Wayne.B

Default back with a problem now

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 17:37:29 -0700, "Nancy"
wrote:
Quick update

Irritating!! Even after replacing the filter in the carborator the problem
is still there and acts exactly the same... Port engine runs great for the
first several hours, then it starts cutting out as if it's not getting
enough fuel. This time I know I had enough fuel in the tank, so I know it's
not related to that. Out of a 100 Gal tank, I added 20 gallons when the
problem started up, and it continued once we were back under-way. Fueled up
right away and it only took another 35 gallsns, so I'm sure it's not related
to the amount in the tank.

Have had a couple of people suggesting possibly the coil or other ignition
parts. I guess that may be the next thing to try, a complete tune-up and
see if that takes care of it.

Any other ideas?

===========================
I had a problem with my port side engine several years ago that was
somewhat similar. It turned out to be the coil which was flaking out
after running at speed for a while. Everything was OK up to about
1800 RPM but would not go higher until things cooled down. Other
possibilities in the same area are the ballast resistor, or maybe the
distributor cap as Chuck pointed out.

Bill Sheffield

Check for restricted coolant flow through the elbows.

Bill

Nancy

Well just a quick update here. Put the new coil on yesterday, put new
spark-plugs, wires, distributer cap and rotor (electronic ignition) on
today, and set the timing. We just got in from the sea trial and it ran
perfectly. The ocean is still kinda crappy, so we didn't go very far, a
couple of miles to the north and then ran back down. I pushed that engine
harder just to TRY to make it fail and it ran perfect.

Sooooo, I am hopeful that the problem is now solved and closed. Time will
tell for sure. After the wind and seas settle back down, will get it out for
a better trial.

Granted, the problem generally didn't occure real early into a trip, so
we'll just have to wait and see when things calm down offshore.

"Nancy" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks
Nancy

"Nancy" no-spam.ask.me.and.we.can.talk.com wrote in message
Hi all,

First I must apologize for my abrupt leaving a couple of weeks ago. I

was
under a lot of stressors in life, and just let too many things get to

me.

Now, onto the problem of my boat.

Boat is a 30' Sportcraft with twin 350 inboards.
Both engines start up and run perfectly with no problems. Have been out
salmon trolling all day (at idle speeds), come in and had no problems.

This
past weekend I went out on a long range tuna hunt. (got 24 albacore off

of
the Oregon coast, but that's another story. :-) ) Boat ran great going
out, trolled at 6-9kts all day. On the way back in however, after a

quick
refuel (carried 40 gal. of gas in cans), about 24 miles offshore, the

port
engine began cutting out and stalling. Ended up coming in on one leg
basically, with the port engine at idle speed only at best.

I figured the problem was some crap in the fuel filter, so changed that

out,
and a few days later went out and did a short 15-20 minute trial run to

test
it...problem seemingly solved, engine ran at full speed with no

problems.

Yesterday, I take some friends back out to the tuna grounds (only got 21
fish, but were not out as long either :-D ). Both engines run

perfectly,
troll a good portion of the day and running back in the port engine

begins
cutting out again. I found that I could shut it down, let it sit for a

few
minutes running on just the starboard engine, and then restart it and it
would run for a minute or two again then stall out again. It acts like

it's
running out of gas. No sputtering, no smoke, not hot, just cuts out.

Both engines run off the same gas tank, the tank is built into the

transom
and I've not visually inspected it yet (not sure I can get access to it

with
any ease at all). But if it were a problem with the gas, or the tank,

it
should be in both engines I would think. If it were a problem with the
engine only when it's warm, I would think running it for even 30-40

minutes
at speed would get it warm enough to present the problem. I took it out
today on the water and it ran perfectly for about 45 minutes. The ONLY
thing I've done is gas it up yesterday when we got back into port.

I have no real clue what to check next. It SEEMS to present when the

fuel
tank gets down to a certain level, but without running it all day, to

run
it
down again, I have no real way to check that again...

Any ideas or suggestions of what to look for next? Carborator? Fuel

Pump?

Thanks much for any suggestions anyone could offer up.

Nancy

Wayne.B

Default Problem solved

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 19:06:52 -0700, "Nancy"
wrote:
Thanks so much to all of you for your ideas and suggestions of things to
try. Just thought I'd post the final solution for anyone else who might run
into something similar in the future.

====================================

Glad to hear you found the problem and thanks for sharing the solution
and your trouble shooting process. I had a nasty problem with hard
starting on my starboard engine at the end of last season that turned
out to be an air leak at the secondary fuel filter. My mechanic
finally found it but it took him a while.

noah

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 19:06:52 -0700, "Nancy"
wrote:

I'm reposting the original post here as a reminder of what all I was having
happen. We finally found the cause of the problem after MUCH searching.

Things that've been done in order:
Replace fuel/water filter
Replace filter inside carborator
Replace the coil
Tune up the engine, (plugs, wires, distributer cap, rotor, set timing)
(change oil and filters)
Visually inspect the fuel pick-up tube. No holes, no corrosion, no leaks
when would blow into it.
Rebuild the Carborator (had about 1/2" of sludge inside it throughout)
After each of these things, the problem persisted. Each of them needed
doing (except perhaps the coil, but doesn't hurt to have an extra back up on
the boat anyway). We put the rebuilt carborator on this morning figuring
that would solve the problem, only to have it start back in with the exact
same symptoms as soon as we got underway.
So, we decided to check out the entire fuel system starting at the tank and
working forward. Swapped fuel lines on the engines so they were coming off
of the others pick-up tube. Ran out, and sure enough the problem moved to
the other engine. Pulled out the pick-up tube, and reinspected it, with no
visable deformities noted. Figured maybe to rule out a possible problem
inside the tank below the tube, we swapped the tubes and put the fuel lines
back on right...and again, the problem remained with the other engine. (the
engine that had always worked perfectly). Sooooo, we replaced the tube, and
the problem went away. After putting some leverage on the old tube, we
found that the "L" at the top of the tube seperated inside of the threads,
and that was where it was leaking air.

Soooo, after all of this, the problem was an air leak in the tube right
inside of the threads so you couldn't easily see it.

Thanks so much to all of you for your ideas and suggestions of things to
try. Just thought I'd post the final solution for anyone else who might run
into something similar in the future.

Much appreciated.

[...]

Thanks, Nancy. It's *always* good to know (learn).
noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats
www.TheBayGuide.com/rec.boats

Just How Safe Do You Feel? Doug Kanter General 34 July 13th 03 06:14 PM
Cobra Shift Problem Ed General 0 July 11th 03 07:04 PM
Help diagnosing engine problem. DrinkJack General 1 July 11th 03 04:06 AM
Weird problem with Ford 351 - MasterCraft ProStar 190 Calif Bill General 3 July 10th 03 08:31 AM
Problem starting Evinrude dmp General 9 June 30th 03 04:28 PM