Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Lobster Warning

"hk" wrote in message
Vic Smith wrote:
For you bug epicures, found elsewhere.
Is it true that eating a lobster without eating the tomalley is like
kissing your sister? That's what one guy said.
I'm innocent in the way of eating lobsters, and have only given my
sisters pecks.

--Vic

FDA warns against eating lobster liver

17 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) ? The government warned consumers Monday not to eat
the soft, green substance found in the body cavity of lobsters, saying
it may be contaminated with a toxin.

It's still OK to eat the white lobster meat found in the claws and
tails of the undersea delicacy, but the green stuff that most diners
already avoid should definitely be discarded this year, said the Food
and Drug Administration. Known also as tomalley, the substance acts as
the liver and pancreas of the lobster.

A red tide ? or algae bloom ? ranging from Northern New England to
Canada this year has contaminated fishing grounds with high levels of
toxins that cause paralytic shellfish poisoning. The federal warning
follows similar advisories from public health authorities in Maine,
Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Canada.

The warning applies to American lobster, also known as Maine lobster,
which is harvested in Atlantic waters from Canada to South Carolina.

I'm a Yankee, and my mother was a Yankee. We ate lots'o'lobster when I was
growing up in Connecticut, and we did not eat the green stuff. Neither did
my father, but he was only a Yankee transplant.

When I was growing up, there were some wonderful seaside restaurants in
the area where you could buy a lobster roll filled with real sauteed
lobster for 65 cents. :)

Sometimes I went to visit a good friend who lived in Waterbury. His father
had a fish market. On weekends, we'd deliver live lobsters (and other
seafood) to some of the restaurants in Waterbury. On foot...we were too
young to drive. We'd get a buck tip per delivery. In those days, a
complete lobster dinner, with a two pounder and all the trimmings, was
about $9.00

Damn expensive lobster. In about 1960 an Abalone dinner at Fisherman's
Wharf in San Francisco was about $3. I can remember taking the wife, then
girlfriend to Paoli's in SF in about 1967. $21 for dinner for 2. Rack of
lamb and a bottle of wine. The government and "Public Service" Unions have
caused unbridled inflation. I made $23k a year as a mid level engineer in
1980. Now is poverty level. No wonder jobs are being exported overseas.
We have raised salaries beyond any resonable level Instead of maybe 2x 3rd
world country, we are 20x.

Lobster Boats MWB[_2_] Tall Ship Photos 0 July 13th 08 10:54 PM
Another Lobster Boat MWB[_2_] Tall Ship Photos 0 July 12th 08 06:25 AM
Lobster Boat MWB[_2_] Tall Ship Photos 4 July 8th 07 10:57 PM
Tasty lobster anyone? Don White General 12 January 4th 06 12:23 AM
WARNING TO BOATERS WARNING TO BAOTERS Capt. Frank Hopkins General 5 October 30th 03 08:36 PM