Default Damn, it's cold

On Nov 2, 6:42*pm, BAR wrote:
JimH wrote:
On Nov 2, 6:02 pm, Tim wrote:

mod 70's here. maybe rain Thursday *Local gas is $2:14!

$1.86 at a local station today. *;-)

We are expected to be in the high 60's to low 70's for most of the
week. *A nice window to get some outdoor pre-winterization chores
completed.

I hope you get two flat tires.

Whatever.

On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 15:22:44 -0800 (PST), JimH
wrote:

We are expected to be in the high 60's to low 70's for most of the
week. A nice window to get some outdoor pre-winterization chores
completed.

Outdoor pre-winterization chores? Like putting away the hurricane
shutters and getting the boats ready for the winter cruising season?

"Jim" wrote in message ...
Eisboch wrote:
Must be getting old.

39 degrees, but the humidity is fairly high, producing that bone piercing
cold that permeates every coat, hat, sweater that you wear.

Winters suck. And it's only November second. Can't even enjoy my new
boat that I got today.

Eisboch

Oh come on. Tell us all about it.

You are going to laugh.

Do you remember the 17' Sailfish CC I had many years ago? The boat was a
'91 but had an older, 70 hp Evinrude engine that was rebuilt by Joel?

I had "sold" (given really) that boat to my older son's father-in-law. He
used it on a lake up in Maine for the last 10 years or so. He can't use it
anymore due to some health issues, so I now have it back in the driveway.

This is the boat that I made the famous exit out of the North River, hit a
freak wave, knocked myself out and then got lost in the fog.

I always liked it. It's a very stable and very good handling boat. I had
eventually replaced it with a 16' Boston Whaler Dauntless, but was
disappointed. The Sailfish is a better handling small boat for near shore
fishing, lobster trap hauling or general screwing around. Mrs.E used to
take it out all the time.

Eisboch

"Richard Casady" wrote in message

Eisboch wrote:
Must be getting old.

39 degrees, but the humidity is fairly high, producing that bone
piercing
cold that permeates every coat, hat, sweater that you wear.

In Iowa, far from the moderating influence of the sea, we occasionally
get more than a week of temperatures below 0 F. _That_ is bone
chilling cold. The cold air comes from central Canada at high speed
and doesn't warm up much on the way.

Get a down parka. It doesn't have to be subzero to wear the subzero
coat. Mine cost five bucks, new, at Goodwill. Still had the snap on
hood with it. Get a kilt but don't wear it. Hang it on the wall and
look at it, and tell yourself it could be worse.

Winter indeed sucks. I am 61, and yes, it gets worse as you get older.

Casady

The 39 degrees by itself isn't bad. Like the saying goes, "it's the
humidity". New England, at this time of year, can have some cold temps,
but the humidity is still high, affected by coastal storms. The two weather
elements combine to make if feel much colder than it is. I'd prefer dry,
15 degree weather. It doesn't feel as bone chilling cold.

Eisboch

"Boater" wrote in message

I'm scheduled to be up in Boston later this week...and out on some
commercial construction sites. I'm hoping for temps at least in the 50's.
I don't want to bring anything heavier than my "light" winter coat.
Downside is that I have to fly up and back rather than take the Acela. The
trip is quite pleasant on the train.

If the weather stays as it has been for the past few days, I'd pack
something heavier.
Today I was wearing a thermal lined parka which was fine during the day, but
by 3 or 4 pm it was getting too cold for it.

Which new boat did you get this time? :)

I reacquired a boat that I had many years ago ... a 17' Sailfish CC. I
used to have a picture of Mrs.E. taking it out on the old, original "Boats
of Rec.Boats" website.

Eisboch

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

Outdoor pre-winterization chores? Like putting away the hurricane
shutters and getting the boats ready for the winter cruising season?

Every crowd has to have a wise-ass.
Florida is sounding very nice to me right about now.

Eisboch

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 17:12:49 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

Winters suck. And it's only November second. Can't even enjoy my new
boat
that I got today.

Yes.

So what did you get ?

As I mentioned to a couple of others, it's an old 17' Sailfish CC that I
owned about 10 years ago.

Eisboch

Jim Jim is offline

Eisboch wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message ...
Eisboch wrote:
[...]

I recall that one. It was in fine condition. I hope it still is.

"Jim" wrote in message

I recall that one. It was in fine condition. I hope it still is.

It is. Joel did a good job I guess because the engine still purrs. The
only thing wrong with the boat or engine is the hydraulic cylinder for the
engine tilt is leaky. I can probably get a new one (or rebuilt) up at
Monihan's.

Eisboch

On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 20:32:03 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

Florida is sounding very nice to me right about now.

Not to rub it in or anything but we are just heading in to some really
fine boating weather, sort of like New England in July/August but no
humidity or thunderstorms.

Damn! Anyone want to buy... HK General 10 June 9th 07 02:15 AM
DAMN!!! Bobsprit ASA 2 September 18th 03 11:09 AM
Damn!!!! Bobsprit ASA 18 July 15th 03 11:03 PM