Default How to Load a boat.

This is our 1st time "camping" for more than overnight in our boat.

I had planned on strapping the cooler (150quart) to the swim deck with food &
drinks -- and putting all the "gear" out of the way up in the cuddy.

Someone said it's better to put all the load towards the rear and leave the bow
light -- that seemed odd to me; but as a relative novice to power boating;
thought I'd ask for a concensus.

Thanks
-josh

The best way is to load the boat evenly... bow to stern, making sure that
you don't overload the boat. The capacity of the boat should be on a placard
visible from the helm. Too much weight fore or aft will give you serious
control problems at anything more than displacement speed. If you have an
I/O or outboard, you can make up for some weight problems by trimming the
drive.

Have fun. We'll be doing the same thing next week.

--Mike

"Josh Assing" wrote in message
This is our 1st time "camping" for more than overnight in our boat.

I had planned on strapping the cooler (150quart) to the swim deck with
food &
drinks -- and putting all the "gear" out of the way up in the cuddy.

Someone said it's better to put all the load towards the rear and leave
the bow
light -- that seemed odd to me; but as a relative novice to power boating;
thought I'd ask for a concensus.

Thanks
-josh

Thanks Mike - I think that's exactly what I was thinking -- evenly spread the
weight.

I do have an IO plus trim tabs -- so "issues' can be worked out.... but the
overall balance is what I was concerned about.

Glad I was thinking "correctly"

Cheers!

-josh

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 21:27:16 -0700, "Mike" wrote:

The best way is to load the boat evenly... bow to stern, making sure that
you don't overload the boat. The capacity of the boat should be on a placard
visible from the helm. Too much weight fore or aft will give you serious
control problems at anything more than displacement speed. If you have an
I/O or outboard, you can make up for some weight problems by trimming the
drive.

Have fun. We'll be doing the same thing next week.

--Mike

.. .

On Jul 8, 11:31*pm, Josh Assing wrote:
* * * * This is our 1st time "camping" for more than overnight in our boat.

I had planned on strapping the cooler (150quart) to the swim deck with food &
drinks -- and putting all the "gear" out of the way up in the cuddy.

Someone said it's better to put all the load towards the rear and leave the bow
light -- that seemed odd to me; but as a relative novice to power boating;
thought I'd ask for a concensus.

Thanks
-josh

Nah, it needs to be balanced.

Nah, it needs to be balanced.

That was my thoughts -- it just seemed "logical" but he said it with such
convection that I figured I should check around.

Thanks much to all -- the boat is all loaded; except for hte cooler & people...
Off to the sanjuans!

If anyone is up there this weekend -- "JudyG" is our boat on 16.