Default More on Colin Powell's Endorsement of Obama

Colin Powell endorses Barack Obama for president
By STEPHEN OHLEMACHER, Associated Press Writer Stephen Ohlemacher,
Associated Press Writer 8 mins ago

WASHINGTON – Former Secretary of State Colin Powell endorsed Democrat
Barack Obama for president Sunday, describing the Illinois senator as a
"transformational figure."

Powell said both Obama and Republican John McCain are qualified to be
commander in chief. But he said Obama is better suited to handle the
nation's economic problems as well as help improve its standing in the
world.

"It isn't easy for me to disappoint Sen. McCain in the way that I have
this morning, and I regret that," Powell said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

"But I firmly believe that at this point in America's history, we need a
president that will not just continue, even with a new face and with the
changes and with some maverick aspects, who will not just continue
basically the policies that we have been following in recent years,"
Powell said.

"I think we need a transformational figure. I think we need a president
who is a generational change and that's why I'm supporting Barack Obama,
not out of any lack of respect or admiration for Sen. John McCain."

Powell's endorsement has been much anticipated because he is a
Republican with impressive foreign policy credentials. At the same time,
he is a black man and Obama would be the nation's first black president.

Powell said he was cognizant of the racial aspect of his endorsement,
but said that was not the dominant factor in his decision. If it was, he
said, he would have made the endorsement months ago.

Powell served as secretary of state in President Bush's first term, and
helped make the case before the United Nations for the U.S.-led invasion
of Iraq in March 2003. A retired general, Powell also was the nation's
top military commander, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, during
the first Gulf war under President George H.W. Bush.

McCain said he disagreed that Obama is qualified to be president.

"We have a respectful disagreement," McCain, interviewed on "Fox News
Sunday," said of Powell.

Powell said McCain has been a good friend for 25 years. But Powell
expressed disappointment in the negative tone of McCain's campaign, as
well as in his choice of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as the Republican vice
presidential nominee.

"I don't believe she's ready to be president of the United States,"
Powell said.

Powell said he does not plan to campaign for Obama.

"Boater" wrote in message

"I think we need a transformational figure. I think we need a president
who is a generational change and that's why I'm supporting Barack Obama,
not out of any lack of respect or admiration for Sen. John McCain."

As much as I admire him for his honesty, Powell has been mislead and wrong
before. He's only human.

Eisboch

Eisboch wrote:
"Boater" wrote in message

"I think we need a transformational figure. I think we need a president
who is a generational change and that's why I'm supporting Barack Obama,
not out of any lack of respect or admiration for Sen. John McCain."

As much as I admire him for his honesty, Powell has been mislead and wrong
before. He's only human.

Eisboch

The American people were mislead by the Bush Campaign in 2000 and 2004.

Tim Tim is offline

On Oct 19, 10:13*am, Boater wrote:
Eisboch wrote:
"Boater" wrote in message

"I think we need a transformational figure. I think we need a president
who is a generational change and that's why I'm supporting Barack Obama,
not out of any lack of respect or admiration for Sen. John McCain."

As much as I admire him for his honesty, Powell has been mislead and wrong
before. *He's only human.

Eisboch

The American people were mislead by the Bush Campaign in 2000 and 2004.

And Sec. Powell was part of the 2000, and 2004 Bush campaign so that
also made him a misleader?

Eisboch wrote:
"Boater" wrote in message

"I think we need a transformational figure. I think we need a president
who is a generational change and that's why I'm supporting Barack
Obama,
not out of any lack of respect or admiration for Sen. John McCain."

As much as I admire him for his honesty, Powell has been mislead and
wrong
before. He's only human.

Eisboch

The American people were mislead by the Bush Campaign in 2000 and 2004.

And Sec. Powell was part of the 2000, and 2004 Bush campaign so that
also made him a misleader?

I think it was pretty obvious that Powell did not agree with the current
administration. Even before 2004. His leaving was no surprise to many. He
stayed loyal to the party in spite of differences in opinion. A lot of
retired generals are much more cautious about military actions that
civilians. They know from experience that the cost is higher and the
results more ellusive than the surface facts suggest. Clearly proven in
this current mess. Frankly I hope Obama considers Powell for a return to
public service.

Eisboch wrote:
"Boater" wrote in message
[...]

Powell's comments yesterday, both on Meet the Press and afterwards, were
absolutely devastating to the McCain campaign. I don't think I've ever
heard a more direct and erudite non-endorsement and endorsement of two
candidates.

The righties on one of the gun boards I read are just this side of a
mass stroke of the collective and, predictably, are now claiming that
Colin Powell is a traitor to America. This is precisely the sort of
commentary the McCain campaign is dredging up with its over-the-top
negative campaigning.

I think Obama will win in a squeaker in the popular vote and will do
better in the EC. My preference would be for Obama to absolutely
slaughter McCain and Palin in the popular vote, too, since, because of
the trash campaign they are running, they deserve humiliation, along
with the Republican base. If Obama were white, he'd probably be 15
points ahead right now.
Tim Tim is offline

Eisboch wrote:
"Boater" wrote in message

[...]

public service.- Hide quoted text -

Oh, I'm not disputing that, but I thought it was intresting that Harry
would use an such an indirect comment (which i didn't see had much to
do with the thread) of:

"The American people were mislead by the Bush Campaign in 2000 and
2004. "

So that told me that if the Bush campaign/administraiton is full of
nothing but "sinners" then that would have to include Mr. Powell as
well.

Guilt by association, y'know.

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:36:50 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

So that told me that if the Bush campaign/administraiton is full of
nothing but "sinners" then that would have to include Mr. Powell as
well.

Guilt by association, y'know.

Powell made a fool of himself getting up there in the UN and pointing
out satellite pics as WMD factories.
It was all proven to be BS.
The one that stands out was one location he went into a bunch of
detail about, pointing at this vehicle being for this WMD purpose, and
that vehicle being for that WMD purpose.
I saw the on-the-ground video of the place when our boys got there.
It was just a semi-trailer junk yard.
Lost all respect for him then.
Any time I look at him his face takes on the appearance of an omelet.

--Vic

Eisboch wrote:
"Boater" wrote in message
[...]

Doubtful. It only had an impact on those who need others to decide
for them who they should vote for and in that case most of that group
will be voting for Nobama anyway.

Eisboch wrote:
"Boater" wrote in message
[...]

will be voting for Nobama anyway.- Hide quoted text -

Some of your statement is true. There are those that no matter what
their party leader has done to them, and their country, will vote for
the next one to come along no matter what. Like those who'll vote for
McCain because he's republican, no matter that he's a leading
proponent of Bush's failed economy.

First Endorsement of a Dem for Pres in 72 Years A Real Boater General 5 September 30th 08 04:03 AM
Colin Archer design sam General 0 June 22nd 07 09:56 AM
Colin Archer design sam Boat Building 0 June 22nd 07 09:43 AM
Dean to get major endorsement? Calif Bill General 1 November 7th 03 03:52 AM