Default Autopsy Report on Cruis'n Rulz!

My machinist is going to go through the heads. He's great. I will hone
the cylinders also while the heads are off. Since I had to pull the FWC
and P/S-Alt package to remove the left head, I yanked the water pump
also for replacement, and am going to pull the balancer and timing
cover. The cover is pretty rusty, so refinish there and new front seal.
A lot of the fasteners on the engine were not SS, and very corroded, so
a comprehensive replacement of all the steel fasteners also. I figure
this scenario is fortuitous; a couple more years and most of those
fasteners would have just snapped off.
JR

wrote:

On Jul 25, 11:21 am, JR North wrote:

The result of the failed right bank manifold, allowing sea water to run
in the exhaust port into the cylinder. That's what seized the valve
also. Only 2 cylinders show rust on the right bank, none on the left.
JR

That makes sense. So what's the plan?

Home Page:
http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth

jamesgangnc wrote:
wrote in message
On Jul 25, 8:03 am, "jamesgangnc" wrote:

"JR North" wrote in message

news

As The Wrench Turns...
Got the heads off; and posted some pics on the metalworking Dropbox
at:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/
See valve.jpg 3 pics
No damage to the cylinder wall or head, and just a couple minor dings
on the piston crown. Lucky me.
JR
HOME PAGE:
http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth

That's a lot of rust on that head. Other one look like that?

That's what I thought......certainly makes think about whether this is
common with I/O's. Never owned one, so I don't know. I believe he said
he fogged it, didn't he?

Not the ones I see. But then I'm in "trailer boating in lakes" land here in
Raleigh. Might be sitting in a slip in salt water does it. There is going
to be one or two cylinders sitting with the exhaust valve open when the
engine is shut off just about everytime. If the boat sits in water then the
humidity is going to remain high through the exhaust system so it will get
high in the cylinder as well. It's not specific to an i/o though, any boat
with an inboard marinized auto engine is going to be in the same situation.
I would have expected the small amount of oil that gets past the valve stems
to keep the valves from sticking though.

The main issue specific to i/os in a slip is that the outdrive sits in the
water. Most outboards can be raised enough to get the entire engine out of
the water.

Regular use would probably reduce the problem. And that might explain why
commercial fishing boats run marinized auto engines for a long time without
problems.

I concur, the salt isn't the problem. Mine is slipped in the Salt and
when I rebuilt the engine there was no internal rust. There is a lot of
surface rust that you need to stay ahead of. Even if you can't take it
out, running the engine weekly if it sits in the salt helps. My boat
goes out fishing 1-2 times per week 44 weeks per year given decent weather.

With a valve frozen and that amount of rust I would want to look at the
oil pump and passageways. When the valve cover was open, did there
apprear to be oil on the rocker arms?

Sandpounder
24' Skipjack FB

On Jul 25, 12:57*pm, Vic Smith
wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 12:14:36 -0400, Gene Kearns

wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 09:01:33 -0700 (PDT), penned
the following well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

|On Jul 25, 11:21?am, JR North wrote:
| The result of the failed right bank manifold, allowing sea water to run
| in the exhaust port into the cylinder. That's what seized the valve
| also. Only 2 cylinders show rust on the right bank, none on the left.
| JR
|

|That makes sense. *So what's the plan?

IMHO........................... Jasper......

Just one data point. *Had a Jasper rebuilt 350 develop a rod knock
with only about 25k miles on it.
I'd go with a factory crate. *IMHO.

--Vic

I'd pull the valves on the two cyclinders with the rust, clean them up
and lap in a new exhaust valve. Stick it back together and run it
until something else goes. It'll only cost a hundred or so for
gaskets and a valve. The engine had good compression so it could go
another 500 hours. The valve problem is from going too long with a
bad exhaust. Not an engine problem.

Besides which, they are wrong.
JR

JimH wrote:
On Jul 25, 4:01 pm, JR North wrote:

It's FWC, boys and girls. There is no way I would ever run salt water
through an engine- it's a dead end proposition.
JR

JR North wrote:

As The Wrench Turns...
Got the heads off; and posted some pics on the metalworking Dropbox
at:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/
See valve.jpg 3 pics
No damage to the cylinder wall or head, and just a couple minor dings
on the piston crown. Lucky me.
JR
HOME PAGE:
http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth

Home Page:http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth

Sorry about your problems with the boat. Glad to read that you got
things sorted out and have been given some solid advice. Ignore the
folks who were quick to jump on you for not fogging the engine when in
storage..............that same group constantly sees the glass as only
half full and are fast to find fault with the way folks live their
lives or maintain their boats.