HK HK is offline

Default Can I pull this boat?

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 20:24:25 -0400, HK wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 16:22:27 -0500, SSmokin wrote:

I have a 2002 Ford F-150. 5.4, 4x4 Extended Cab. I’m looking at a
29’ Cheetah offshore (CX-29). I know that the truck can pull the boat
from point A to point B, but what about "out of the water, on a steep
ramp"? Any thoughts?
In my opinion, no.

I have a 2005 version of that same truck and it will barely tow my
Ranger 20' 200 C center console - boat, engine, trailer weigh in at
just over 5,000 lbs. I get 5 mpg on average over 900 miles of towing
just last week and the average speed was 50 mph.

Do what you will, but you need a bigger truck.

Hmmm. Apples and oranges, but when I pull Yo Ho, I get about 12 mpg
with my V8 SUV. I think we are pulling about the same weight, too.

Of course it does.

You are the master.

Well, that's what the gauge sez when I tow, Tom. I'll be glad to
introduce you...you and the gauge can argue over it.

The tow vehicle brake system must be able to stop the rig in a
reasonable distance in the event of trailer brake failure. An F150
brake system is NOT-REPEAT NOT adequate for this setup. Whether or not
it can pull the boat out of the hole (also doubtful) is irrelevant..
Get a real truck. F250 minimum., F350 better.
JR

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 16:22:27 -0500, SSmokin wrote:

I have a 2002 Ford F-150. 5.4, 4x4 Extended Cab. I’m looking at a
29’ Cheetah offshore (CX-29). I know that the truck can pull the boat
from point A to point B, but what about "out of the water, on a steep
ramp"? Any thoughts?

HOME PAGE:
http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth
Senior Member

On Jul 29, 10:28*pm, JR North wrote:
The tow vehicle brake system must be able to stop the rig in a
reasonable distance in the event of trailer brake failure. An F150
brake system is NOT-REPEAT NOT adequate for this setup. Whether or not
it can pull the boat out of the hole (also doubtful) is irrelevant..
Get a real truck. F250 minimum., F350 better.
JR

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 16:22:27 -0500, SSmokin wrote:
I have a 2002 Ford F-150. *5.4, 4x4 Extended Cab. *I’m looking at a
29’ Cheetah offshore (CX-29). *I know that the truck can pull the boat
from point A to point B, but what about "out of the water, on a steep
ramp"? *Any thoughts? *

HOME PAGE:http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth

This is a troll of some sort.. If you go over the posts from this guys
history, he says he owns just about everything on wheels, and
everything needs something fixed. There is something really fishy
about it though, Either way, the whole thread is most likely a sham...
HK HK is offline

[...]

I'll be glad to set up a meeting between you and the mileage meter on my
SUV. You can argue with it. The last time I checked the mileage, I
pulled the boat about 35 miles from the dealership down to Solomons,
MD., and except for two miles of shopping center congestion, ran the SUV
at 60 mph.

When you say your "average speed" over 900 miles was 50 mph, you don't
say what your top speed was, or how long you ran at that speed, or what
kind of traffic you might have encountered, et cetera. In other words,
there is so little specificity in your narrative, it is meaningless.

I used to tow a 19-foot SeaPro, a rig just a tad lighter than yours.
Towed it with a Toyota V8 truck. Got around 11 mph at highway towing
speeds.

On Jul 29, 10:04*pm, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 17:58:13 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
On Jul 29, 7:16*pm, "Eisboch" wrote:
wrote in message

Do what you will, but you need a bigger truck.

I have to disagree, I think that truck is more than enough.

A 29' boat with a F-150?

Are you serious?

Eisboch

Yes. Remember that I " wash the trucks as they come of the
truck" ...remember?
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *(snarky remark you made discussing
Vipers, and the T-10 Engine)
My Astro Van can pull my 20' tank of a boat, on a twin axle trailer.
It also launches, and recovers it as well.
Are the F-150s you get in the states de-tuned or something? Put your
foot in it.

The Corsair I had I towed from the barn where I found it three miles
with a 500 cc Polaris ATV.

Same boat you have.

That's a REAL heavy boat.- Hide quoted text -

Havent weighed it yet. That would entail driving 18 miles to the only
truckstop with a public scale that I know about. Since I levelled the
tow height...you hardly know its there.Any idea what the boat and
trailer weighed that you had? Twin axle? V6 Kaiser engine?
Since I re-did the subframes and replaced the waterlogged flooring, I
bet it weighs a " few " pounds less.

On Jul 29, 10:28*pm, JR North wrote:
The tow vehicle brake system must be able to stop the rig in a
reasonable distance in the event of trailer brake failure. An F150
brake system is NOT-REPEAT NOT adequate for this setup. Whether or not
it can pull the boat out of the hole (also doubtful) is irrelevant..
Get a real truck. F250 minimum., F350 better.
JR

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 16:22:27 -0500, SSmokin wrote:
I have a 2002 Ford F-150. *5.4, 4x4 Extended Cab. *I’m looking at a
29’ Cheetah offshore (CX-29). *I know that the truck can pull the boat
from point A to point B, but what about "out of the water, on a steep
ramp"? *Any thoughts? *

HOME PAGE:http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth

I seriously dont think even a F350 would stop that boat and trailer in
an emergency. With that rig...you'd be " goin' in " in a panic
stop.The tow vehicle would simply slide, even on dry pavement.

Either way, the whole thread is most likely a sham...

BUT...it IS on topic.......

wrote in message

Do what you will, but you need a bigger truck.

I have to disagree, I think that truck is more than enough.

A 29' boat with a F-150?

Are you serious?

Eisboch

Yes. Remember that I " wash the trucks as they come of the
truck" ...remember?
(snarky remark you made discussing
Vipers, and the T-10 Engine)
My Astro Van can pull my 20' tank of a boat, on a twin axle trailer.
It also launches, and recovers it as well.
Are the F-150s you get in the states de-tuned or something? Put your
foot in it.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the engine. It has everything to do
with the suspension, brakes, and rear end ratio. The F-150 is a light duty
truck. I don't know what the 29' boat weighs, but I suspect it is at least
5000 lbs ..... probably more when engine, gas and gear are factored in.
The F 150, although maybe "rated" by Ford to be adequate ... isn't, IMO, for
any long distance, hauling of a boat that size.

Eisboch

"JR North" wrote in message
The tow vehicle brake system must be able to stop the rig in a
reasonable distance in the event of trailer brake failure. An F150
brake system is NOT-REPEAT NOT adequate for this setup. Whether or not
it can pull the boat out of the hole (also doubtful) is irrelevant..
Get a real truck. F250 minimum., F350 better.
JR

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 16:22:27 -0500, SSmokin wrote:

I have a 2002 Ford F-150. 5.4, 4x4 Extended Cab. I'm looking at a
29' Cheetah offshore (CX-29). I know that the truck can pull the boat
from point A to point B, but what about "out of the water, on a steep
ramp"? Any thoughts?

HOME PAGE:
http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth

Here's the boat this guy wants to tow .....

http://www.cheetahboats.net/cheetah_...icture_211.jpg

If the question is serious .... I still say the F-150 is too light of a duty
truck.

Eisboch

1959 40' CC Skiff... Designing a ramp/lift to pull boat up bank. Paul Wiggins Boat Building 5 August 9th 07 10:44 PM
Boat pull vehicle Tim General 10 March 14th 07 12:07 AM
Pull out Now! Jeff Rigby General 4 October 19th 06 12:49 AM
if the upper envelopes can cook undoubtably, the poor boat may pull more signs Diane ASA 0 April 22nd 05 11:22 AM
just hating to a boat for the square is too cheap for Yani to pull it Heavy Putrid Jerkoff ASA 0 April 8th 05 12:21 PM