Default NL - Den Helder [botterrace, waiting for the tall-ships to arrive....] - File 01 of 10 - botterrace1-10.jpg (0/1)

Some pictures of the botter-rece (a botter is the type of traditional
fishing vessel shown in the pictures) in Den Helder. This proved to be a
good day for taking picturs, all kinds of interesting things going on.

27 botters in total participated in the race and had to battle against the
strong currents and wind, before crossing the starting line. Meanwhile the
Royal Netherlands Navy decided to have some training exercise as well, so I
had a sub leaving port, crosssing the field and later on submerging fairly
cloise to shore (no close-up of that unfortuantely). Furthermore some
helicopter training and the amphibious landing ship were also in action.

Unfortunately the wind was strong enough to shake my tripod, so not all the
pictures are in focus...

Anyway, we're now waiting for the 76 tall-ships to finish (ETA Wednesday
the 20th of August) for the Tall ship-race event. More info on this:
http://www.thetallshipsraces2008denhelder.nl/ I hope to be able to shoot
some pictures. If you're anyway near Den Helder it might be worth a visit!

Regards and enjoy,

Jeroen

"Jeronimus" schreef in bericht
3.133...
[...]

Thanks for the nice botters Jeroen, I had an uncle who was fishing with a
botter on the Zuiderzee before the afsluitdijk made that impossible.
--
Greetings
Bouler (The Netherlands)

"Bouler" wrote in
:

Thanks for the nice botters Jeroen, I had an uncle who was fishing
with a botter on the Zuiderzee before the afsluitdijk made that
impossible.

Thanx Bouler!! The anual botterrace in Den Helder seems to be quite
succesfull. I hope they will be able to organise the race in the future
aswell. As the start and finish, and some of the race, take place close to
the shore, the sea-dike offerse an excellent spectators platform!! (and
photgraphers platform).

I do wonder what the Zuiderzee would have been, if the Afsluitdijk hadn't
been built.. Most amazing are the harbours which used to be on the
seashore, but are now land-locked (Schokland, and closes to my home
Kolhorn, etc.) due to the polders that have been built...

Anyway, hope you'll be able to visit Den Helder this week.

Regards,

Jeroen

"Jeronimus" schreef in bericht
3.133...

Thanks for the nice botters Jeroen, I had an uncle who was fishing
with a botter on the Zuiderzee before the afsluitdijk made that
impossible.

Thanx Bouler!! The anual botterrace in Den Helder seems to be quite
succesfull. I hope they will be able to organise the race in the future
aswell. As the start and finish, and some of the race, take place close to
the shore, the sea-dike offerse an excellent spectators platform!! (and
photgraphers platform).

That would be real nice for you.

I do wonder what the Zuiderzee would have been, if the Afsluitdijk hadn't
been built.. Most amazing are the harbours which used to be on the
seashore, but are now land-locked (Schokland, and closes to my home
Kolhorn, etc.) due to the polders that have been built...

You only can dream about that, the Afsluitdijk was build to protect the land
from the sea and all the old fisherplaces are living monuments now.
BTW if there was no afsluitdijk, "Schokland" had diappeared under the water
I'm sure.

Anyway, hope you'll be able to visit Den Helder this week.

I can forget that Jeroen, healtproblems won't let me.
So please make pictures for me;-)
--
Greetings
Bouler (The Netherlands)