Ron Netzley

Default There's Records - then there's Records!

Can't help it - but the Bud is not the "Fastest Propellor Boat" Nor is Vilwock
the fastest propellor boat driver in the world.
Those claims HAVE to go to the boat (Blown Fuel Hydro) 'Wildside' and it's
Driver.
245.82 mph.
OK, OK - it was (only) a 1/4 mile run .... but when have you ever seen an
Unlimited go 200 mph in a 1/4 mile?
My point is - There are records and then there are records ... but the fastest
ANY propellor boat has ever gone is the 245.82 that was done by Wildside!

The Bud is the Fastest Unlimited Boat in the world ~ yes ... And they (the
Driver and Crew) deserve all the credit due!!!

But ...

Netz135

Rusty

"Ron Netzley" wrote in message
Can't help it - but the Bud is not the "Fastest Propellor Boat" Nor is

Vilwock
the fastest propellor boat driver in the world.
Those claims HAVE to go to the boat (Blown Fuel Hydro) 'Wildside' and it's
Driver.
245.82 mph.
OK, OK - it was (only) a 1/4 mile run .... but when have you ever seen an
Unlimited go 200 mph in a 1/4 mile?
My point is - There are records and then there are records ... but the

fastest
ANY propellor boat has ever gone is the 245.82 that was done by Wildside!

The Bud is the Fastest Unlimited Boat in the world ~ yes ... And they (the
Driver and Crew) deserve all the credit due!!!

But ...

Netz135

Cool....I was just going by the records recognized by Union Internationale
Motonautique, the international certifying body for records.

I'm rather unfamiliar with drag boats. Is the speed the max speed that was
reached during the quarter mile? or an average speed over a certain distance?

For what it's worth, Villwock topped out at over 229 on the second run through
the course, then lost his prop and rudder at roughly 227 jut after crossing
the finish line. Rather lucky to end up in one piece!

Rusty

Ron Netzley

It's been awhile for me (i raced back in the 70's) but as I remember the boats
speed is measured in the last 132 ft. of the 1/4 mile.
Whether the UIM recognizes Drag boat records of not - I,m not sure.
I luv the Unlimiteds - but for pure awesome power - the Blown Alky/Fuel boats
have no equal.

Netz135

Alex

The UIM recognises Drag Boat records, its just that no one has put one in.

The UIM accpets the USA APBA rules for Drag Boat Racing. It all rather
depends upon the relationship between the various drag boat bodies, and
the US APBA. I know the NHBA has some kind of partnership aggreement,
but am fuzzy on the details. (I am from Australia, and was involved in
Drags over here)

You are correct the speed is taken from the last 10% of the course.
However in most auto sports, a 2 way run over a measuered mile is used,
the UIM accpets a measured Kilometer, Mile or Nautical mile course.

The UIM has various classes, but I dont think they race inboards much in
Europe. The R Unlimited class record is held by a diesel hydroplane.
The UIM also accepts all US APBA classes for records and Championships.

Incedently romour has it that Ken Warby (currant world outright speed
record holder) will be putting on an exhabition run of his new boat at
one of our events over here in a few weeks, prob wont go fast, as its a
river and not very straight, just to impress one of his sponsors who
comes from the local area. I'll have a camera with me, and will put up
some pics if it happens, perhaps some video, as I did with one of our
races here a few months ago

Rusty wrote:
[...]

Alex

Thinking on it some more. Neither the UIM or the US APBA recognises a
"propellor driven record class" so its more an honary or infered title,
with no rules in place, other than the actual speed, so I spose that the
Honary Title for fastest propellor driven boat must go to a drag boat.

Rusty wrote:
[...]

Ron Netzley

Interesting!
My wife and I met Kan a few years back at the Unlimited Races in Madison
Indiana. He told us he has breakfast every morning with an ex-employer of mine.
I worked at a marina in Miami Town where Ken has his business.
I wish him well in his future challenges!

Netz135
(the 135 is my old drag boat # that i used)
Mike J.

Hello Ron, Im trying to get some information
about a drag boat called 'Liquid Thunder".
Theres a guy who has a place near me on
the Colorado river who says he owns the Boat.
Just wondering.
Mike