Default Recent Boat Transactions

Ah, so what? Harry's brand new Parker needs a transom too!

Gee, I didnt know that. How did you find that out Loogy ?

Sorry for the reference to a " bad transom" , Harry. My appologies.

Scott

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 12:25:20 -0400, "Jim" wrote:

Set up an account in a local bank and use it for this transaction. Don't
release the boat until you have assurance from the bank that the transaction
has completed and the funds are available to you. I have done some
significant wire transfers and all went well.

That is good advice. Do not accept a cashiers check under any
circumstances - there are a lot of scams out there.

Close out the wire transfer account when you are finished with it.

"DownTime" wrote in message
. ..
Just curious to know if anyone here has recently had a negative experience
in either buying or selling a boat. I have mine listed for sale, and a
potential buyer coming on Friday.

In the past, I tended to be somewhat of a trusting soul, and generally
considered cashier's check good as cash. With all the fraud and scammers
in the world, would anyone accept a cashier's check and hand over the
keys? I am not likely unless it is drawn against a local bank I can walk
into to get my cash.

The buyer had asked to be able to do an electronic wire transfer, which
sounds reasonable to me for this transaction. The institution I use does
not have a local brick-and-mortar facility to walk into. I am not
interested or looking forward to driving 2.5 hrs each way to get to it
either.

I'm interested to know if anyone has recent experiences with problems or
positives with fairly significant sums of money being exchanged.

My daughter, while working as a claims rep for a large ins. co. dealt with a
claim on a stolen Mercedes. The seller had sold it for $17,000 and accepted
a cashiers check for same. Buyer drove off with car and title and seller
took the check to the bank. Turned out that the check was for $17 and the
seller had cleverly added three zeros to the sum and somehow added the word
"thousand" also. Ins. co. paid on the claim and eventually found the car in
California but wasn't able to retrieve the car as the buyer had sold it to a
dealer for cash and the dealer had the title signed by the original owner.
I don't know if they ever found the thief but I'm sure they wouldn't have
had much luck getting any money back from him.

Tom G.

On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 12:13:58 -0400, DownTime
wrote:

[...]

That's why they still make cash.

Casady

"DownTime" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I sold my sailboat last year and accepted a partial transfer payment for
about 40% and a personal cheque for the remainder.
i was nervous, but the buyer and his wife were friends with on of my sons
friends.
This city is just small enough that you can find almost anyone...getting
money back is another matter though.

"DownTime" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I sold a 52' Navigator for a bunch of money and accepted a personal check
that he sent in the mail.
Of course, he didn't move the boat for another four months because it was in
the middle of January. I figured that was safe.

Wire transfer is about the safest bet now-a-days, but even that has the risk
of exposing your bank account number.
I opened a seperate bank account and deposited the minimum amount of money
to keep it open. That account was intended to be used only for incomming
wire transfers. Problem is, I never used it, forgot about it and
eventually the monthly service fees exceeded the initial deposit I had made.
I got a notice from the bank saying my account was over drawn. Not
knowing *what* account they were talking about caused some nervous moments
until it was identified.

Eisboch