Default Ike

Watching the news and it sure looks like some of those poor people in Texas
are going to get clobbered.

Also, a 500+ foot freighter, hauling crude petroleum, is dead in the water,
100 miles offshore. The captain tried to get out of the way of the
hurricane and had engine failure. Coast Guard attempted a rescue of the 28
crew members, but had to call it off due to high winds and weather.

This may be another major weather disaster in the making. Hope not, but it
doesn't look good.

Eisboch

Senior Member

On Sep 12, 3:43*pm, "Eisboch" wrote:
Watching the news and it sure looks like some of those poor people in Texas
are going to get clobbered.

Also, a 500+ foot freighter, hauling crude petroleum, is dead in the water,
100 miles offshore. *The captain tried to get out of the way of the
hurricane and had engine failure. * Coast Guard attempted a rescue of the 28
crew members, but had to call it off due to high winds and weather.

This may be another major weather disaster in the making. *Hope not, but it
doesn't look good.

Eisboch

"Certain death" is the warning from the weather service.. I hope not,
some reports have half the population not taking advantage to
evacuate. I saw the report this morning about the ship, 22 crew on
board, no navigation at all. I wonder how direct of a hit it is going
to take, anyone seen a map?

On Sep 12, 4:53*pm, hk wrote:
jim wrote:
wrote:
[...]

NOAA was issuing similar Warnings 3 DAYS before Katrina Hit. Coast Guard
should force an abandon ship on that boat/ship. They can drop anchors
and set sea anchors. Salvage what's left after the storm passes.
Hopefully they could secure the ship against spillage.

An opinion from Cap'n No-Boat?

Hey, he did post a picture of a picture of some boat that he said he
owns, glass glare and all.

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 15:43:53 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

Watching the news and it sure looks like some of those poor people in Texas
are going to get clobbered.

Also, a 500+ foot freighter, hauling crude petroleum, is dead in the water,
100 miles offshore. The captain tried to get out of the way of the
hurricane and had engine failure. Coast Guard attempted a rescue of the 28
crew members, but had to call it off due to high winds and weather.

This may be another major weather disaster in the making. Hope not, but it
doesn't look good.

Eisboch

"The Perfect Storm".........hitting at high tide, a storm surge of
20~25 feet above that and being an extremely large storm with
sustained 100+ mph winds expected to last 10-12 hours.
HK HK is offline

JimH wrote:
On Sep 12, 4:53 pm, hk wrote:
jim wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I'm sure Florida Jim owns a picture of a boat. The posters here who
attempt to insult the boats of others seem the most reluctant to post
detailed photos of their boats...Florida Jim, Reggie, DK, BAR, Loogie...
it's sort of a common element among them.

And just recently, the mighty SW Tom 'fessed up that his Ranger only had
a 20" transom, after spending a year "kidding" the 25" transom on my
Parker. That particular model of Ranger, by the way, was not in
production very long, and SW Tom said because it did not run properly,
he had to dump the original engine on the boat, buy one with a longer
shaft, and then mount that engine on a jack plate.

I wondered for some time why a Yankee boater would need a jack plate on
a flats boat...jack plates are common enough in south Florida, of
course. The reason is clear...the boat had a serious design flaw.
No wonder he can't sell it.

"hk" wrote in message
news
JimH wrote:
On Sep 12, 4:53 pm, hk wrote:
jim wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I will not get into a discussion about Tom's boat. His jabs at you about
your transom height were all in good nature.

HK HK is offline

JimH wrote:
"hk" wrote in message
news
JimH wrote:
On Sep 12, 4:53 pm, hk wrote:
jim wrote:
wrote:
[...]

My point about Tom was that he was not willing to discuss his boat
openly, but was more than willing to criticize mine.

As I stated, those most willing and eager to criticize the boats of
others seem the most reluctant to spill the details about their boats.

Tim Tim is offline

On Sep 12, 2:43*pm, "Eisboch" wrote:
Watching the news and it sure looks like some of those poor people in Texas
are going to get clobbered.

Also, a 500+ foot freighter, hauling crude petroleum, is dead in the water,
100 miles offshore. *The captain tried to get out of the way of the
hurricane and had engine failure. * Coast Guard attempted a rescue of the 28
crew members, but had to call it off due to high winds and weather.

This may be another major weather disaster in the making. *Hope not, but it
doesn't look good.

Eisboch

Not counting fuel prices jumping over 30% in hours this morning