Default Salt tablets?

On Oct 1, 2:29 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 05:53:21 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
You got an issue and you post asking for advice but the problem seems
to be a side effect of meds you are taking. But you don't tell anyone
what meds they are and you expect to get valuable advice from this
exercise.

Not discussing medication in a public forum is perfectly
understandable but I'd strongly encourage you to discuss the
dehydration issue with your doctor. It could sneak up on you some
time when you're doing something critically important.

OK, OK, Its blood plasma to keep me from turning into a vampire being
out in sunlight.

On Oct 1, 11:16*am, wrote:
On Oct 1, 9:04 am, BAR wrote:

wrote:
On Sep 30, 11:07 pm, wrote:
On Sep 30, 10:31 pm, wrote:

On Sep 30, 9:42 pm, wrote:
On Sep 30, 1:00 pm, wrote:
On Sep 30, 12:21 pm, wrote:
On Sep 30, 10:35 am, wrote:
On Sep 30, 10:11 am, wrote:
On Sep 30, 12:15 am, "Don White" wrote:
wrote in message
Vic suggested using salt tablets for extreme sweating and I have to
admit I have never used salt tablets and dont use much salt on my food
either. *I cannot seem to convince my doc that the sweating is a
serious problem; he simply says to drink a lot of water. *However, it
has come close to killing me twice while caving so I can no longer do
any real caving. *Caves are a near 100% humidity enviro and around
here are roughly 74 degrees so I sweat enough to have my coveralls
saturated very quickly. *The last couple times I went, I got loopy and
got lost and simply didnt care.
When boating, I can carry a lot of water so I always have a liter in
hand. *I never drink sodas and am not into sports drinks either. *This
issue makes me not want to go boating by myself so I am looking for a
solution. *Sweating is your bodies way to get cool so isnt suppressing
sweating a bad thing? *One can normally cool off during boating too by
jumping in the water but when working on the boat in the heat, I just
dont want to take the time to do that until suddenly I realize, uh oh,
am doing stupid things...............
So, salt tabs or not?
What a difference up here in our climate.
Most times I'll leave the house around 1030..drive to launch site..boat for
a few hours and drive home by 1630 or so..without one drop of water or
anything else.
Doesn't bother me a bit...in fact it keeps the bathroom breaks down on a
small open aluminum boat. ;-)- Hide quoted text -
A human is always sweating, using up body water.
Been caving all over, Wyoming in high altitude caves with permanent
ice. *Belize with Mayan ruins in the caves, deep Mexican pits (El
Sotano Golundrinas, climbing 1000' on Prusik knots, too old for that
now), Venezuela on the sides of Roraima, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia
caves. *I used to do caving near Boaz. *Will be going to the TAG Fall
Cave In on Lookout Mt in two weeks. *N. FL caves are roughly 73
degrees, Mid Fl caves are 74. *N. Alabama caves are roughly 68. *The
major diff is the amount of very tight crawling in Fl and S. Georgia
caves. *Most Alabama caves have large passages while passages here are
often so small you have to remove your helmet and push with your toes,
almost like trying to swim through rock which is why I sweat so much
there. *My kids think caving is the most awesome thing possible and my
12 yr old has done nothing but talk about the Fall Cave Inn for a
month. *Will probably do Tumbling Rock cave and Guffeys Cave there,
both easy ones for me. *Tumbling Rock has a 250' mountain in a huge
room near the back called Mt Olympus topped with an enormous red
stalagmite 30' tall called "The Pillar of Fire". *Get me started and
I'll talk caving all day.- Hide quoted text -
Does sound like you have an issue with the sweating. *Admittedly it's
a bit personal but what's your weight?
6' 1" and 187 lbs so not as thin as I used to be. *The sweating is a
side effect of medicine. *Recently found caves near Brooksville are
very pretty. *Deepest pit in USA is adjacent to Lookout Mt, 587'
Fantastic Pit, a free rappel but is deep in the cave.- Hide quoted text -
I have been hiking around that pit, but if it's the one I am thinking
of, they are pretty strict about who gets to go in. Isn't it called
the "Space walk", the trails leading by it? Anyway, the caves we went
to outside Boaz were a bit south of Huntsville and right off 65 iirc..
I remember one time we went hiking past them and were repelled by a
fat sherrif and his boy, someone told me they had a still back there
and we were lucky to come out, I think they had pot fields down there
by the river... Anyway, I found the pics, I will put them up later.
Caves with pits can be hazardous cuz in the dark someone can wander
right into the pit, might ruin yer day. *Over near Boaz is a cave up a
rutted road where we were warned to ignore any pot plants. *A 60' drop
into the first pit than a short crawl to a 180' pit. *We got trapped
in it when some fool pulled up our rope, spent 6 hours huddled in a
trash bag in spray from a waterfall waiting till our call-out time was
exceeded and our friends came for us, they did.
One of the most scenic is up near Paint Rock about 20 miles west of
Scottsboro, a shear 180' drop with a walk in side entrance that gets
about halfway down the pit. 3 crisscrossing waterfalls go into the pit
from different streams coming out of the walls. Neversink is near
there, a beautiful 160' deep pit, 120' wide, walls covered with ferns
and water dripping into the pit; has been in National Geographic.
Even if you never do extreme caving, the places you go will take your
breathe away and it is the cheapest high adventure sport I can
imagine. *Cavers are all semi-crazy too.
We bought our first sailboat to keep on Lake Guntersville near Boaz..
First experience with dehydration was 5 years ago. *Went into Climax
cave near Cairo, GA, a difficult cave with a nice 40' entrance drop
followed by a truly nasty 300' crawl that when you think it is
impossible just gets worse. *You are on your belly face in the mud,
pack tied to your bootlaces o drag it, trying to push your helmet
ahead of you, seriously effin tight. *This passage opens up into a
huge amphitheatre and the total cave has 9 miles of mapped passage,
mostly awful. *In my late 20s, I went there almost every weekend
spending numerous 18 hour trips and several 36 hour trips sleeping in
mud. *I hardly ever carried much water then. *So my trip 5 yrs ago was
my first there in 20 yrs and I thought i would be hard but old
reflexes should return. *Once through the crawl, I found I was dizzy
and couldnt get my balance and when I tried to step from huge boulder
to another I'd nearly fall off. *I was drowning in sweat too. *On the
way back out while in the crawl, I let the others get waaaay ahead of
me bcause I was so familiar with the cave I thought I'd have no prob
and I never mind being last out. *In the crawl, I really started
having probs and simply couldnt move. *I lay down in th passage with
the ceiling about an inch from my nose wondering what was going on.
Wondered if I was scared but I felt at home there so that wasnt it,
suddenly realized my coveralls were dripping with sweat and totally
saturated from head to toe. *By the time I stumbled out of the crawl
and onto hands and knees I couldnt walk and had no idea of which way
to go. *All I could think to do was to follow the stream back to the
surface. *Once at the entrance, tried 5 times to climb out and felll
every time. *Finally had to call for someone to put me on rope and
haul me out. *Once out, I drank a gallon of water and was thirsty for
days.
Talked to my doc about this and he said, "Well, that is one of the
side effects but most of the time it isnt a problem........."
Even carrying water didnt help the next time cuz I simply was not able
to drink it fast enough and I never considered the electrolyte thing..
Waterfall Cave near Cairo, I didnt want to go but they needed a trip
leader so I did. *Got lost within earshot of the entrance and sat down
and started laughing. *I was happy there and had no desire to leave.
I have not been in a tough cave since then and am afraid to go. *On
the boat I always carry water but I never considered the electrolyte
thing. *Also on the boat my wife always has chips and such so that
provides some salt...........hmmmm.
I always read that only serious athletes need GatorAide so not being
an athlete I never used it. *I will get some and try it.- Hide quoted text -

Like I said before, what ****ing meds?

You got an issue and you post asking for advice but the problem seems
to be a side effect of meds you are taking. *But you don't tell anyone
what meds they are and you expect to get valuable advice from this
exercise. *Then you go on a lengthy conversation about getting
disoriented in a cave from dehydration. *Go to you dr and tell him
that the side effect is a big problem and see if he has any
alternative treatments to the meds you're currently on. *Let me take a
shot in the dark, heart meds?

If it is heart meds I hope he isn't still crawling around in caves. That
is just plain selfish.

I just dont like discussin personal medical stuff except to say it
does not affect strenuous activity. *Look up any meds you take for a
chronic condition and you will see a whole bunch of side effects that
you will likely never have. *I just happento have a side effect that
would normally be minor but for me is a big deal but still not as bad
as what the meds are for. Through no credit of my own my heart is in
good shape, good genetics thank God (and my parents). *In fact, my
father at 87 finally had to give up adventure travel after he had just
recovered from having his first set of hip replacements replaced (he
wore out the first set) due to Parkinsons.
I talk about caving so much because I was truly obsessed by it and
although those days are behind me I still have caving dreams *roughly
3x a week.
Real cavers tend to have a jaundiced attitude toward rescue knowing
that nobody but other cavers have any notion of what to do. *In a
rescue, authorities tend to be more dangerous to themselves than
helpful. *You have to be obsessive about safety and realize that the
probability of rescue is poor so you better get yourself out. *Most of
us dry cavers think of underwater caving as a bizarre form of slow
motion ritual suicide because eventually it will kill even the best.
I can understand the attraction of cave diving but I would never do it
and hope my kids do not either. *Over the years, I have had friends
die and get seriously hurt caving and now that I have kids I am far
more mortal than I was when young. *I watch the young cavers get
excited about new finds and am envious but realize I was them 22 yrs
ago.
I hope you forgive my rambling about caving but it was a source of
adventure that I now get in a milder form from sailing and boating.

I'm fine with you not wanting to reveal what meds you're on. But you
did start this thread by asking for advice about the dehydration
issue. You really ought to ask you dr since no one here is going to
know what is the best thing to mitigate the side effects of meds that
you would rather not identify.

On Oct 1, 3:13 pm, wrote:
On Oct 1, 11:16 am, wrote:

On Oct 1, 9:04 am, BAR wrote:

wrote:
On Sep 30, 11:07 pm, wrote:
On Sep 30, 10:31 pm, wrote:

On Sep 30, 9:42 pm, wrote:
On Sep 30, 1:00 pm, wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

read more »

Various caver diseases:

Histoplasmosis from breathing bat Guano, been there, done that
Malaria from sleeping in the jungle: Been there done that
Gangrene from infected leg wound from crawling in really sleazy
probably bacteria paradise mud
Snake bite, fortunately only a rat snake I tried to rescue from a pit
Infection from being barfed on by a buzzard who had her nest in a cave
Skin burned off hands from out of control rappel (my wife)
Broken arm, broken toe, cracked hip from falling rock (my wife)
Arthritic knees and wrists from too much crawling
Intestinal parasites from bad water in Venezuela
Something like Lyme disease from ticks in Belize.
Chronic bad back from being twisted in weird positions for too long

wrote:
On Oct 1, 3:13 pm, wrote:
On Oct 1, 11:16 am, wrote:

On Oct 1, 9:04 am, BAR wrote:
wrote:
On Sep 30, 11:07 pm, wrote:
On Sep 30, 10:31 pm, wrote:
On Sep 30, 9:42 pm, wrote:
On Sep 30, 1:00 pm, wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

You probably should not go outside. :)

wrote in message

Various caver diseases:

Histoplasmosis from breathing bat Guano, been there, done that
Malaria from sleeping in the jungle: Been there done that
Gangrene from infected leg wound from crawling in really sleazy
probably bacteria paradise mud
Snake bite, fortunately only a rat snake I tried to rescue from a pit
Infection from being barfed on by a buzzard who had her nest in a cave
Skin burned off hands from out of control rappel (my wife)
Broken arm, broken toe, cracked hip from falling rock (my wife)
Arthritic knees and wrists from too much crawling
Intestinal parasites from bad water in Venezuela
Something like Lyme disease from ticks in Belize.
Chronic bad back from being twisted in weird positions for too long

Good Lord! Sell all your 'caving gear' and get the National Geographic
channel in High Def.

On Oct 1, 4:51 pm, "Don White" wrote:
wrote in message

Various caver diseases:

Histoplasmosis from breathing bat Guano, been there, done that
Malaria from sleeping in the jungle: Been there done that
Gangrene from infected leg wound from crawling in really sleazy
probably bacteria paradise mud
Snake bite, fortunately only a rat snake I tried to rescue from a pit
Infection from being barfed on by a buzzard who had her nest in a cave
Skin burned off hands from out of control rappel (my wife)
Broken arm, broken toe, cracked hip from falling rock (my wife)
Arthritic knees and wrists from too much crawling
Intestinal parasites from bad water in Venezuela
Something like Lyme disease from ticks in Belize.
Chronic bad back from being twisted in weird positions for too long

Good Lord! Sell all your 'caving gear' and get the National Geographic
channel in High Def.

I have a former caver friend my age who moved to Colorado Springs with
his wife and took up serious mountaineering. He climbs with that guy
who cut his own arm off. We visited them a couple years ago and he
showed my son his workout routine. Nick (my son) who was 17 and in
good shape said he'd never seen anything like it. This guy is in
better shape than most olympians and he is 52. Not being occupied
enough with climbing, he took up paragliding. He then fell 60'
breaking ribs and basically destroying his leg with a double compound
fracture. Docs told him he might not walk again and recovery at all
would take 2.5 yrs. We visited them 4 months later and this crazy was
hiking 5 miles in the mountains on crutches every day. he must have
recoveresd because he sent me recent pics of some climbing trip thye
went on. Of course, they have no kids.

On Oct 1, 8:35*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 12:59:59 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Various caver diseases:

Histoplasmosis from breathing bat Guano, been there, done that
Malaria from sleeping in the jungle: *Been there done that
Gangrene from infected leg wound from crawling in really sleazy
probably bacteria paradise mud
Snake bite, fortunately only a rat snake I tried to rescue from a pit
Infection from being barfed on by a buzzard who had her nest in a cave
Skin burned off hands from out of control rappel (my wife)
Broken arm, broken toe, cracked hip from falling rock (my wife)
Arthritic knees and wrists from too much crawling
Intestinal parasites from bad water in Venezuela
Something like Lyme disease from ticks in Belize.
Chronic bad back from being twisted in weird positions for too long

Having some fun now huh?

Another case of the guy asking folks he never met and know nothing
about at an obscure boating NG how to fix a significant health problem
he has. (see 'A Racial Incident' thread).

Surreal.

wrote:

Various caver diseases:

Histoplasmosis from breathing bat Guano, been there, done that
Malaria from sleeping in the jungle: Been there done that
Gangrene from infected leg wound from crawling in really sleazy
probably bacteria paradise mud
Snake bite, fortunately only a rat snake I tried to rescue from a pit
Infection from being barfed on by a buzzard who had her nest in a cave
Skin burned off hands from out of control rappel (my wife)
Broken arm, broken toe, cracked hip from falling rock (my wife)
Arthritic knees and wrists from too much crawling
Intestinal parasites from bad water in Venezuela
Something like Lyme disease from ticks in Belize.
Chronic bad back from being twisted in weird positions for too long

Having some fun now huh?

Sign me up! ;-)

--Mike

I s'pose I am just reminiscing over my misspent youth. What makes me
crazy is that my son has no interest in this while my daughters do.

Salt tablets? BAR[_2_] General 6 September 30th 08 05:01 PM
Salt tablets? Wayne.B General 1 September 30th 08 04:01 AM
How much salt? Gogarty Cruising 5 October 11th 06 03:39 AM
salt water use gccch General 4 January 29th 04 02:46 PM