Default That temper

"hk" wrote in message
. ..
Wayne.B wrote:
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 23:55:33 -0400, hk wrote:

Try to keep in mind that Obama is about 100 times more literate than the
idiot you put into the White House in 2000.

The democrats put Bush in the White House by running wimpy Al Gore who
couldn't even carry his own home state, and by failing to reach an
accomodation with Ralph Nader.

Hehehehe. Is there a chance *your* taxes will be going up if Obama wins?

There's a pretty good chance everybody's taxes will go up.

Bill Clinton, when he first ran, had a similar tax plan. In fact the cutoff
number was initially the same .... 250k.
It helped get him elected, but when the time came to execute the plan (he
wanted to reduce the deficit and balance the budget), the money just wasn't
there, so the income tax increase cutoff point had to be lowered. The
result was that everybody considered "middle class" and up paid more taxes.

In addition, there were many hidden tax increases that affected everybody.
The Federal tax on gasoline was increased by 17 cents/gal, along with other
increases that everybody paid. There was a lot of voodoo economics involved
in Clinton's tax plan, but all anyone remembers is that he "balanced the
budget".

The only thing I found a bit off the mark with Obama's plan is the capital
gains reduction or elimination for small business and start up companies.
It sounds good, except a small business or start up typically doesn't have
any capital gains to declare anyway. The only time capital gains would come
into play is if the small business or start up was successful, grew up, and
was sold. But then, it wouldn't qualify for the capital gains reduction.

Eisboch

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 06:18:19 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

The only thing I found a bit off the mark with Obama's plan is the capital
gains reduction or elimination for small business and start up companies.
It sounds good, except a small business or start up typically doesn't have
any capital gains to declare anyway. The only time capital gains would come
into play is if the small business or start up was successful, grew up, and
was sold. But then, it wouldn't qualify for the capital gains reduction.

I just read the transcript. Without the visual, there isn't much
there.

Whole lotta nuttin'.

On Aug 28, 11:39*pm, wrote:
On Aug 28, 11:36 pm, camacdonaldiii wrote:

On Aug 28, 10:33 pm, hk wrote:

* * * * McCain's Temper May Become an Issue

By Scott Thomsen
Associated Press Writer
Sunday, Oct. 31, 1999; 6:38 p.m. EST

PHOENIX –– While rising in the GOP presidential polls, Sen. John McCain
is facing questions about what some Arizona political leaders view as
his quick temper – and whether it might hinder him as president.

In a front page article and separate editorial Sunday, The Arizona
Republic said it wanted the nation to know about the "volcanic" temper
McCain has unleashed on several top state officials.

Those who have been on the receiving end of a McCain uproar include
Republican Gov. Jane Hull, former Republican Gov. Rose Mofford and
former Democratic Mayor Paul Johnson of Phoenix.

Mrs. Hull, a supporter of GOP presidential front-runner George W. Bush,
has acknowledged that her relationship with McCain has been cool and
told an interviewer recently McCain "has to keep control" of his temper.

A Hull spokesman, Francie Noyes, said Sunday the governor had no further
comment on the matter of McCain's temperament and that "she wants to
move on to other things."

But the Arizona Republic, which endorsed McCain for each of his five
congressional races but has not yet made an endorsement in the
presidential race, was direct.

It declared in an editorial:

"If McCain is truly a serious contender for the presidency, it is time
the rest of the nation learned about the John McCain we know in Arizona.
There is also reason to seriously question whether he has the
temperament, and the political approach and skills, we want in the next
president of the United States."

McCain spokesman Dan Schnur said the criticism reflects McCain's
emergence as a serious contender, resulting media scrutiny, and the fact
that the former Vietnam POW "is a fighter and has always been a fighter."

"When a candidate moves up in the polls as quickly as John McCain has
there's bound to be closer media scrutiny," Schnur said. "Show me a
politician who's never offended anyone and I'll show you a politician
who's pretty useless to his constituents."

Earlier in the week, McCain blamed the Bush campaign for helping plant
recent temper stories and said the "hothead" portrayal was inaccurate..

"Do I insult anybody or fly off the handle or anything like that? No, I
don't," insisted McCain.

Pam Johnson, executive editor of The Republic, said her paper's coverage
decisions were made independently, not at the suggestion of anyone in
the Bush campaign.

"A lot of the admirable qualities of Sen. McCain have been widely
reported nationally. A lot of the temperament issues have not," said
Johnson, who is in charge of the paper's editorial and news pages.

Even some of McCain's supporters acknowledge a short fuse, but say that
should not disqualify him to be president.

"I think John McCain is as steady as they come. I've seen him get really
passionate about issues, but I don't see it as losing control," said
Rep. Matt Salmon, R-Ariz. He called McCain's passion refreshing.

State Superintendent Lisa Graham Keegan, who also is a McCain supporter,
said she has argued heatedly with McCain many times over the years but
that his "passion ... is positive."

"I'm not looking for someone who serves tea in white gloves. That's not
attractive in a president," said Keegan, describing McCain as a calm,
affable person, but one ready to jump into a fray.

In the past week, the Wall Street Journal and New York Times also have
published articles documenting McCain's often testy relationships in his
home state.

Mrs. Hull told the Times that McCain's temper "is something that John
has to keep control of." According to the Times, when Mrs. Hull was
asked to describe McCain's temper she pretended to hold a telephone
receiver several inches from her ear.

In Washington, McCain has kept his temper under control, publicly at
least. He showed restraint during Senate floor debate on campaign
finance reform – one of his priority issues – when Sen. Mitch McConnell,
R-Ky., tried to goad him into losing his temper.

Larry Sabato, a political science professor the University of Virginia,
said McCain's temper is a legitimate subject for questions, but noted a
number of president have had fiery tempers.

Presidents Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon were famous for having bad
tempers. Since his election, current President Bill Clinton has become
known for having one also.

"It's not disqualifying because so many presidents have had bad tempers,
but it's important to know about," Sabato said. "You want to know what
the fundamental character of a candidate for president is."

McCain's temper could be presented in a good light or bad, Sabato said.
Supporters can say McCain listens to the people not politicians, while
critics may charge that he can't work with others, he said.

© Copyright 1999 The Associated Press

------

* McCain temper boiled over in '92 tirade, called wife a '****'
04/07/2008 @ 10:19 am
Filed by Nick Juliano

John McCain's temper is well documented. He's called opponents and
colleagues "****heads," "assholes" and in at least one case "a ****ing
jerk."

But a new book on the presumptive Republican nominee will air perhaps
the most shocking angry exchange to date.

The Real McCain by Cliff Schecter, which will arrive in bookstores next
month, reports an angry exchange between McCain and his wife that
happened in full view of aides and reporters during a 1992 campaign
stop. An advance copy of the book was obtained by RAW STORY.

* * *Three reporters from Arizona, on the condition of anonymity, also
let me in on another incident involving McCain's intemperateness. In his
1992 Senate bid, McCain was joined on the campaign trail by his wife,
Cindy, as well as campaign aide Doug Cole and consultant Wes Gullett. At
one point, Cindy playfully twirled McCain's hair and said, "You're
getting a little thin up there." McCain's face reddened, and he
responded, "At least I don't plaster on the makeup like a trollop, you
****." McCain's excuse was that it had been a long day. If elected
president of the United States, McCain would have many long days.

The man who was known as "McNasty" in high school has erupted in
foul-languaged tirades at political foes and congressional colleagues
more-or-less throughout his career, and his quickness to anger has been
an issue on the presidential campaign trail as evidence of his fury has
surfaced.

As Schecter notes, McCain's rage is not limited to the political
spectrum, and even his family cannot be spared the brute force of his anger.

Schecter, who also blogs at The Agonist, said in an interview the
anecdote is "an early example of his uncontrollable temper." In the book
he outlines several other examples of McCain losing his cool and raises
the question of how that would affect a McCain presidency.

* * *What should voters make of this pattern? In February 2008 Tim
Russert succinctly described McCain on MSNBC's Morning Joe. A devilish
grin spread from ear to ear as Russert, no McCain hater, leaned forward
and spoke in a whisper, "He likes to fight." Russert got it right. But
the big question isn't whether McCain likes to fight: it's who, when,
and how.

The exchange between McCain and his wife was not reported anywhere when
it happened, Schecter said (a LexisNexis database search confirms this).
In 1992, McCain's mention in the national media revolved mostly around
his involvement in the Keating Five scandal, and only local reporters
closely followed his re-election bid.

McCain is well known for his rapport with the national media covering
his presidential bid (he's jokingly referred to the press as "my base"),
but Schecter said this incident was buried not out of fealty to the
Arizona senator. Rather, it was uneasiness about how to get such a
coarse exchange into a family newspaper, and he didn't fault the local
press for not covering the incident.

"Members of the media are squeamish covering stuff like this so they let
it go," Schecter told RAW STORY in an interview Monday. "Back in '92,
when people use naughty words, [reporters] don't know as much what to do
with it."

Much has changed since then. President Bush's reference to a New York
Times reporter as a "major league asshole" was reported in at least 47
newspapers during the 2000 campaign, when the off-color remark was
overheard, according to a database search. And more than a dozen
newspapers have reported Dick Cheney's recommendation that Sen. Patrick
Leahy "**** yourself."

McCain and his aides have brushed off suggestions that his temper could
impede his ability to perform the sometimes-delicate tasks asked of a
president. The candidate was asked about his legendary temper last week
on "Fox News Sunday," where he cited his ability to work "across the
aisle" while in the Senate.

"You can't scare people or intimidate them if you're going to reach
agreement with your colleagues and your contemporaries And I've worked
hard at that, and that's what the American people want," McCain said. "
The second thing is if I lose my capacity for anger, then I shouldn't be
president of the United States. ... When I see the waste and corruption
in Washington, I get angry."

McCain's campaign did not return

read more »- Hide quoted text -

What's worse is that Harry equates overall intelligence with speech
writing abilities!!!!!!!
Maybe because that's the only thing he has ANY ability in?

On Aug 29, 1:09*am, wrote:
On Aug 28, 11:55*pm, hk wrote:

wrote:
On Aug 28, 11:43 pm, hk wrote:
wrote:

read more »
A more appropriate question is whether Obimbos basic stupidity will
hinder the USA.
Now *that* is a pretty funny commentary. I would bet any amount of money
that Obama is smarter than you are. I don't know how we would prove
that...perhaps by comparing a speech you wrote to one he wrote...

Talk about dumb! *Harry thinks Osabama writes his own speeches.

He wrote most of the one he delivered tonight, d.f.

What a laugh, I think this one classifies as a Harrytale. *I guess
they called Harry and told him on his secret phone line to the Obama
inner circle *Lobsta' Boat!!

I just don't understand why Harry calls someone an ignorant ass or
some such every time they mention his Lobster Boat......
Could it be because it doesn't exist???
Senior Member

On Aug 29, 9:52*am, wrote:

read more »- Hide quoted text -

What's worse is that Harry equates overall intelligence with speech
writing abilities!!!!!!!
Maybe because that's the only thing he has ANY ability in?

Harry still says Obama wrote his own speech.. But of course, Harry
will say anything, no matter how rediculous it is.

"hk" wrote in message

No way, no how, no McCain!

I now agree with you. McCain just handed the election to Obama/Biden with
his Veep choice.

What was he thinking? One of his biggest handicaps is his age. So, he
picks a 44 year old with virtually no national experience and only a year
and a half as governor of Alaska to be a heartbeat away from being POTUS.

McCain must have a *thing* for former beauty pageant contestants.

Eisboch

HK HK is offline

Eisboch wrote:
"hk" wrote in message

No way, no how, no McCain!

I now agree with you. McCain just handed the election to Obama/Biden with
his Veep choice.

What was he thinking? One of his biggest handicaps is his age. So, he
picks a 44 year old with virtually no national experience and only a year
and a half as governor of Alaska to be a heartbeat away from being POTUS.

McCain must have a *thing* for former beauty pageant contestants.

Eisboch

Well, I wouldn't argue against aligning one's self with good-looking
women. :)

It's a strange choice. Kay Bailey Hutchinson, the Republican U.S.
Senator from Texas, said "I don't know much about Sarah Palin."

Ms. Palin now says someone from her office did indeed try to pressure a
state official to fire her former brother in law from a state trooper
job, but adds that she had nothing to do with the call.

I certainly believe that.

Ms. Palin will be politically acceptable to the right-wing extremists
who still control the GOP, but she sure isn't going to attract those
"Hillary" voters who are upset with the latter's loss of the
presidential and vice presidential nominations.

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 11:04:29 -0400, hk wrote:

Eisboch wrote:
"hk" wrote in message

No way, no how, no McCain!

I now agree with you. McCain just handed the election to Obama/Biden with
his Veep choice.

What was he thinking? One of his biggest handicaps is his age. So, he
picks a 44 year old with virtually no national experience and only a year
and a half as governor of Alaska to be a heartbeat away from being POTUS.

Remember Dan Quayle?
Probably others as limited that I can't remember.

McCain must have a *thing* for former beauty pageant contestants.

Eisboch

Well, I wouldn't argue against aligning one's self with good-looking
women. :)

It's a strange choice. Kay Bailey Hutchinson, the Republican U.S.
Senator from Texas, said "I don't know much about Sarah Palin."

Ms. Palin now says someone from her office did indeed try to pressure a
state official to fire her former brother in law from a state trooper
job, but adds that she had nothing to do with the call.

Nobody's going to care about pressure to fire a wife-beater.
Especially women.

I certainly believe that.

Ms. Palin will be politically acceptable to the right-wing extremists
who still control the GOP, but she sure isn't going to attract those
"Hillary" voters who are upset with the latter's loss of the
presidential and vice presidential nominations.

I guess you never met a woman scorned.
Obama dissed women bad, real bad, especially when he wrote Hillary off
as VP right off the bat.
18 million voters.
And "tough guy" Biden better remember what happened to that guy
running against Hillary for NY Senator when he came over to her podium
trying to intimidate her.
Oh my. This is getting interesting.
Obama didn't have the nuts to pick Hillary, and McCain has the nuts to
pick this woman.
But until we see how Palin handles herself, we won't know.

--Vic
HK HK is offline

Eisboch wrote:
"hk" wrote in message

[...]

Palin is a right-wing nutcase. Hillary supporters aren't going to go for
a woman who is anti-choice.