posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building

Default Something about wood

I have been fixing the MiniCup sailboats (homebuilt 12') and there is
something about working with wood that seems relaxing compared to
working with metal. I think it is because mistakes are less costly,
tolerances are more like .0625 instead of .0005" and its just "nice".
This seems true even when I will coat it with epoxy and glass.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building
Senior Member

On Sep 3, 8:46*am, (Richard Casady) wrote:
On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 20:53:17 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I have been fixing the MiniCup sailboats (homebuilt 12') and there is
something about working with wood that seems relaxing compared to
working with metal. *I think it is because mistakes are less costly,
tolerances are more like .0625 instead of .0005"

Some people build welded boats, and they often cut the plates with a
torch. To a tolerance of perhaps .0625 or even greater. If the plates
don't quite meet you just use more rod.

Casady

Although I don't use it much for boats, I have an incra-jig for wood
that has a repeatability of 1/500th of an inch...

wrote:

I have been fixing the MiniCup sailboats (homebuilt 12') and there is
something about working with wood that seems relaxing compared to
working with metal. I think it is because mistakes are less costly,
tolerances are more like .0625 instead of .0005"

Some people build welded boats, and they often cut the plates with a
torch. To a tolerance of perhaps .0625 or even greater. If the plates
don't quite meet you just use more rod.

I'ld bet on the even greater. Look at any tracker out there except the form
stamped boats.

Actually I am in the pocess of repairing some wreck damage on an aluminum
Tracker right now, and I was just thinking that this was a lot like stitch
and glue except you stitch and glue with a wire feed welder.

yeah, but I cant weld

wrote:

I have been fixing the MiniCup sailboats (homebuilt 12') and there is
something about working with wood that seems relaxing compared to
working with metal. I think it is because mistakes are less costly,
tolerances are more like .0625 instead of .0005"

Some people build welded boats, and they often cut the plates with a
torch. To a tolerance of perhaps .0625 or even greater. If the plates
don't quite meet you just use more rod.

I'ld bet on the even greater. Look at any tracker out there except the
form
stamped boats.

Actually I am in the pocess of repairing some wreck damage on an aluminum
Tracker right now, and I was just thinking that this was a lot like
stitch
and glue except you stitch and glue with a wire feed welder.

yeah, but I cant weld

Fair enough. It takes good equipment, and lots of practice. I have the
former, and I'm getting the later.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building

Hand tools and wood. That's where the peace is. It's quiet, contemplative.
Just your measuring skills, sharp tool edges, and your hands.

Tom Dacon

wrote in message
I have been fixing the MiniCup sailboats (homebuilt 12') and there is
something about working with wood that seems relaxing compared to
working with metal. I think it is because mistakes are less costly,
tolerances are more like .0625 instead of .0005" and its just "nice".
This seems true even when I will coat it with epoxy and glass.

For those that need to cut wood Calif Bill General 5 January 18th 08 02:00 PM
Dry Power Wood MarshallE Boat Building 11 November 24th 05 03:09 PM
Wood rot Joe Blizzard General 1 August 30th 05 05:13 AM
bending wood Marc Camfferman Boat Building 7 April 10th 04 09:20 PM
Other wood types Kenton Letkeman Boat Building 3 March 20th 04 01:25 PM