Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default My political post for 2008!

I assume that politics are as hot as ever in rec.boats.
It would be hard to let an election year go by without lobbing at
least one political post into the fray, so here's something I wrote
this weekend for the October 8 issue of a local magazine. :-)

Instant America, “Just Add Water!”

We’re less than a month away from the 2008 Presidential election. I
can’t seem to turn in any direction without encountering some message
from either one of the major parties essentially claiming, “Elect our
candidate and happy days will be here again. Elect the other fellow,
and the end of civilization as we know it is just around the corner!”
Nonsense. I have the perfect response to this sort of propaganda
blitz; I turn off the radio and TV and go down to the boat to work.
I’m typing this month’s column aboard “Indulgence”, after a short,
single-handed cruise from our covered moorage at Salmon Bay Marina to
our yacht club’s dock in Portage Bay. En route, I profited from a
couple of realizations that seem particularly appropriate to share
with our boating readership during this final month of an important
national election cycle.

The milfoil weeds are a serious nuisance this time of year. I observe
a reasonably complete checklist each time I leave the dock, and I
confirmed that there was a healthy volume of cooling water flowing
from the exhaust pipe before getting underway. I must have sucked some
of the milfoil into the cooling water intake as I was backing out of
the slip, as the overheat alarm went off halfway between the Ballard
and Fremont bridges.

I backed down to idle and surveyed the situation. There was a rocky
riprap on both sides of the channel, with no place to dock for even a
moment. The engine temperature gauge was climbing ominously, but there
was another boat approaching from a couple of hundred yards astern.
There was very little wind, so I shut down the engine and went out on
deck to flag down the approaching cruiser. My fellow boaters were kind
enough to tow me to Morrison’s fuel dock, and the staff at Morrison’s
graciously allowed me to occupy space at their dock while I
investigated the cause of my overheat.

Dismantling the raw water intake filter revealed a bright green wad of
vegetation, entirely clogging the passage of water into the engine. I
cleaned the filter, bought a gallon of anti-freeze from Morrison’s,
refilled the cooling system, confirmed a restored flow of cooling
water, and resumed my voyage to Portage Bay. It occurred to me that I
had just enjoyed a particularly American experience. When I had a
problem, I didn’t expect the city, state, or federal government to
ride to the rescue- but it wasn’t difficult to find a fellow boater
willing to tow me out of a difficult situation. My willingness to ask
for help, and a fellow boater’s willingness to lend it, brought me
safely to the dock without a single dollar spent from any public
treasury or any expense passed along to fellow maritime insurance
policy holders. While government has to be involved in certain
situations, it was personal initiative and not government intervention
that solved my overheat problem. I will bear that in mind as I try to
make careful choices on Election Day.

As I motored across Lake Union, I took particular notice of the
enormous variety of boats on the water. There were grand 80-footers
with hired captains and crews. Speedy 22-foot ski boats idled
impatiently through the 7-knot speed zone, yearning for the open
waters of Lake Washington and an opportunity to scream along at 30-40
knots. Sailboats of all sizes and configurations glided silently in
the wind, some of them bare bones racers and others plushly appointed
family cruising boats. A couple “duckloads” of tourists chattered
excitedly as flashes from photo strobes captured views of Gasworks
Park, South Lake Union, and even a shot or two of “Indulgence.”

There were trawlers, cruisers, and rowboats of all descriptions. For
every shiny new yacht worth 2-3 million dollars there were several
worth three percent of that, or less. Even so, nearly everybody seemed
to be having a very good time. It occurred to me on this very
“American” afternoon that our lives are actually enhanced by our
differences of opinion. Our diverse personal preferences and tastes
create a rich tapestry of social possibilities.
All of the traditional kidding between sail and power boaters aside,
none of us really seem to feel that the end of civilization as we know
it is right around the corner if everybody else on the water doesn’t
appreciate or enjoy the experience from an identical perspective. What
seems to be the best approach for each of us individually may not
always be the best for everyone else, nor should we expect it to be. I
fully anticipate that some of my preferred candidates will win on
Election Day, while some others will be defeated. I’ll remember this
splendid afternoon of the water, and decide to rejoice in the rich
diversity of the candidates elected rather than brood over certain
races where my second choice candidate may have prevailed.

It isn’t just every day that a boater can break down in the Ship
Canal, and wind up reaffirming that pleasure boating is a uniquely
American experience. Ready to get away from all the mean-spirited
partisan propaganda as we approach the November election? Take the
boat out for an afternoon, and consider the dynamics of personal
responsibility, community assistance, individual problem solving and
the value of differing priorities. Columbus discovered America by
boat, and we can easily rediscover our country in the same way. I can
guarantee you that America will still be out there regardless of the
candidates we choose next month; just add water.