Default Why MPH?

Hello all,

why are recreational boatspeed in the US measured in MPH when the rest of
the world including the US proffesional mariners uses knots???

Just a thought

Ulf
Sweden

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 16:49:16 GMT, "Ulf B" wrote:

Hello all,

why are recreational boatspeed in the US measured in MPH when the rest of
the world including the US proffesional mariners uses knots???

Just a thought

Ulf
Sweden

The rest of the world is trying hard to catch up.

Ulf B wrote:
Hello all,

why are recreational boatspeed in the US measured in MPH when the rest of
the world including the US proffesional mariners uses knots???

Just a thought

Bubba's car doesn't read in knots.

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 16:49:16 GMT, "Ulf B" wrote:

Hello all,

why are recreational boatspeed in the US measured in MPH when the rest of
the world including the US proffesional mariners uses knots???

Just a thought

Unlike the rest of the world, we have a choice.

On Jul 17, 9:49*am, "Ulf B" wrote:
Hello all,

why are recreational boatspeed in the US measured in MPH when the rest of
the world including the US proffesional mariners uses knots???

In aviation we've gone back and forth. The real argument for MPH in
aviation is that its faster and looks better on marketing flyers. Not
sure if that is the reason in boating or if its just that most people
have no idea what a knot is.

-Robert

HK HK is offline

On Jul 17, 9:49 am, "Ulf B" wrote:
Hello all,

why are recreational boatspeed in the US measured in MPH when the rest of
the world including the US proffesional mariners uses knots???

Most Americans can't even learn English, so to expect them to learn the
metric system is more than a stretch.

On Jul 17, 1:54*pm, HK wrote:
On Jul 17, 9:49 am, "Ulf B" wrote:
Hello all,

why are recreational boatspeed in the US measured in MPH when the rest of
the world including the US proffesional mariners uses knots???

Most Americans can't even learn English, so to expect them to learn the
metric system is more than a stretch.

Most Americans are smart enough to understand that a knot has nothing
to do with the metric system, dumb ass.

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 17:34:30 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 16:49:16 GMT, "Ulf B" wrote:

Hello all,

why are recreational boatspeed in the US measured in MPH when the rest of
the world including the US proffesional mariners uses knots???

Just a thought

Unlike the rest of the world, we have a choice.

OK, that's a little better than mine. A little...

"HK" wrote in message

On Jul 17, 9:49 am, "Ulf B" wrote:
Hello all,

why are recreational boatspeed in the US measured in MPH when the rest
of
the world including the US proffesional mariners uses knots???

Most Americans can't even learn English, so to expect them to learn the
metric system is more than a stretch.

A "Knot" is metric?

Better check that.

Eisboch

HK HK is offline

Eisboch wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
On Jul 17, 9:49 am, "Ulf B" wrote:
Hello all,

why are recreational boatspeed in the US measured in MPH when the rest
of
the world including the US proffesional mariners uses knots???

Most Americans can't even learn English, so to expect them to learn the
metric system is more than a stretch.

A "Knot" is metric?

Better check that.

Eisboch

Really? Gee. :)

Actually, I don't use either. I use...G.P.H.

That's the most meaningful measurement to me, along with engine R.P.M.