Default Navy Chiefs/Officers and Linguistics

That talk with Harry about "I could care less" reminds me of one of my
favorite Navy moments.
The boilermen on my can were a pretty rough crowd.
We worked hard in a hot place and were the dirtiest SOB's on the ship.
Navy Special Fuel Oil is nasty stuff, and sweat won't wash it off.
For a while a Virginian named Lee was top dog in my fireroom.
Lee had been a Chief, but got busted down to 1st Class after an
incident in a Chief's mess involving a dozen eggs and too much hooch.
He was about 36 or 37 years old, and started his military career in
the army of occupation in Europe in '46.
Went to the Navy in the early '50's.
He was tall and wiry, and still in good shape to crank a valve.
Lee took me under his wing because I was the sharpest BT aboard,
simple as that.
Well, I did respect my elders and enjoyed his stories too.
Lee put me in charge of all lighting off watches and parts
requisitions.
Those were both jobs he wanted done right, and nothing but a burden to
me, but he knew I wouldn't let him down.
Without getting into the background of a discussion we were having,
it went like this.
We were coming out of the hole into the main passageway.
As I emerged I said to Lee, who was right behind me on the ladder,
"That ****ing Benson ordered 60 bezels for the forward fireroom
console and the ****ing consumables budget is almost gone."
Well, a Lt. JG was walking by and took umbrage at my language.
Didn't know him. Maybe a weapons guy.
He stopped, and I guess in what he thought was his "dressing down"
pose, said to me "What did you just say sailor?"
Since I never lie, I said,
"That ****ing Benson ordered 60 bezels for the forward fireroom
console and the ****ing consumables budget is almost gone,
Sir!"
The JG was non-plussed, and looked at Lee, who was beside me now and
staring at the JG.
Lee said sharply to the JG, "That's what he said. I'll bet you a
****ing nickel."
The JG shook his head in disgust, and moved on.
Never talked about it with Lee, as we had work to do.
But I've never forgotten it. Don't know how it would have worked
out if Lee wasn't there. I figure Chiefs, even busted Chiefs, have
their own special way of handling officers half their age.

--Vic

Vic Smith wrote:

But I've never forgotten it. Don't know how it would have worked
out if Lee wasn't there. I figure Chiefs, even busted Chiefs, have
their own special way of handling officers half their age.

Chief's finish the training of Ensigns.

Go Navy! Capt. JG Cruising 20 February 24th 08 08:07 PM
In the Navy... Short Wave Sportfishing General 9 July 12th 07 12:42 AM
Go Navy SUZY ASA 0 May 5th 06 01:39 AM
The New Navy = $$$ WalterScottGray General 15 November 17th 03 02:19 PM