Default Boating and caving do go together

Check this out, kaying inside a huge cave.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...ml/photo2.html

Reminds me of the enormous room in Borneo that is so large a small
airplane flew into it.
Here in the USA, the largest room is in Tenn. called Camps Gulf.

On Oct 23, 12:01*pm, wrote:
Check this out, kaying inside a huge cave.http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...lleries/river-...

Reminds me of the enormous room in Borneo that is so large a small
airplane flew into it.
Here in the USA, the largest room is in Tenn. called Camps Gulf.

Interesting, I didn't know that! You probably have a working knowledge
of those guys that started in a small cave somewhere around Cave City,
KY and ended up in the what was then the dining room in Mamouth Cave.
Really interesting (to me) story.

On Oct 23, 12:49 pm, wrote:
On Oct 23, 12:01 pm, wrote:

Check this out, kaying inside a huge cave.http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...lleries/river-...

Reminds me of the enormous room in Borneo that is so large a small
airplane flew into it.
Here in the USA, the largest room is in Tenn. called Camps Gulf.

Interesting, I didn't know that! You probably have a working knowledge
of those guys that started in a small cave somewhere around Cave City,
KY and ended up in the what was then the dining room in Mamouth Cave.
Really interesting (to me) story.

Friend of mine was an avid kayaker but was unfamiliar with N. FL
rivers. He took his kayak down the Aucilla River from US27 planning
to go all the way to the Gulf of Mexico. Everythin went fine until
the end of the second day when the river came to a stop. It just
ended. Well, he had heard of rivers in these parts going underground
for a short ways and then coming back up so they got out and carried
their boats a short distance to where it came back up. Then it did it
again, then again and he gave up. This river goes underground 23
times.

On Oct 23, 9:47*pm, wrote:
On Oct 23, 12:49 pm, wrote:

On Oct 23, 12:01 pm, wrote:

[...]

Yeah it's pretty cool. One time a few years back, a team actually
mapped paths for several underground rivers in Florida using sonar (I
think). The areas that were short enough runs teams of divers with
cameras went in. I'm going to look for that, I'm not sure now if it
was National Geo. or who.

On Oct 24, 9:17 am, wrote:
On Oct 23, 9:47 pm, wrote:

On Oct 23, 12:49 pm, wrote:

On Oct 23, 12:01 pm, wrote:

[...]

Nowadays, the Wakulla Springs/Emerald sink/little dismal sink system
of underground rivers is the longest mapped underwater cave and it is
about 16 miles south of where I live. Divers last year did the first
"thru" trip going from one end to the other a distance of over 15
miles using scooters, rebreathers, staged tanks, an underwater/
underground habitat. It required several trips in from opposite ends
to place all this stuff for them to make this possible.
Dye tracing has connected this system to another series of springs on
the coast another 15 miles away at Spring Creek.
In 1986, a good friend of mine Bill McFadden who I did a lot of dry
caving with died during the first ultra-deep dives in Little Dismal
when the exploration really got started. His BC inflated suddenly in
a dome carrying him up over 120' very fast. When the other divers got
him down, he was alive but not responsive to anything and they could
nto get him thru a constriction where it is necessary to take off
tanks and he died. An Autopsy showed he got a brain embolism in the
rapid ascent. I can understand the desire to explore underwater caves
but I still think cave diving is simply an elaborate form of delayed
suicide, you make any mistake, you die.
However, another caving frontier is lunar lava tubes. On the moon,
these caves would be much larger than on earth and would be ideal for
lunar habitats. They could also be traps for volatile materials like
ice from comets. I consider this to be so exciting that I would
volunteer for a one-way trip to explore them.

On Oct 24, 10:38*am, wrote:
On Oct 24, 9:17 am, wrote:

On Oct 23, 9:47 pm, wrote:

On Oct 23, 12:49 pm, wrote:

On Oct 23, 12:01 pm, wrote:

[...]

volunteer for a one-way trip to explore them.- Hide quoted text -

Here's some good stuff:
http://www.floridasprings.org/expedi...atch3/page.php