Default River Ice Breaking 01

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 23:56:45 +0200, "Bouler"
wrote:

"L D'Bonnie" schreef in bericht
om...
On the Red River in Manitoba. During the spring break up ice will
occasionally jamb up and dam the river, flooding the surrounding area.
The Amphibex machine breaks up the ice so that it will move down stream
without piling up. The link is to the Amphibex web site

http://www.normrock.ca/1/The_Amphibex/The_Amphibex

What a great invention, seeïng the video's on the page its simply great.
I never saw a ship like this, thats the interesting thing of this newsgroup.

Starting years ago with Tallships, we ran out of pictures from, Tallships.
Then the regulars decided to accept any ship because we are all lovers of
the sea.
Even lighthouses are allowed, even a wooden shoe with a sail.
That keeps this NG alive.
If we only accepted tallships this group would be dead by now.

What Bouler said. I approve.

Bouler added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

[...]

Then, crazy people like me came along and started posting "short
ships" and kids sitting on battleship guns and the like! grin
But, as a late-comer, I think the group collectively made a good
decision to broaden the charter of this NG else the number of posts
would be quite small. I'm very happy to be a novice member and I
really like the people here. Plus, I've found a number of very good
pictures to add to my non-car collection so it's a win-win for me.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"That's all I have to say about that" - Forrest Gump

joevan added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

[snip]
Starting years ago with Tallships, we ran out of pictures from,
Tallships. Then the regulars decided to accept any ship because
we are all lovers of the sea.
Even lighthouses are allowed, even a wooden shoe with a sail.
That keeps this NG alive.
If we only accepted tallships this group would be dead by now.

What Bouler said. I approve.

jevan, I hardly want to inject some sillyness about formalizing the
activities of this NG with a set of rules/FAQs unless there is
broad support for such a thing. But, do you, Bouler, anyone think
that at least an INFORMAL document should be put together? I'm also
not trying to create work for anyone, I certainly don't have the
time to take this on. Perhaps it is a moot question since everyone
seems to get along quite well with no FAQs or even posting
guidelines and I've not seen any flame wars as far back as my NSP
has posts so there must be pretty universal agreement with what is
being posted and folks must either like it or are at least neutral.

So, what do you and the others think might/should be done, if
anything? What brought this up is the ice-breaking "ship" which I
personally found extremely interesting as I've never seen such a
beast nor ever even thought about why it might be necessary, so I
say - bring 'em on!

--
HP, aka Jerry

"That's all I have to say about that" - Forrest Gump

"HEMI-Powered" schreef in bericht

Starting years ago with Tallships, we ran out of pictures from,
Tallships. Then the regulars decided to accept any ship because
we are all lovers of the sea.
Even lighthouses are allowed, even a wooden shoe with a sail.
That keeps this NG alive.
If we only accepted tallships this group would be dead by now.

Then, crazy people like me came along and started posting "short
ships" and kids sitting on battleship guns and the like! grin
But, as a late-comer, I think the group collectively made a good
decision to broaden the charter of this NG else the number of posts
would be quite small. I'm very happy to be a novice member and I
really like the people here. Plus, I've found a number of very good
pictures to add to my non-car collection so it's a win-win for me.

Keep it that way;-)
--
Greetings
Bouler (The Netherlands)

[...]

Its Joevan Jerry, Joevan and I know each other for years and have
e-mailcontacs now and than.
I think this club of friends does not use a faq or other rules, there are
already to many rules in the wold that stops creativity and freedom.
Some rules are OK, but a lot of rules made by Governements make people like
robots, they don't think anymore but just follow a leader and thats
dangerous.
Oops I was serious;-)
--
Greetings
Bouler (The Netherlands)

HEMI-Powered wrote:
[...]

We are all familiar with the term rules are made to be broken.

There is no trouble until the rules get broken. This is the most
laid back newsgroup I have seen in over twenty years of usernet.
My advice is, If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

By the way there are many unusual craft on or near the water
Cranes, Dredges, Platforms etc. For example:

http://www.boeing.com/special/sea-launch/

I wouldn't mind seeing photos of these. Not much chance of that
thing floating down the Red River in January. Seems like a few
others here have quite an active curiosity as well.

LdB

[...]

Yes, I made a typo, Bouler. My apologies to jOevan.

I think this club of friends does not use a faq or other rules,
there are already to many rules in the wold that stops
creativity and freedom. Some rules are OK, but a lot of rules
made by Governements make people like robots, they don't think
anymore but just follow a leader and thats dangerous.
Oops I was serious;-)

Fine by me. I just wanted to bring the subject up for a mild
discussion. One of my old bosses used to say "no decision is in
itself a decision", a quote from my "Famous Quotes" document, and I
believe that is how this group wants to deal with it.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"That's all I have to say about that" - Forrest Gump

"HEMI-Powered" schreef in bericht

Its Joevan Jerry, Joevan and I know each other for years and
have e-mailcontacs now and than.

Yes, I made a typo, Bouler. My apologies to jOevan.

I think this club of friends does not use a faq or other rules,
there are already to many rules in the wold that stops
creativity and freedom. Some rules are OK, but a lot of rules
made by Governements make people like robots, they don't think
anymore but just follow a leader and thats dangerous.
Oops I was serious;-)

Fine by me. I just wanted to bring the subject up for a mild
discussion. One of my old bosses used to say "no decision is in
itself a decision", a quote from my "Famous Quotes" document, and I
believe that is how this group wants to deal with it.

Well I cannot speak for the whole group, but I'm hanging around here for 8
years and seldom trouble in this group.
--
Greetings
Bouler (The Netherlands)

[...]

In my brief visits to this NG at your suggestion, I have found it
to be one of the friendliest of all the Usenet NGs I have ever
visited along with a.b.p.wallpaper and wallpaper.duplicates. I said
when I initially started to post that I did not want to be any sort
of disruptive influence and I believe I have kept to that promise.
So, as to formalizing this NG, let's just let it drop. The entire
discussion got started, I think, by my off-hand joking comment that
the ice-breaking machine in this series was a "tall-ship" I could
identify with. Perhaps I shouldn't have said that at all.
Hopefully, no harm was done and we can all go back to just enjoying
the pictures of whatever people desire to share with us.

[...]

I know it, sometimes I'm to serious;-)
--
Greetings
Bouler (The Netherlands)

[IMG] code is On

River Ice Breaking 03 L D'Bonnie Tall Ship Photos 0 April 12th 08 07:57 PM
breaking news Jim General 1 February 1st 08 03:41 AM
Entering but not breaking [email protected] Cruising 39 September 14th 05 11:48 PM
Breaking News! Yachtsman General 3 April 28th 04 05:14 PM