BoatBanter.com

-   -   Trim correction?? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/97613-trim-correction.html)

otnmbrd September 4th 08 04:56 PM

Trim correction??

(Richard Casady) wrote in
:

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 14:02:56 -0300, "Don White"
wrote:

The vehicle carrier boats sure are boxy..
scroll down to 'vehicle carriers' to see recent visitors to Halifax
http://www.chesterahoy.com/SHIPS/np.htm

Box boats carry boxes naturally, although officially they are called
containers. The ships are also boxes, of course, which figures. Those
auto carriers have even more decks than passenger ships.

Casady

Depth is the distance from the main deck to the keel and combined with
draft will give you an indication of freeboard.
Draft is the draft at the "summer" line on the plimsol mark. To find the
main deck, look above the plimsol mark for a horizontal line @6" long 1"
wide.
Air draft is the distance from the waterline to the highest point, and is
becoming increasingly more important.
A good average for decks on a car carrier is anywhere from 10 to 13 with
some being as low as 6'

Richard Casady September 4th 08 05:19 PM

Trim correction??

On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 10:56:03 -0500, otnmbrd
wrote:

Air draft is the distance from the waterline to the highest point, and is
becoming increasingly more important.

Always has been important for sailboats. I have a 22 foot cuddy I plan
to fit with a radar mast, and I don't know how tall I can get away
with.

Casady