Default 9-18: Ok, Hogan, I give up! (NorCal fishing)

Fished New Hogan Reservoir (Corp of Engineers) near Stockton, Ca as
usual with downriggers, anchovies and shad. Lots of fish, lots of
boils, but not a bump. Those stripers are living in a shad buffet and
don't want anything else but live, active shad - or so it seems.

I saw one guy pull one out of a boil, that's all I saw all day. I gave
it about six hours and gave up. For the season. I've made 13 trips in
a row for 13 stripers. It's just been a lousy year for Hogan. Or maybe
I should say a typical year.

Next week: Sturgeon on the 1000 mile California Delta!
(www.californiadelta.org) I can't wait to sling bait, kick back at
anchor and watch the flotsam float by while drinking cheap beer and
listening to Dolly and Merle. It's been a long time...

Photos on my website of the old Hogan dam which keeps showing more and
more as the water drops, and also some sandpiper looking birds I
photographed out in the middle of the lake - I've never seen such
birds on a lake before. Maybe someone can tell me what they are?

Dale
www.fishwisher.com

On Sep 19, 3:11*pm, FishWisher wrote:
[...]

Thanks to "perchhog" on the Coastside Fishing Forums for informing me
that the sandpiper looking birds in the photo on my site are Red-
Necked Phalaropes. According to Whatbird.com they breed in the Arctic
south to James Bay, the Aleutians, and the southern tip of Greenland.
They spend winters off Peru, the southern Arabian Peninsula, and
Indonesia. They Inhabit open ocean and beaches and are found on
shallow rivers, lakes, and mudflats during migration. So I will guess
that I just happened to catch them resting during their migration from
the Arctic or the Aleutians south to Peru. How interesting. And those
little birds are so small I could have held one in one hand. Nature is
amazing.

Dale
www.fishwisher.com