Default help with oil filter

I have a 5.oL EFI Merc and am trying to change the oil. BUT, the
previous owner tightened the oil filter beyond tight. In fact, I broke
one filter clamp already, and purchased a second clamp and am to the
point that I am bending the handle trying to loosen this filter. I
have never had a problem like this and am worried about really doing
some damage. Any suggestions other than taking it to my local dealer?

Matt

Jim Jim is offline

"Matt" wrote in message
ups.com...
|I have a 5.oL EFI Merc and am trying to change the oil. BUT, the
| previous owner tightened the oil filter beyond tight. In fact, I broke
| one filter clamp already, and purchased a second clamp and am to the
| point that I am bending the handle trying to loosen this filter. I
| have never had a problem like this and am worried about really doing
| some damage. Any suggestions other than taking it to my local dealer?
|
| Matt

Buy a better filter wrench.

On Jul 15, 2:59?pm, "Jim" wrote:

Buy a better filter wrench.

Agree, whether or not that ultimately solves the problem. In a torque
war between the fliter wrench and the lightweight body of most oil
filters, it's the oil filter that should become damaged or distorted-
not the filter wrench.

Anybody ever use a pair of tin snips to cut the body of the filter
away and then strike an angular blow with a chisel or large
screwdriver placed on the remaining disc of the filter body near the
fitting threads?
Whatever the other considerations, it will be important to get that
filter off without damaging the threads and that normally calls for
unwinding rtaher than stripping it away.

On Jul 16, 9:49 am, Chuck Gould wrote:
On Jul 15, 2:59?pm, "Jim" wrote:

Buy a better filter wrench.

Agree, whether or not that ultimately solves the problem. In a torque
war between the fliter wrench and the lightweight body of most oil
filters, it's the oil filter that should become damaged or distorted-
not the filter wrench.

Anybody ever use a pair of tin snips to cut the body of the filter
away and then strike an angular blow with a chisel or large
screwdriver placed on the remaining disc of the filter body near the
fitting threads?
Whatever the other considerations, it will be important to get that
filter off without damaging the threads and that normally calls for
unwinding rtaher than stripping it away.

I have used a dull chisel at the top edge of the filter to "drive" it
loose. It is usually difficult to get enough work space to do this on
a boat though. Sometimes a long screwdriver can be used instead of a
chisel. Most of times I have tried driving a screwdriver through the
filter the results has been that it simply twisted the can off without
removing the base.

On Jul 16, 9:10?am, jamesgangnc wrote:
?Most of times I have tried driving a screwdriver through the
filter the results has been that it simply twisted the can off without
removing the base.- Hide quoted text -

If the filter is *really* stuck, it would be easy to imagine that the
flimsy can wouldn't endure the torque required to break it loose.
Couple that with the small amount of surface contact associated with a
screw driver blade- and you would wind up ripping instead of twisting
the can.

Chuck Gould wrote:
:On Jul 16, 9:10?am, jamesgangnc wrote:
: ?Most of times I have tried driving a screwdriver through the
: filter the results has been that it simply twisted the can off without
: removing the base.- Hide quoted text -

:If the filter is *really* stuck, it would be easy to imagine that the
:flimsy can wouldn't endure the torque required to break it loose.
:Couple that with the small amount of surface contact associated with a
:screw driver blade- and you would wind up ripping instead of twisting
:the can.

Use as strap wrench -- KD 3149 or equivalent. It's a nylon strap
attached to a square tube with a 1/2" internal diameter. You wrap the
strap around the filter, taking up the excess. Then you put a 1/2"
drive ratchet into the pipe and turn. Never met a filter I couldn't
get off with mine, and I've seen many, many filters put on by
gorillas.

Common problem with nitwits and Monkey Lube morons who work on cars (not
you). Be careful, newer oil filters are cheap **** and made with very
thin wall metal, and will puncture or crush easily when trying to
remove. I once had to cut the shell completely off, and cut between the
holes in the base plate with a cutting torch to remove one particularly
over-tightened filter. I'm still looking for that asshole....
The best way to remove it will be to use an end-cap type filter socket,
which fits on the flutes around the end of the filter like a socket.
If you twist the housing with this, well, see above.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Matt wrote:
I have a 5.oL EFI Merc and am trying to change the oil. BUT, the
previous owner tightened the oil filter beyond tight. In fact, I broke
one filter clamp already, and purchased a second clamp and am to the
point that I am bending the handle trying to loosen this filter. I
have never had a problem like this and am worried about really doing
some damage. Any suggestions other than taking it to my local dealer?

Matt

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"

Matt wrote in news:1184529524.205488.21090
@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

I have a 5.oL EFI Merc and am trying to change the oil. BUT, the
previous owner tightened the oil filter beyond tight. In fact, I broke
one filter clamp already, and purchased a second clamp and am to the
point that I am bending the handle trying to loosen this filter. I
have never had a problem like this and am worried about really doing
some damage. Any suggestions other than taking it to my local dealer?

Matt

When desperate, I've done this on both cars and boats: Take a large screw
driver, a few inches longer than the diameter of the filter. Hammer into
one side of the filter, and out the other side. Be carefull, don't do it
too low on the filter because you'll hit the fitting the filter screws on
to. Just above the middle should work. Once the screw driver is in, twist
it counter clockwise. The extra torque is usually enough, but if that
doesn't work, bang the handle counter clockwise with a hammer or anything
heavy you can get in there. You may need these blows to break it loose.
Sometimes torque isn't enough, you need impact. Of course, only do this
if all else fails. One of the downsides is it's very messy with oil
everywhere.

"akheel" wrote in message
[...]

And when installing new filter, wipe a coating of oil on the surfaces that
make contact...the boat side and the gasket on the filter.

Air filter test Rich Hampel General 2 May 8th 06 09:03 PM
Air Filter mgg General 11 October 9th 04 04:24 AM
Oil filter vs fuel filter? Gfretwell General 20 November 13th 03 02:40 PM
Don't Tighten Your Filter Too Much Rosco Bookbinder General 7 August 4th 03 03:03 AM