Default Where is my oil filter?

I have a 4.3L Merc engine in my 185 Bayliner. The engine takes up most
all of the engine compartment. Its in there so tight I can't see the
spark plugs,etc. I'm not able to even find the oil filter. I've
managed to get my head a little into the bilge by the crank and I
don't see an oil filter hanging down.

-Robert

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
I have a 4.3L Merc engine in my 185 Bayliner. The engine takes up most
all of the engine compartment. Its in there so tight I can't see the
spark plugs,etc. I'm not able to even find the oil filter. I've
managed to get my head a little into the bilge by the crank and I
don't see an oil filter hanging down.

-Robert

it is on the right side way in the back just above the oil pan.

On Sep 27, 2:49*am, "Robert Jones"
wrote:

it is on the right side way in the back just above the oil pan.

HolyCow. Do you have to remove the lid and all the nearby seats to get
to it? I can't see how you could ever access that area without major
disassembly.

-Robert

Robert M. Gary wrote:

HolyCow. Do you have to remove the lid and all the nearby seats to get
to it? I can't see how you could ever access that area without major
disassembly.

We do it "blind" because we know where it is and as long as we can touch
it, we can replace it. Alternatively, you do do a full disassembly once,
then install a remote oil filter kit to put it on top and in front of
your engine and never have the aggravation again. See your dealer for
details and pricing.

--
Regards,
Dave Brown

On Sep 27, 12:01�pm, Dave Brown wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:
HolyCow. Do you have to remove the lid and all the nearby seats to get
to it? I can't see how you could ever access that area without major
disassembly.

We do it "blind" because we know where it is and as long as we can touch
it, we can replace it. Alternatively, you do do a full disassembly once,
then install a remote oil filter kit to put it on top and in front of
your engine and never have the aggravation again. See your dealer for
details and pricing.

--
Regards,
� � � Dave Brown
� � � Brown's Marina Ltd
� � �http://brownsmarina.com/

I did the job myself with the boat ('99 Trophy 2150) in the water,
wasn't too bad except I had an aftermarket FWC heat exchanger that
mounted horizontally high in front of the engine and so was in the way
of the Mercruiser filter bracket. I wound up attaching the remote to
the (port) engine compartment bulkhead with a simple alum. 4" square
"C" stand off .The hardest part was making sure not to dump any oil in
the bilge when removing the original filter! Oh, you'll need a 1 1/8
or 1 1/4 (I forget) open end to tighten the fittings at the filter
adapter plate. When you buy the kit take time to lay out all the bits
and pieces and make sure that you have all the tools etc you'll need.
It cost me less than $200 and was well worth it. Good luck
Mike

On Sep 26, 10:32*pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
I have a 4.3L Merc engine in my 185 Bayliner. The engine takes up most
all of the engine compartment. Its in there so tight I can't see the
spark plugs,etc. I'm not able to even find the oil filter. I've
managed to get my head a little into the bilge by the crank and I
don't see an oil filter hanging down.

-Robert

Harry stole it!

Dale
www.fishwisher.com

Filter? Gordon Cruising 4 February 16th 08 04:29 AM
help with oil filter Matt General 12 July 17th 07 02:12 PM
Air Filter mgg General 11 October 9th 04 04:24 AM
Oil filter vs fuel filter? Gfretwell General 20 November 13th 03 02:40 PM