Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Self bailing or not

I want to decide whether or not to install self bailing on my Tolman
to go offshore. From what I can see, self bailing is installed on
boats with sealed decks with the scuppers roughly 3" above the deck.
My boat has no deck because I think it is important to have access to
the hull at all times. My current floatation is from two compartments
with screw on covers at bow and stern. I can even get into them if
necessary. This lack of deck means that any scuppers would be far
above the bottom of the boat and would not drain much water. Instead,
I rely on the inherent dryness of the boat (very high bow and sides)
and the completely sealed dry well in front of the motor and a large
3500 gph pump just in case. From my reading, I see that scuppers seem
to cause a lot of problems too. However, one web site stated flatly
that any boat going offshore had to have self bailing. So, thoughts?

Bailing Bucket John Cruising 6 July 7th 10 03:51 PM
durable/reliable gasoline pump for emergency bailing ? Courtney Thomas Cruising 13 February 2nd 06 03:04 AM
What Does "Self Bailing" Mean for a 18-ft Center Console? [email protected] General 20 December 28th 05 09:09 PM
Wanted to buy: 4-6 man self bailing raft, Puma,Shredder? Mark Tootle General 0 December 20th 03 05:00 PM
Wanted: Small 4-6 man self bailing raft, Puma, Shredder etc. Mark Tootle Whitewater 0 December 19th 03 06:06 PM