HK HK is offline

Default Whoops

2006 Evinrude E-tec problems 3:20 PM 2/27/2007 Reply Edit

Was wondering if anyone out there was having trouble with the Evinrude
e-tec 150's. I recently purchased a new 28 ft RIB and installed new
evinrude e-tecs.

With less than 20 hrs on the boat, I have replaced three powerheads. One
powerhead on the std motor (it blew up and put two holes on both sides
of the block, have the pictures to prove it), and two on the counter
rotating engine (piston came up and took out a spark plug then melted
itself into the egine block). As the boat sits in the shop with its new
powerheads and 45 minutes of use I was just told that the starter went
out on the Std rotating engine. A cracked pinion gear that got stuck in
the flywheel.

After long deliberation with Evinrude, it was halfway determined that
bad maps on the original engines caused the failures, meaning they do
not know for sure.

Very frustrated with these engines and ready to drive them into the
ground next to the Titanic.

Anyone else have trouble?

From BassBoatCentral

hk wrote:
[...]

From BassBoatCentral

I have wondered why Ficht was the best thing since sliced bread (when
you owned one) and E-Tecs sucks now that you own a Yamaha? No matter
what anyone thinks about E-Tec's vs 4 stroke, it is universally believed
that E-Tec is a superior engine when compared to the Ficht?

I can remember long diatribes about why you would NEVER own a 4 stroke,
and Ficht was the ONLY way to go.
HK HK is offline

hk wrote:
[...]

From BassBoatCentral

And a few mo

ETEC Problems 9:13 AM 7/2/2008 Reply Edit

Hello people, first of all I own an 2005 ETEC model number E60DPLSD.
(Didn't want to get ridiculed...!)
I was wondering if there was any other owners out there that have had
issues with their similar size motor? Suffice it to say that mine has
more hours on the trailer than in the water at this point and I am more
than a bit frustrated. Every dealer I talk to say "they never see them
come back" for work however I find that a bit hard to believe since mine
has left me stranded at least 2 times a year since I have purchased it.
They claim no scheduled maintenance for 3 years however it's the
unschedule work that's killing me. I bought this thing because of the
hype but I am wishing I had my old 25 year old Merc back now, and I am
definately not a Merc fan. My arms are sore from paddling....
Any insight from anyone?

ETEC Problems (rickdb1) » 9:32 AM 7/2/2008 Reply Edit

well the first year i believe it was found there were issues with the
wiring harness causing intermittent check engine and into SAFE mode. One
minute it would work, the next you are doing 1200 RPMs with no warning.
They fixed the faulty lead and that worked for about two hours of water
running (3 hours of trailering) and it starting intermittently throwing
check engine errors and shut the motor down. That was 3 trips back to
get that resolved. This spring on a remote fishing trip it left us
stranded overnight miles away from our camp with no shelter and food for
the night. That was determined to be a plug gone bad. I can almost
understand the plug thing if it wasn't for the fact that I have had
other engines with normal plugs, and I change them out of routine
maintenance, and not too frequently.
Now it's throwing check engine and hot lights and it'a back to the
dealer. I can't remember the other issues. It's really to the point now
I don't like taking it anywhere for fear of being stranded. Not the
reason I sold my 25 year old motor and bought a new one. I am just
trying to understand if anyone else has seen this kind of thing.
fish4bas
GROWING OLDER BUT NOT UP...

Offline

531 posts
Beckley W.V.

ETEC Problems (johan_smyth) » 10:19 AM 7/2/2008 Reply Edit

I have an 2006 225 E-Tec Ho. How did your dealer find the wiring harness
problem, it sounds like that could be the issue with my motor as well. I
have had mine to the shop several times and the computer is not picking
up any faults. When i would first start the motor it would light up all
the faults on the rpm gage and the motor would go into safe mode, and
then i would half to keep turning the power off until it would work
properly. The thing is that it only would do this 1 out of 5 times..
johan_smyth
Member

Offline

14 posts
Brockville ON

ETEC Problems (fish4bas) » 10:37 AM 7/2/2008 Reply Edit

That sounds exactly like what mine was doing during the first year of
problems. One minute it was working, next it wasn't and no codes when
they put it on the computer. Not sure how they found it but another
mechanic told me they did have problems with the harness in the early
days. I am thinking now that maybe they should have replaced the whole
thing.

I had the same problem with a 2005 225 HO. I had the dealer change out
the engine harness from motor to the console. When Champion rebuilt my
hull, they put a screw thru the harness and shorted out a few wires. The
ground wire was burnt to a crisp. This cost me $200.00 to have done and
Champion would not even warranty the harness, even with the hole in the
harness.
Since the harness was replaced, the motor runs great.
2005 Evinrude ETEC 225 HO for Sale
Warranty thru 4/2012
$10,500

Has anyone had any problems with their 2006 Etec H.O. motors?

I have had Injection related failures where the plugs are oiled to the
point of non-ignition. I slow troll at about 2000 rpm and never run the
motor at max RPM. This has resulted in two tow incidents miles out into
the Atlantic and one extremely dangerous situation. The first time my
dealer says he replaced the needles that inject the oil with longer
ones, this is the Evinrude reccomended fix for my application-slow
trolling. The problem is that when the motor stalls on application of
throttle, or when idling down, it won't restart. The starter actually
will not sit and crank the motor. It disengages instantly after it tries
to turn it over once or twice. These two incidences happened three weeks
apart. please advise! The motor is on a 2101 Seaswirl WA. The motor is a
2006 with 60 hours on it.

I have been using the XD100 oil at 100 to 1 since new. They are now
telling me there is an injector problem and that is causing the failure
and there is hydraulic lock on the motor. I actually had the motor
running last time and under full throttle it did abot 7 knots, obviously
running on 3 or 4 cylinders. There is no way it was running on 5, I shut
it down imedialetly and it didn't restart. One faulty injector cannot
foul the plugs in the other cylinders. To date Evinrude has not been
great at customer service on this issue. I am a former American Honda
employee and a Honda registered technician. They are telling me some
pretty unusal things and not imediately handling it . At Honda our goal
was to meet or exceed our customers expectations, especially on new
products! If it was a Honda I would have a new motor and a free extended
warranty. It seems as if Evinrude wants to troubleshoot this in the
field at my expense. This motor should be at their R&D facility in
Wisconsin or where ever they do it. I am almost ****ed, not yet though.
My dealer is great and keeping me sane. I will let you know how they
resolve it. Cross your fingers.

Profile Private message Top of the page Bottom of the page
Eastbound

Posted 4/25/2006 9:40 PM (#1003485 - in reply to #990968)
Subject: 200 Etec Problems Quote Reply Alert
Offline

Captain's Club Member

Member Since:
2/27/2006

Wish I would of never bought one!!! I just got mine back out of the
shop again. When it blew up earlier this year they repaired it with a
brand new 06 top end, but it seemed to be burning about three gallons
more at wot then the old 05, and had a problem running smoothly at lower
rpm's. Come to find out the computer they put on the motor at the
assembly line was programmed for a 250 instead of a 225. What type of
quality control is that?? Also had to have some sort of upgrade kit
installed for the spark plugs fowling issues. Not a happy man with mine.

They should stop spending so much money on those info commercials and
figure out these motors!!

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 09:20:11 -0400, hk wrote:

That was determined to be a plug gone bad. I can almost
understand the plug thing if it wasn't for the fact that I have had
other engines with normal plugs, and I change them out of routine
maintenance, and not too frequently.

The Lincoln Navigator tow vehicle got the recommended new plugs at 100
000 mi, although they looked fine. On the Navigator, it takes about
two hours to change the plugs, so it is just as well they last so
long. Platinum points. You can't get such a thing for your engine.?

Casady
HK HK is offline

Richard Casady wrote:
On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 09:20:11 -0400, hk wrote:

That was determined to be a plug gone bad. I can almost
understand the plug thing if it wasn't for the fact that I have had
other engines with normal plugs, and I change them out of routine
maintenance, and not too frequently.

The Lincoln Navigator tow vehicle got the recommended new plugs at 100
000 mi, although they looked fine. On the Navigator, it takes about
two hours to change the plugs, so it is just as well they last so
long. Platinum points. You can't get such a thing for your engine.?

Casady

Uhhh...this was just a pass-along, not a post outlining a problem I was
having with an internal combustion engine. :)

I change the spark plugs on my lawn tractor once a year. Takes less than
five minutes, including unwrapping the plugs and checking their gaps.

Haven't had to check the plugs on my trusty Husky chain saw or on my
string trimmer.

:)