posted to alt.sailing.tall-ships
CJB CJB is offline

Default City of Adelaide - latest 2

http://cityofadelaide.org.au/Latest-...edia-Articles/

Current Status - as of 28 August 2010

Fiona Hyslop, the Scottish Minister for Culture and External Affairs,
today (28th August) named South Australia as the likely new home for
the 'City of Adelaide'. The Minister has named our Australian group,
the Clipper Ship 'City of Adelaide' Ltd., as the preferred bidder to
move the internationally important vessel from its slipway in Scotland
where it has lain for over a decade.

Ms Hyslop said: "The 'City of Adelaide' has an illustrious past shared
by two nations, Scotland and Australia. This bid gives us the
opportunity to save the ship, build on that link, and open up the
potential for both countries to recognise partnerships and shared
heritage on an international scale.

"We can now have a link between Scotland and Australia which allows
both nations to share the vessel’s historical, cultural and social
significance through tourism, interpretation and education. If the
vessel moves within the timescales suggested, the ship will arrive in
Adelaide in time for the celebration of South Australia's Jubilee Year
in 2011 celebrating the 175th anniversary of the State."

Cunninghame South MSP Irene Oldfather said: "My first official
engagement as an MSP in 1999 was to the Scottish Martime Museum, where
I was first made aware of the plight of the ship. Having now
campaigned for over a decade to save the vessel, there have been times
when it looked like the case had been lost. Now, we have found a
solution, and there is a positive outlook for the ship.

"While it will be a sadly missed feature of the Irvine harbour area,
personally I believe that preserving the vessel for future generations
is the single most important factor that had to be taken into account.
It appears that the Adelaide bid offers that way forward.

"The transfer of the ship to Adelaide will help to strengthen the
shared cultural and historical bonds between Scotland and Australia. I
look forward to seeing how the plan for the transfer progresses."

Sam Galbraith, Chair of Trustees, Maritime Museum , also welcomed the
announcement. He said: "This is a great step forward. We were
delighted with the quality of the Australian bid as they clearly
thought through the way they would deal with the challenging task of
moving the boat."

Our Patron, His Excellency Rear Admiral Kevin Scarce AC CSC RANR,
Governor of South Australia, said "This is a great achievement and
represents the culmination of a great deal of work over the past two
years. We now have the chance to preserve this historic vessel for the
enjoyment of this and future generations of South Australians."

The Chairman of our Adelaide group, Creagh O’Connor, said he was
"thrilled and delighted" with the news and elated that the decade long
campaign to bring the clipper to Adelaide had succeeded.

A report looking at possible options for the 'City of Adelaide' was
commissioned by Historic Scotland and will be available online
shortly. The options we

1.Removal to Sunderland in England
2.Removal to Adelaide in South Australia
3.Removal to a different location in Scotland
4.Managed (archaeological) Deconstruction of the vessel

We propose to preserve the 'City of Adelaide' on a land-based maritime
precinct at Port Adelaide, and provide for the co-location of other
historic vessels at the same site. The South Australian Government has
agreed to provide land for the maritime precinct. The objective is for
the ship to be moved in time to celebrate South Australia’s 175th
anniversary in 2011.