Default FW: salvage 1961 steel Trintel 1 yacht Ohio

Dear all,

as webmaster of www.trintella.org I recieved an email of Jim Egensperger.
As this group contains a lot of classic enthusiasts I thought some of you
might be interested and in the position to help Jim. Information on
Trintel yachts can be found on www.trintel.org.

Regards,

Jeroen

MESSAGE OF JIM:

I have been made aware of a small classic sailboat here in NE Ohio (Lake
Erie) that has been abandoned to the local yacht club which is in the
process of cutting it up for scrap. The Mentor Harbor Yacht Club now has
title to this vessel and just wants it out of the yard ASAP.

I am no expert, but I do recognize classic lines and yacht building
craftsmanship and wonder if you might know if this vessel is worth saving
and who might be interested in having it.

The primary thing that that got me thinking this yacht might be special
is the finely crafted steel hull. I thought that was unique for this size
and vintage and overall the steel appears to be in good condition, both
skin and ribs. The wood deck and cabin top needs the most work. The
original wooden mast is already destroyed.

As best I can determine so far, the boat is a E.G. Van de Stadt Trintel 1
(8.5 meter, just under 28') built by Shipyard Anne Weaver in Den Bosch,
The Netherlands in 1961. About 120 of the Trintel 1 and Trintel 1A were
built starting in 1960. As yet we can't confirm the hull number, but I
believe the rudder configuration identifies this boat as one of the
earliest Trintel's. The Trintel models built in steel were the
predesessors of the Trintella line built in GRP. It is powered by a one
cylinder 10HP diesel Sabb (yes, Sabb is the correct spelling) engine from
Norway vintage late 1950's. The engine looks good (we may try to start it
this weekend). The boat was used often up until just a few years ago. It
has spent many (perhaps all) of it's years on the "sweet water seas" of
the Great Lakes and that may have contributed to the overall good
condition of the hull. We even have three original sails from a loft in
Holland, a "sunburst" cut fine nylon spinnaker and two miter cut
headsails (all in amazingly good condition for almost 50 years old with
no mildew!).

If this old yacht is anything worth saving for anybody, we need to know
ASAP to stop the cutting torch. I will be glad to help facilitate from
this end in any way that I can. I have no ownership or financial interest
in this boat. I just don't want it lost if it might be special.

I will be sending a few pictures with this message, and then more pics in
a second message so I don't overload my mail system.

My complete contact information is
Jim Egensperger
[see: www.trintella.org for instructions on how to obtain the contact
details]