Gudmundur

Default Hot rodding an OMC 70hp triple, any leads?

Hi folks,

I have an Evinrude 70hp triple on my everyday openbow runabout.
I would like to try to make 100hp, but without revving it to death,
just more ponies in the normal 4700 to 5200 range.

The engine seems very durable and has the large gearcase used on
motors up to 140hp, so it would seem like a good candidate for a
bit of a build-up.

I know I could just put a 100hp 4 cylinder on my hull, but that kind
of takes the fun out of it. I have 2 of these 70hp triples out in the
garage missing various external parts, and either of these could be
built up, while still running my everyday engine. It would mean more
to me to hear somebody say "Damn, that little 70 of yours really kicks
ass", as opposed to "So, you got a V4 back there".

It seems Montyracing doesn't mess with triples, only V4/V6 stuff.
Anyone have any thoughts on my project? Any leads? Oh, BTW, I trailer
the boat with my 1948 International KB1 pickup with a 142 cubic inch
blower sitting on a Chevy 350, and no, I don't mash it with the boat
back there, as I think snapping the hitch ball completely off is a real
possibility!

Bowgus

Well supercharge the outboard too ... 8 psi should give the required
additional 35 hp :-)