Default Even the geek who has everything...

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 09:45:33 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

wrote in message
news
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 08:48:42 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"Earl of Warwich, Duke of Cornwall, Marquies of Anglesea, Sir Reginald P.
Smithers III Esq. LLC, STP. " wrote in message
om...
Eisboch wrote:
"hk" wrote in message
...is unlikely to have this toy:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/9836/

Only $1589.

This geek much prefers this ....

(new release of classic, 1965 twin .... 100% vacuum tube powered)

http://www.eisboch.com/65twin.jpg

Eisboch

I wondered why this was not done earlier.

Do the "experts" say this sounds the same as the 1965 version?

I don't know. Sounds the same to me, but I am no expert.
It has not been redesigned. Just re-released as a product. Same cabinet
design, same Jensen "special" speakers, same tube pre-amps, reverb drivers
and 6L6 output stage.

I have another, solid state Fender "Stage 1000" that has digital signal
processing, etc. Sounds ok, but not like the tube twin.
There isn't a chip, processor or digital circuit in it.

Eisboch

Does it have the original tube rectifier, or the later replacement?

Hold on .... I'll check ....

Must be a solid state (brick) rectifier. It has 10 tubes total .... (4)
6L6's, (2) 12AT7's, (4) 12AX7's.

Ah - now you ruined it.

Solid state - bleeeech.... :)

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:41:57 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:19:00 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

wrote in message
. ..

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 09:45:33 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

Does it have the original tube rectifier, or the later replacement?

Hold on .... I'll check ....

Must be a solid state (brick) rectifier. It has 10 tubes total .... (4)
6L6's, (2) 12AT7's, (4) 12AX7's.

Eisboch

Purists would find that horrifying!

I have an old Super Reverb black face from around that era. Less power
than a twin, and four 10" speakers. Personally, I think it was the
best sounding guitar amp Fender ever produced. Something about the
acoustic coupling of the 4-10" speakers just works really well for
guitar. Amp-wise, it's basically just a Tremolux with reverb added.
Like the other amps of that era, including the twin, it lacks channel
switching, which makes it less than ideal for playing out. At 35
watts, it really isn't loud enough anyway, unless mic'ed through a PA.

Last night I was pleasantly surprised. Over the past year I've redeveloped
an interest in guitars and have collected a few, including amps. I enjoy
the different sound and play "feel" of the guitar types and amp
combinations.

Two of the guitars are Taylor acoustic/electrics, a 6 string and a 12
string. When played through my old Marshall Valvestat, the solid sate
Fender or the Vox amps, these guitars sounded horrible. So, I visited my
local music shop and bought a Kustom acoustic guitar amp and the Taylors
sound nice through it.

Last night I tried the Taylors plugged into the "Normal" channel of the
Fender Twin. Absolutely beautiful sound ... nice, rich, full and clean. I
was really surprised.

I haven't tried the EC "Blackie" yet. I suspect it will sound good.

Strat+Twin is one of the classic combinations.

Strat and anything is a classic combination. :)

I have an orignial Bandmaster - I wish I played more than I do.

wrote in message

[...]

What do you mean by an "original bandmaster"? You mean the one piece
combo version? I had a 1963 blond bandmaster (piggy-back) that I
bought new. Had to order it direct from Fender because there were no
dealers in my area. Came by freight train! I loved that amp until I
used a borrowed bassman at a gig. The 2-12 piggy-back bassman was a
great guitar amp, and sounded better to me than my Bandmaster.

Senior Member

On Aug 19, 11:03*am, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:41:57 -0400, wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:19:00 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

wrote in message
. ..

[...]

I have an orignial Bandmaster - I wish I played more than I do.- Hide quoted text -

Bring it over here, I will play it for a while for you, and if you
have an old tube amp, bring it too... Bad enough I can't play, but to
put it though my peavey wouldn't do it justice, even at 210
watts...

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:19:00 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

[...]

About 1975 I bought tube pre and power amps, 75 a channel, to go with
the Klipschorns. They were the best you could get at the time. They
have since improved the solid state ones.

Casady

wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:41:57 -0400, wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:19:00 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Um... Bandmaster is an amp, not a guitar, stairflopper.

Senior Member

wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:41:57 -0400, wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:19:00 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Um... Bandmaster is an amp, not a guitar, stairflopper.- Hide quoted text -

Yup, realized I snipped the wrong post,, you caught me, you must be
proud.. Man, get a life..

wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:41:57 -0400, wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:19:00 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Your Al Gore Rhythm seems to be faulty, stairflopper. You aren't
supposed to be seeing my posts that upset you so much. Gene did all
that work specifically to isolate and shut you up. I guess you haven't
figured that out yet.

news:S72dnXHEG803IDfVnZ2dnUVZ_qXinZ2d@comcast. com...
Eisboch wrote:
"hk" wrote in message
[...]

What does a full wave, solid state bridge recifier have to do with the sound
of the preamps and power amps?
All it does is supply clean B+ and bias voltages to the grids? I'll bet
the solids are cleaner, DC wise, than the tubes.

Eisboch