HK HK is offline

Default Re-entering the 21st century

Eisboch wrote:
On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 11:16:00 -0400, "Jim" wrote:

"Eisboch" wrote in message
"Earl of Warwich, Duke of Cornwall, Marquies of Anglesea, Sir Reginald
P.
Smithers III Esq. LLC, STP. " wrote in message
. ..
My problem with all water along the SE coast is they are way to soft
and
you can taste and actually smell the limestone. The water in Myrtle
Beach has got to the worst water I have ever tasted, and it is
impossible
to completely rinse off in the shower.

On the other hand, NYC has the best tasting water in the world.
Which is why they have the best tasting pizza.

I had forgotten about Florida well water and the contraptions of tanks
and
salt bins used to make it useable. Even with new carbon filters plus
the
salt and something else that I can't remember, you could still smell
sulfur.

I miss the mid-winter weather, but I don't miss the water.

Water comes out of my well at 7.4PH No need for a softener. We do have a
chlorine sanitizing system so there is no taste or odor. There was a
sulpher
smell to the water when we first moved in but it went away when the filter
was turned on. I didn't notice any water problems at your place but then I
don't recall drinking any. ;-)

One of the things I hate about the water at the kids houses is the
water is too soft.

I have real water - with calcium, iron and it's hard as a rock.

Which is the way water should be. :)

We put a private well in several years back. They had to go down just over
500' in order to get the flow rates they wanted.
It's used primarily for the sprinkler systems for the lawns and one of the
horse paddocks, but we also plumbed it into the pool water make up system
and the cabana's sink. I'll betcha if we had it tested, it would be purer,
better water than the town supplies to the house.

Eisboch

We lucked out and got a high flow of good water at 250'. One of our
near-neighbors had to go down more than 400 feet. We get a water test
every year from the county and so far, so good. The county has little
interest in piping municipal water to "us'ns" out here in ruralville.

--
"The Democratic Party strongly and unequivocally supports Roe v. Wade
and a woman's right to choose a safe and legal abortion,

wrote in message

You cannot haul
any more than about 300 gal at a time because the road up the mountain
is seriously treacherous in winter and even in summer is scary hauling
a shifting load of water.

That was a problem for us in Florida also ..... not the water ..... the
monthly beer supply.

Eisboch

"hk" wrote in message
. ..

We lucked out and got a high flow of good water at 250'. One of our
near-neighbors had to go down more than 400 feet. We get a water test
every year from the county and so far, so good. The county has little
interest in piping municipal water to "us'ns" out here in ruralville.

It's surprising that you hit at 250', yet your neighbor had to go over 400'.
My understanding, based on what the well driller told me, is that deep wells
are dug into the bedrock. The bedrock is basically saturated with water,
typically for many miles around ... even hundreds of miles . As you draw
water, the bedrock local to your well tip re-saturates almost immediately.

Eisboch

HK HK is offline

Eisboch wrote:
"hk" wrote in message
. ..

We lucked out and got a high flow of good water at 250'. One of our
near-neighbors had to go down more than 400 feet. We get a water test
every year from the county and so far, so good. The county has little
interest in piping municipal water to "us'ns" out here in ruralville.

It's surprising that you hit at 250', yet your neighbor had to go over 400'.
My understanding, based on what the well driller told me, is that deep wells
are dug into the bedrock. The bedrock is basically saturated with water,
typically for many miles around ... even hundreds of miles . As you draw
water, the bedrock local to your well tip re-saturates almost immediately.

Eisboch

It's not the first time I have encountered this anomaly. I had a well at
one of the houses I had in Northern Virginia. We went down about 325'
there, but families nearby went down 225' and a couple went down more
than 400'.

We have a dry creek bed, a really deep one, at the back of our property
that goes right to the Bay, and we're at least 100' above sea level.
Considering how close we are to the Bay, when there was water in that
creek, the flow rate must have been phenomenal. The truly amazing thing
is that the creek bed starts on our property, and there is no evidence
of water flow at that point. So...where did the water that carved the
creek come from? Glacial carving?

On Aug 11, 12:24 pm, hk wrote:
Eisboch wrote:
"hk" wrote in message

[...]

Perhaps the "Creek bed" formed over a crack in underlying rock and the
material in the bed both washed into the rock and downhill thus
exagerating the appearance of flow. What type of rock?

On Aug 11, 11:37*am, wrote:
On Aug 11, 11:29 am, wrote:

On Aug 11, 10:53 am, "Earl of Warwich, Duke of Cornwall, Marquies of
Anglesea, Sir Reginald P. Smithers III Esq. LLC, STP. "

On Aug 11, 9:50 am, hk wrote:
wrote:
Dang, we got indoor plumbing again. *As y'all know, our well went out
just as soon as we got into cleaning a bunch of scallops. *Nobody'd
fix it on a weekend so we all went to Wacissa Spring for swimming
yesterday. *Finally got a guy to come out and install a new relay. *I
coulda done it myself but my wife insisted I get somebody to do it so
I wouldnt screw up my back again. However, with a messed up back, I
couldnt bury the scallop guts deep enough and the dogs got into em.
As an honorary redneck, when I lived in Florida, I went fishing a lot,
several times a week, in fact, and when I cleaned the fish, I had to
find a place to get rid of the guts and such. One of our neighbors was a
Filipina, married to a retired Navy chief. She loved fish, he did not.
So I always gave her some of my catch. After a while, she asked what I
did with the fish heads, because she wanted them...for soup.

Dan, her husband, wouldn't go near that soup, because, he said, he
didn't like fish eyeballs staring at him out of a bowl.

Anyway, to get back to what you posted, I would bury the remainder of
the guts in my wife's garden in the back yard. Our soil was very sandy,
so it was easy enough to dig deep enough holes so the critters wouldn't
get to the guts. Improved the garden, too.

We had city water, but a well for lawn watering. Dug with high pressure
water, hit the water table about 20' below the surface. That was strange
to me...never saw anything like that up north in Yankeeville.

--
"The Democratic Party strongly and unequivocally supports Roe v. Wade
and a woman's right to choose a safe and legal abortion,
regardless of ability to pay, and we oppose any and all efforts
to weaken or undermine that right."

Most places in Florida, decent water (the Florida Aquafer) is down
around 80 feet.
In western NY state, wells hardly ever need to be deeper than 25 feet
in the valleys, and even on most hills.

My problem with all water along the SE coast is they are way to soft and
you can taste and actually smell the limestone. *The water in Myrtle
Beach has got to the worst water I have ever tasted, and it is
impossible to completely rinse off in the shower.

On the other hand, NYC has the best tasting water in the world. *
Which is why they have the best tasting pizza.- Hide quoted text -

I Florida, you can get water and not be in the aquafer, but it is
nasty. Believe it or not, you can even get into pockets of Iron water.
It'll stain your toilet in a couple of days! I had a friend who owned
a well drilling company in Florida.

My 250' well produces water with no sulfur smell at all and no iron
taste. *I know all about sulfur and iron tasting water, generally this
is from surface water, not aquifer water.- Hide quoted text -

Yep, that's why I said that you can get water and not be in the
aquifer and it's nasty.
HK HK is offline

wrote:
On Aug 11, 12:24 pm, hk wrote:
Eisboch wrote:
"hk" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Well, some of it is sandstone.

"Eisboch" wrote in message
[...]

It definitely taste better and is much better for cleaning.

I heard that Coke tried to duplicate the mineral content of NYC water

"Eisboch" wrote in message
[...]

The problem I have with Atlanta water is you can actually smell the
chlorine as it comes out of the tap. Since the water comes from Lanier,
and I have seen what pollutants, including spilled gas, go into the
water, I have a water filter that reduces the following from the water

96% of MTBE
99% of VOC
96% of Mercury
99% of Lead
99.99% of Cysts
97% of Chlorine taste and odor
99% of Asbestos
Sediment
Class I Particulates
Rust

I use for cooking and then filter that water through activated charcoal
for my drinking water

wrote in message
On Aug 11, 11:38 am, "Eisboch" wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message

"Eisboch" wrote in message
m...

[...]

When we first purchased the "Ranch House", the water was terrible. We
had
the whole water conditioning system ripped out and replaced with a new
system that included a carbon filter tank. It worked fine, but needed
monthly maintenance, even though it was supposed to be fully "automatic"
in
terms of regeneration.

But, you correct. We rarely drank water unless it was premixed with hops
and barley and came in a keg.

Eisboch

Our place in Wyoming is at 8000' and does not have a well. The
probability of hitting water is poor. Our neighbor drilled 1500' and
only gets about 40 gal/day. Drilling costs are over $30/ft. SO, the
solution is to have a big cistern and to haul water. You cannot haul
any more than about 300 gal at a time because the road up the mountain
is seriously treacherous in winter and even in summer is scary hauling
a shifting load of water. This means you learn to use water as if you
are living on a boat.
We want to put in the cistern this next summer but we disagree on the
size. She wants a 3000 gal one and I want the 1750 gal one. They
have to be buried at least a foot under ground and this is in a place
where we are likely to hit rock 2' down, meaning blasting which is
expensive. Furhtermore, such a buried cistern must be kept about 1/4
full all the time meaning I have to haul a lot of loads just for the
minimum. Run-off from the roof of any moderate sized cabin would be
only enough integrated over a year to provide enough water for a
couple of months.
As we cannot agree on this or even on the size of cabin to build, I
will simply use the existing 100 yr old log cabin (430 sq ft, huge for
that time period) but I plan to add a 500 gal above ground tank for
summer use.

Bigger catch basin. Pt. Reyes lighthouse has a huge cistern and many square
yards of concrete for catching the fog moisture and filling the cistern.
Almost never rains on the point. Sticks a long way out into the ocean.