Default Olyimpics ... wow

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 21:02:40 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

Even with all the controversy surrounding China favoritism, the USA has
kicked ass.

Well done.

USA!! USA!! USA!!

Although we seemed to have a problem in boxing - we should have kicked
major butt with the talent they took over, but it didn't turn out that
way.

And got to see some really interesting sports this time around - for
instance, I never knew there was male field hockey. Or handball which
is a kind of basketball/soccer/hockey hybrid which I guess is popular
in Europe. Some really good soccer matches and for once, they
actually covered the velodrome events instead of ignoring it.

Did you see how good looking the Norwegian Field Hockey team was? They
all looked like models.

John H. wrote:
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 21:33:21 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 21:02:40 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

Even with all the controversy surrounding China favoritism, the USA has
kicked ass.

Well done.
USA!! USA!! USA!!

Although we seemed to have a problem in boxing - we should have kicked
major butt with the talent they took over, but it didn't turn out that
way.

And got to see some really interesting sports this time around - for
instance, I never knew there was male field hockey. Or handball which
is a kind of basketball/soccer/hockey hybrid which I guess is popular
in Europe. Some really good soccer matches and for once, they
actually covered the velodrome events instead of ignoring it.

I watched one of the handball contests .... I think it was Denmark against
somebody.

I don't think I had ever seen "handball" before. It struck me as a cross
between basketball and hockey.

Very athletic game.

Eisboch

Looked like water polo on land.

Handball used to be Racquetball, without the Racquet. Who is messing
with the rules?

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 06:07:10 -0400, "Earl of Warwich, Duke of Cornwall,
Marquies of Anglesea, Sir Reginald P. Smithers III Esq. LLC, STP. "
wrote:

John H. wrote:
[...]

This is a different game all together. It does look like two water polo
teams playing on a basketball court. Nets at either end, throwing the ball
to each other, dribbling, etc. I'd never seen it before.

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 06:05:18 -0400, "Earl of Warwich, Duke of
STP. " wrote:

[...]

All the Field Hockey teams had some good looking gals.

Mrs. Wave played Field Hockey in high school and varsity at Boston
College as an undergraduate.

STP. " wrote:

[...]

Nowadays the amount of goose **** on the playing fields is tending to drive
the cute ones off. The hardier souls are taking it up, if the schools even
have a team.

Must not be as many Canada geese in Norway. Or maybe they have enough sense
to shoot them and feed them to the hungry.

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 07:30:50 -0400, John H. wrote:

Must not be as many Canada geese in Norway. Or maybe they have enough
sense to shoot them and feed them to the hungry.

Be careful not to shoot the wrong ones. There are two populations of
Canada geese, migratory and resident. It's the resident population that
is causing the problems you mention. This state has a rather liberal bag
limit during the early season before the migratory birds appear, and as
the migratory birds are just now recovering from serious lows in the
1990s, restrict the bag limits when they are here. They have also
instituted a winter season to harvest the resident population. It seems
to be working, as there don't appear to be near as many geese as there
were a few years ago.

wrote in message
t...
On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 07:30:50 -0400, John H. wrote:

Must not be as many Canada geese in Norway. Or maybe they have enough
sense to shoot them and feed them to the hungry.

Be careful not to shoot the wrong ones. There are two populations of
Canada geese, migratory and resident. It's the resident population that
is causing the problems you mention. This state has a rather liberal bag
limit during the early season before the migratory birds appear, and as
the migratory birds are just now recovering from serious lows in the
1990s, restrict the bag limits when they are here. They have also
instituted a winter season to harvest the resident population. It seems
to be working, as there don't appear to be near as many geese as there
were a few years ago.

How do you tell the difference? Do the migratory geese have "I love
Florida" stickers on their tail feathers?

Eisboch

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 08:18:47 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

wrote in message
et...
[...]

Migratory geese are the ones flying around with the left turn signal
blinking.

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 08:18:47 -0400, Eisboch wrote:

How do you tell the difference? Do the migratory geese have "I love
Florida" stickers on their tail feathers?

Eisboch

Timing, the migratory birds are here only at certain times of the year.
NJ has an early hunting season before the migratory birds arrive. I
think, if your eye is trained, you can actually tell the difference. The
residents, I believe, are fatter and heavier. I guess the flying from
the Arctic does have an effect.