Default Why MPH?

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 07:58:19 -0400, "Jim" wrote:

wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 07:11:31 -0400, Eisboch wrote:

wrote in message
news On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 22:52:01 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
On Jul 17, 10:54 am, HK wrote:
On Jul 17, 9:49 am, "Ulf B" wrote:
Hello all,

why are recreational boatspeed in the US measured in MPH when the
rest
of
the world including the US proffesional mariners uses knots???

Most Americans can't even learn English, so to expect them to learn
the metric system is more than a stretch.

I don't think there is anything metric about knots. Metric would be km.

-Robert

There *is* nothing about metric in "knots".

Eisboch

Unless you are a mathmetician or scientist...

Please explain. Last time I checked a "Knot" multiplied by 1.8
something, something, something equalled one kilometer per hour.

That's a knot ..... coverted to a metric unit.

What's the origin of a "knot"?

Eisboch

Apparently, knots and meters are tied together, somewhat. A nautical
mile is a minute of latitude. A meter is 1/10,000,000 of the distance
from the equator to the North Pole, and, obviously, a knot is a nautical
mile per hour. Thank you, wikipedia.

We all owe Hairless at least a half hearted apology.

Not at all.

The Knot is not (get it - Knot is not?) a metric measurement.

You cannot find the Knot listed as a base line definition of anything
in the metric system.

It is not a metric unit of measurement.

On Jul 17, 10:54 am, HK wrote:
On Jul 17, 9:49 am, "Ulf B" wrote:
[...]

We all owe Hairless at least a half hearted apology.- Hide quoted text -

No, because a knot can be "tied together somewhat with any
measurement. It is NOT part of the metric system. But Hairy will act
like it was his intent.
Jim Jim is offline

On Jul 17, 10:54 am, HK wrote:
On Jul 17, 9:49 am, "Ulf B" wrote:
[...]

He never stated that it was. According to Wikapedia the definition of a knot
has changed over time mainly due to the different standards of measure to
calculate same.
I'd give him credit for being half right even though he didn't know why.

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 12:28:51 -0700 (PDT), "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

I don't think there is anything metric about knots. Metric would be
km.

Knots would be a speed. km might be metric, but it isn't a speed. its
a distance. There is a difference.

Casady

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 22:52:01 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

I don't think there is anything metric about knots. Metric would be
km.

I've known a few European sailors. They measure wind speed in both
knots and meters/second depending on what wind instruments the boat
has. It turns out that knots are very closely approximated by
doubling meters/sec.

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 08:56:39 -0400, "Jim" wrote:

Apparently, knots and meters are tied together, somewhat.

Meters and yards are absolutely tied together, by law. Exactly
25.4mm/inch. Not to mention that the meter is not defined in terms of
the size of the earth, as originally. You did say somewhat, which is
true.

Casady