Default Oh oh - big storm...

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:39:48 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 02:17:46 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

While Gustav is running around south of Cuba, I checked some of the
modeling data - looks like over the next two weeks, we're looking at a
lot of activity in the tropics - like an explosion of tropical
depressions and storms. Nothing horrible except for one anomaly.

This will be interesting.

Yesterday, my older son and his wife closed on a waterfront "beach house"
about 2 miles north of the east end of the Cape Cod Canal. His backyard
overlooks that end of Cape Cod Bay and the view is more than spectacular.

I spent the day helping him move some furniture, etc. following the official
closing. Spent the night as well, setting up stuff and preparing for
today's delivery of the rest of the new furnishings. We watched as a USCG
helicopter monitored a boat in trouble about 5 miles offshore, while a
surface vessel came to their aid. This was all at about 9 pm. Also
watched recreational and commercial traffic exiting and entering the Canal.

Anyway, I was explaining to him what "fetch" was, prevailing winds and the
effects of a strong offshore storm will have on the ocean behind his house.
If your forecast is true, he's about to find out.

Their house is something I'd move into in a nanosecond. Small, but
adequate, but with an absolutely spectacular view.

Here's a pic of him and I in his backyard yesterday, taking a break from
furniture moving to enjoy the view and a brew:

http://www.eisboch.com/beachhouse.jpg

He's going to check into the possibilities of putting a mooring in just
offshore. If he can, it's a short trip by boat from Kingman up through the
Canal, and over to his place. Moor up, launch the inflatable and come
ashore. I could always anchor, but I'd feel better with a mooring. North
and North East winds can blow hard in that spot and generate some big waves.

Great location. Is he going to live there year round ?

wrote:

[...]

He justified the purchase to my DIL because it can generate substantial
income as a summer weekly or monthly rental.
In reality .... I don't think he will. I suspect it's more of a "get a
way". It's completely winterized and the former owners lived in it year
round. I think it will be a blast during a winter nor'easter blizzard.

The picture was taken from a large deck on the rear of the house. He
doesn't know it yet, but during a good northeast blow, the waves will be big
enough and the wind strong enough that he'll have to wear a rain slicker on
the deck to stay dry.

Eisboch

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:39:48 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

Yesterday, my older son and his wife closed on a waterfront "beach house"
about 2 miles north of the east end of the Cape Cod Canal. His backyard
overlooks that end of Cape Cod Bay and the view is more than spectacular.

Jeezum Pete you ain't kidding spectacular.

Just wait until a winter Nor'Easter - that will be spectacular. :)

NL - Den Helder - waiting out the storm - file 1 of 3 storm-1.jpg Jeronimus Tall Ship Photos 1 November 10th 07 08:11 AM
NL - Den Helder - waiting out the storm - file 3 of 3 storm-3.jpg Jeronimus Tall Ship Photos 0 November 10th 07 07:17 AM
NL - Den Helder - waiting out the storm - file 2 of 3 storm-2.jpg Jeronimus Tall Ship Photos 0 November 10th 07 07:17 AM
MAN WHAT A STORM! Larry Cruising 4 July 12th 07 07:13 AM
The same storm. Ellen MacArthur ASA 0 January 5th 07 05:46 PM