BoatBanter.com

-   -   That's my boy... (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/96170-thats-my-boy.html)

Vic Smith July 16th 08 02:21 AM

That's my boy...

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 20:37:11 -0400, "D.Duck" wrote:

"DK" wrote in message
m...
D.Duck wrote:
"Vic Smith" wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 15:16:24 -0400, "D.Duck" wrote:

"Reginald P. Smithers III" "Reggie is Here wrote in
message
D.Duck wrote:
http://www.thetandd.com/articles/200...4512519627.txt
Not really up on the progression of MS, but isn't his "recovery"
nothing
short of miraculous?

Fantastic.....
John Francis had CP, and for him to progress to his level is nothing
short
of a miraculous show of personal strength and character.
This freakin' old age, I read it and by the time I got here to comment
I had
MS instead of CP in my feeble mind.

You just need a good brat.

--Vic

On that we can definitely agree. Oh how I long for the Bart Stop.

Or the Brat Stop!

What's wrong with a good Sheboygan "bart"? Damn it all to hell. This
getting old really sucks.

Hey, I didn't notice that either. Make that 2 barts.

--Vic

-rick- July 16th 08 02:47 AM

That's my boy...

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
http://www.thetandd.com/articles/200...4512519627.txt

cool!

Jim July 16th 08 02:56 AM

That's my boy...

"Larry" wrote in message
Short Wave Sportfishing wrote in
:

http://www.thetandd.com/articles/200...a97aae54512519
627.txt

Congratulations. Small world....same newspaper.

http://thetandd.com/articles/2005/11...8852350458.txt

He's gone now but this was the proudest day of my life. He was my dad.

http://thetandd.com/articles/2006/01...9531668428.txt

Sorry for your loss.
Who is that smiling handsome dude on the right?

JR North July 16th 08 03:25 AM

That's my boy...

Wow! right out of Forest Gump. Impressive.
JR
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 18:30:27 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

http://www.thetandd.com/articles/200...4512519627.txt

HOME PAGE:
http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth

[email protected] July 16th 08 04:09 AM

That's my boy...

On Jul 15, 6:55*pm, John H. wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 18:30:27 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:
http://www.thetandd.com/articles/200...aca97aae545125...

That is so cool!

Congrats on a good kid and on raising him to value that which is important.

Larry July 16th 08 04:26 AM

That's my boy...

"Jim" wrote in
:

http://thetandd.com/articles/2005/11...6ea38852350458

http://thetandd.com/articles/2006/01...6852b953166842
8.txt

Sorry for your loss.
Who is that smiling handsome dude on the right?

Behind Dad? The wharf rat in the ill-fitting suit with the damned
crooked tie? Das me! The guy in the cap is from the Purple Heart
Society, which is headquartered in Orangeburg, for SC. He was agast
when I called him to talk about Dad's case.... They pulled some quick
strings to get the award before he died. That story was on the front
page of the T&D. They interviewed him for a long time, fascinated at
his war stories I'd heard a thousand times before.

He didn't figure he was due the award because it was a defective tank
grenade that exploded right in front of him on the end of his M1 rifle
that blew him away! I'm very lucky to even be here! He was about to
fire the grenade when it suddenly exploded.

When he was 7 years old, he almost was killed when his father was killed
with a rich man he used to keep dogs for brought a brand new 1930 Dodge
sedan to their country farm to take them hunting. The new car's brakes
failed halfway down a long hill and the car careened off into a rock
wall by a creek covered with ice in upstate NY. Both men died
instantly. My father, shoved by the crash up under the front seats,
crawled with broken limbs to a farm house nearly a mile back up the road
in the freezing snow, where the horrified farmer's wife took him in and
call the police to check on the men left in the car. By all accounts he
should have also died in the crash. The dogs in the back seat of the
car all were also killed, the car completely destroyed.

My reason wasn't for the grandstanding that went on. Dad was bedridden
by then, so I got all dressed up and accepted the award for him from the
Army at the Veteran's Day Celebration at the Rose Gardens...then the
news guys and presenters followed us to Methodist Home to present it to
him in his room, there.

We were afraid to surprise him so he knew what was going to happen. He
nearly drove the home's nurses nuts waiting for the group to arrive...
(c; My father was a very simple man, a factory worker and farmer all
his life. He didn't feel he was entitled to the Heart at all. It took
a lot of talking by the Purple Heart recipients to convince him to let
them work to get his award.....60 years late....

At his funeral, the Army from the post in Columbia sent an honor guard,
a bugler that is very hard to find, two soldiers in sharp dress uniforms
to present me with his 1st Division flag and the US Flag. A Major read
a little speech as representative of the 1st Division, Big Red One
commander. What few of my family still alive that were present were
most impressed, as was I. It was a total surprise to us all. The major
told me he wished he had known about Dad's injuries in WW2 and he would
have been treated first class by the 1st Division. Very unfortunate all
those years. I buried him with his new medal on his chest...with all
his others from the war. He was so proud to serve, a simple private, a
nobody.

I still have a couple aunts and uncles, but I'm the only one left in my
immediate family. I'm next to go!

Eisboch July 16th 08 05:45 AM

That's my boy...

"Larry" wrote in message

I buried him with his new medal on his chest...with all
his others from the war. He was so proud to serve, a simple private, a
nobody.

Not a nobody. Another member of the greatest generation.

Eisboch

Wayne.B July 16th 08 06:38 AM

That's my boy...

wrote:

http://www.thetandd.com/articles/200...4512519627.txt

Great story, thanks. That is quite an accomplishment.

Jim July 16th 08 02:05 PM

That's my boy...

"Larry" wrote in message
"Jim" wrote in
:

"Larry" wrote in message
[...]

Great story Larry. Thanks for sharing it with us.

DK July 17th 08 01:11 AM

That's my boy...

D.Duck wrote:
"DK" wrote in message

D.Duck wrote:
http://www.thetandd.com/articles/200...4512519627.txt
Not really up on the progression of MS, but isn't his "recovery"
nothing
short of miraculous?

Fantastic.....
John Francis had CP, and for him to progress to his level is nothing
short
of a miraculous show of personal strength and character.
This freakin' old age, I read it and by the time I got here to comment
I had
MS instead of CP in my feeble mind.

You just need a good brat.

--Vic
On that we can definitely agree. Oh how I long for the Bart Stop.

Or the Brat Stop!

What's wrong with a good Sheboygan "bart"? Damn it all to hell. This
getting old really sucks.

It's worse than you think - it's Kenosha. HWY 50 exit IIRC.