Bowgus

Here's an article that may be of interest while you're researching
outrdrives ... lower right of page ... Pros and Cons: propulsion
http://www.soundingspub.com/ME2/Default.asp

"HotRod" wrote in message
Regardless of motors can anyone recommend some outdrives for an inboard
diesel that I should look at? I'd like to look for something used, once I
know what to look for I can google for more information

THANKS

habbi

I am commercial aquaculture farmer and many of us have 30' aluminum boat
which we use everyday. The best setup is a diesel with marine transmission
and an outdrive such as a konrad
http://www.konradmarine.com/
or sternpowr www.lancingmarine.com/Sternpowr_sterndrives.pdf
2 other drive system that seem good are www.dbdmarine.com and
http://www.arneson-industries.com/
All of these outdrives have no gearbox, forward reverse and neutral is done
inside the boat by the transmission. This is expensive though,
$40000.00-$50000.00 can for one of the first 2 with a ~250hp diesel and
transmission. The DBD outdrive is around6-7000 US. A common alternative
around here is getting used Volvo diesel sterndrives from
x-RCMP and coast guard boats. These are 6 cylinder ~230hp and can be bought
for around $10000.00can.
Personally I made a big mistake and bought a Johnson 250hp for my 31'. There
is no comparison between this and a diesel in terms of power, fuel
consumption. Last year I burnt around $10000.00 in gasoline and a guy I know
with 2 similar diesel boats only burnt ~$3500.00 and both of his boats were
out as much as my 1. His 230hp diesels is perform like a speed boats
(35+mph) and my 250 is like a tug, empty it just starts to plane at around
20mph and that is top speed.