Default Salt tablets?

wrote in message
Vic suggested using salt tablets for extreme sweating and I have to
admit I have never used salt tablets and dont use much salt on my food
either. I cannot seem to convince my doc that the sweating is a
serious problem; he simply says to drink a lot of water. However, it
has come close to killing me twice while caving so I can no longer do
any real caving. Caves are a near 100% humidity enviro and around
here are roughly 74 degrees so I sweat enough to have my coveralls
saturated very quickly. The last couple times I went, I got loopy and
got lost and simply didnt care.
When boating, I can carry a lot of water so I always have a liter in
hand. I never drink sodas and am not into sports drinks either. This
issue makes me not want to go boating by myself so I am looking for a
solution. Sweating is your bodies way to get cool so isnt suppressing
sweating a bad thing? One can normally cool off during boating too by
jumping in the water but when working on the boat in the heat, I just
dont want to take the time to do that until suddenly I realize, uh oh,
am doing stupid things...............
So, salt tabs or not?

What a difference up here in our climate.
Most times I'll leave the house around 1030..drive to launch site..boat for
a few hours and drive home by 1630 or so..without one drop of water or
anything else.
Doesn't bother me a bit...in fact it keeps the bathroom breaks down on a
small open aluminum boat. ;-)

On Sep 30, 12:15*am, "Don White" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

small open aluminum boat. ;-)- Hide quoted text -

A human is always sweating, using up body water.

wrote in message

[...]

Been caving all over, Wyoming in high altitude caves with permanent
ice. Belize with Mayan ruins in the caves, deep Mexican pits (El
Sotano Golundrinas, climbing 1000' on Prusik knots, too old for that
now), Venezuela on the sides of Roraima, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia
caves. I used to do caving near Boaz. Will be going to the TAG Fall
Cave In on Lookout Mt in two weeks. N. FL caves are roughly 73
degrees, Mid Fl caves are 74. N. Alabama caves are roughly 68. The
major diff is the amount of very tight crawling in Fl and S. Georgia
caves. Most Alabama caves have large passages while passages here are
often so small you have to remove your helmet and push with your toes,
almost like trying to swim through rock which is why I sweat so much
there. My kids think caving is the most awesome thing possible and my
12 yr old has done nothing but talk about the Fall Cave Inn for a
month. Will probably do Tumbling Rock cave and Guffeys Cave there,
both easy ones for me. Tumbling Rock has a 250' mountain in a huge
room near the back called Mt Olympus topped with an enormous red
stalagmite 30' tall called "The Pillar of Fire". Get me started and
I'll talk caving all day.

wrote in message

[...]

I'll talk caving all day.- Hide quoted text -

There's some caves out in some fields near Brooksville, FL. My wife's
uncle lives on Lookout Mountain, too, nice place. I really like the
Chattanooga area.

wrote in message

[...]

Does sound like you have an issue with the sweating. Admittedly it's
a bit personal but what's your weight?

wrote in message

[...]

6' 1" and 187 lbs so not as thin as I used to be. The sweating is a
side effect of medicine. Recently found caves near Brooksville are
very pretty. Deepest pit in USA is adjacent to Lookout Mt, 587'
Fantastic Pit, a free rappel but is deep in the cave.

On Sep 30, 1:00*pm, wrote:
On Sep 30, 12:21 pm, wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

Fantastic Pit, a free rappel but is deep in the cave.- Hide quoted text -

I know the caves where we went near Brooksville were off in a fielded/
wooded area, hardly anybody went there.

On Sep 30, 1:10 pm, wrote:
On Sep 30, 1:00 pm, wrote:

On Sep 30, 12:21 pm, wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

I used to want to combine caving and boating by sailing to Belize or
to that river with the lake with Limestone walls in Guatemala where
cruisers go. There are even good caves in the Bahamas. I have not
managed to do this yet. The closest I have gotten is to combine
canoeing and caving around here.

On Sep 30, 1:00*pm, wrote:
On Sep 30, 12:21 pm, wrote:

[...]

OK, this is the first time you've mentioned it. What meds?

wrote in
:

wrote in message

[...]

on a small open aluminum boat. ;-)- Hide quoted text -

A human is always sweating, using up body water.

Drinking plain water in enough quantity can kill you. Some people think
it's cause you "drown" but in reality, it's cause you mess up your
electrolyte balance. It's called "water intoxication". You can google that
term or read about it he

http://kidneydiseases.about.com/od/k...toxication.htm

Per the article, some people got into trouble, because they were sweating
excessivley (usually atheletes) and just like you, "they were losing larges
amounts of both water and sodium in their sweat but they were replacing
their fluid loses with water only." You need to replace that sodium, or
your problem will continue. If you're sweating a ton, you have to replace
the salt, not just the water.

If you don't like sport drinks or salt tablets, try eating some salty foods
such as potato chips or salted nuts. We do our boating on Lake Mojave.
Temps avg 105 to 115 degF. I've seen the consequence of all water and no
salt. The symptons are similar to dehydration.

Salt tablets? BAR[_2_] General 6 September 30th 08 05:01 PM
Salt tablets? Wayne.B General 1 September 30th 08 04:01 AM
How much salt? Gogarty Cruising 5 October 11th 06 03:39 AM
salt water use gccch General 4 January 29th 04 02:46 PM