Default Loading up the boat -- swapping the prop...

Due to mis communication with da-wife; I have a mild assortment of props to
choose from.

Normaly I run a 19x14.5 prop (350 ci carb engine -- 22' cuddy) with no cargo &
2 people; this does "perfect".

with 4 people; I can't quite make WOT RPM
This weekend we're taking a trip to the San Juan Islands with 2 other people (4
total) and kris & I are camping on the boat (lots of cargo)

I have an 18x15 on it now and it did OK with 4 people this past weekend for
"Tall Ships Tacoma".

Before we take off -- I plan on swapping out the prop before the trip but want
to avoid a mid-trip swap if I choose poorly....

I have the following props to choose from:

19x14.5 3 blade (I know this will not be good)
18x15 3 blade (Good with 4 people, but unknown about lots of cargo)
18x14.5 4 blade
17x15.5 3 blade

I'm tempted to do the 4 blade and hope -- but I'm thinking with the added load
of lots of gear -- the 17 might be the best choice.

Any thoughts?

It really depends on what you plan to do while camping. Hauling the gear in
and out is only part of the trip right? I'd also venture to say that you
won't be doing any water sports while hauling in or out. If the 18x15 did
well with 4 people, and that's what you'll have aboard after you off-load
the gear, that's what I'd stick with.

--Mike

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 21:34:26 -0700, "Mike" wrote:

It really depends on what you plan to do while camping. Hauling the gear in
and out is only part of the trip right? I'd also venture to say that you
won't be doing any water sports while hauling in or out. If the 18x15 did
well with 4 people, and that's what you'll have aboard after you off-load
the gear, that's what I'd stick with.

Thanks Mike --

We won't be "unloading" any gear -- except 2 people -- they're staying in a
hotel -- so the gear stays aboard.

The "big money" will be going to the SJI and back -- not futzing about while
there.....

--Mike

"Josh Assing" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

. ..
[...]

An inch in pitch is usually about 200 rpm. So the question is how far from
wot max rpm were you with the previous props. If you were protty close then
dropping an inch may be enough. If you were still in the middle of the
range then dropping 2 inches will not be a big problem.

An inch in pitch is usually about 200 rpm. So the question is how far from
wot max rpm were you with the previous props. If you were protty close then
dropping an inch may be enough. If you were still in the middle of the
range then dropping 2 inches will not be a big problem.

Right --but with teh 18 pitch I'm just a bit under; as I understand it a 4 blade
is better for towing & heavy loads... wondering if switching to that is better
than going down to the 17...

Boat loading tips? Tony Jai General 5 May 17th 04 05:40 PM
Serious problem in Loading the boat back on Trailer R3ALLY NEWBIE General 6 September 6th 03 07:31 AM