Default Mercrusier IO 165hp coolant leak

I'm a semi-retired car mechanic that's been drafted by the boat owners from 8
small lakes in the Central New York area to fix their boats.

Most of my repairs are minor and people are usually thrilled that they don't
have to pull their boat out of the water and lose it for most of the season just
to have something like a starter replaced.

I looked at a Mercrusier IO 165hp (closed system) today that has a leak coming
from a small round hole near the bottom of the front cover. I'm guessing this is
a weep hole for the water pump that might be bad - or something else?.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Larry
www.rovatune.com

"Larry W" wrote in message
I'm a semi-retired car mechanic that's been drafted by the boat owners
from 8 small lakes in the Central New York area to fix their boats.

Most of my repairs are minor and people are usually thrilled that they
don't have to pull their boat out of the water and lose it for most of the
season just to have something like a starter replaced.

I looked at a Mercrusier IO 165hp (closed system) today that has a leak
coming from a small round hole near the bottom of the front cover. I'm
guessing this is a weep hole for the water pump that might be bad - or
something else?.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Larry
www.rovatune.com

If the hole is in the bottom of the front of the water pump then that means
the seal is going.

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 16:42:59 -0400, Larry W
wrote:

I'm a semi-retired car mechanic that's been drafted by the boat owners from 8
small lakes in the Central New York area to fix their boats.

Most of my repairs are minor and people are usually thrilled that they don't
have to pull their boat out of the water and lose it for most of the season just
to have something like a starter replaced.

I looked at a Mercrusier IO 165hp (closed system) today that has a leak coming
from a small round hole near the bottom of the front cover. I'm guessing this is
a weep hole for the water pump that might be bad - or something else?.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Larry
www.rovatune.com

Sounds like the circulation pump. Had to replace the one in the 5.7L I had.
Same symptoms.

Mercruiser 250 CID 165hp straight 6 problem alfred pettersen General 11 May 9th 14 06:06 PM
OT Low Coolant light came on today! FREDO General 17 January 9th 06 08:42 PM
New coolant makes boat run hotter? Tom \HappyFunBoater\ Treadway General 4 June 27th 05 03:16 AM
4770 coolant leak Randy Ross General 0 September 27th 04 05:52 PM
Antifreeze leak and boat leak Ree-Yees General 8 July 27th 04 12:18 AM