Default OT - Attention Agent Users.

You might already know this, but I've been using Agent forever and
just discovered it. I use version 1.93.
I usually subscribe to 5-7 newsgroups.
When I retrieve new headers it's slow, saying "Retrieving up to nnnn
headers." nnnn could be a high number, even if it's only pulling 1
new message header or none at all.
The progress bar sometimes takes up to half a minute to complete for a
group even when there are no new headers.
If you notice this too, here's what "fixed" it for me.
Pull in new headers and immediately use Options Catch Up With
Selected Groups. This will reset the Agent RC file.
Then it is very fast - almost instantaneous - pulling in new headers.
Can't and don't want to get technical, except to say Agent's parsing
of message headers in Agent's RC file runs like a one-legged dog.

--Vic

On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 20:55:18 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

You might already know this, but I've been using Agent forever and
just discovered it. I use version 1.93.
I usually subscribe to 5-7 newsgroups.
When I retrieve new headers it's slow, saying "Retrieving up to nnnn
headers." nnnn could be a high number, even if it's only pulling 1
new message header or none at all.
The progress bar sometimes takes up to half a minute to complete for a
group even when there are no new headers.
If you notice this too, here's what "fixed" it for me.
Pull in new headers and immediately use Options Catch Up With
Selected Groups. This will reset the Agent RC file.
Then it is very fast - almost instantaneous - pulling in new headers.
Can't and don't want to get technical, except to say Agent's parsing
of message headers in Agent's RC file runs like a one-legged dog.

--Vic

Weird. Mine just pulls in new headers when I tell it to 'Get New Headers In
Subscribed Groups' or '....Selected Groups'. The only time it looks at all
the headers is when I tell it to.

wrote:

[...]

Might be how long I've kept the Agent RC file, and how I initially
pulled the headers, and maybe subscribing/unsubscribing.
I've had this 1.93 since it came out, and never reset the RC file.
I just did a "get new" on a group I don't subscribe to now, and it
said "retrieving up to 84888 new headers." Then I did it again and it
said "retrieving up to 5438" new headers" but didn't get any.
I purged it, did a "get all" and it pulled 294000 headers. Then I
did a "get new" and it said "retrieving up to 15472 new headers"
although there were no new headers.
Took a while each time getting the "new" headers.
I then did a catch up and now it just says "retrieving headers"
and is almost instantaneous.
Anyway, just thought I'd mention the "catch up" if anybody else
had the same issue.

--Vic

wrote:

[...]

Maybe your filters wiped out the headers?

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:33:14 -0400, John H.
wrote:

Maybe your filters wiped out the headers?

Nope. Never used filters.

--Vic

Agent and Free Agent JohnH General 2 August 22nd 06 03:53 PM
ATTENTION all users of alt.sailing.asa Steve Leyland ASA 4 April 6th 05 03:12 AM
ATTENTION all users of alt.sailing.asa ASA FOREVER Thom Stewart ASA 3 April 4th 05 11:57 PM
ATTENTION all users of alt.sailing.asa--ASA FOREVER Thom Stewart ASA 0 April 4th 05 05:10 PM