Default Prop maintenance

I've seen in several sources that you should remove your prop when
setting up for winter. Why is that? Also I'm curious why you grease
the prop shaft.Is that to prevent rust?

-Robert
HK HK is offline

Robert M. Gary wrote:
I've seen in several sources that you should remove your prop when
setting up for winter. Why is that? Also I'm curious why you grease
the prop shaft.Is that to prevent rust?

-Robert

I've never removed a prop for the winter. I grease the prop shaft so the
prop and shaft don't corrode or rust to each other.

"Robert M. Gary" wrote
I've seen in several sources that you should remove
your prop when setting up for winter. Why is that?

To keep somebody from stealing it while you're parked?

HK HK is offline

Ernest Scribbler wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote
I've seen in several sources that you should remove
your prop when setting up for winter. Why is that?

To keep somebody from stealing it while you're parked?

Not everyone lives in or near Atlanta.

I leave my props on hoping that they are stolen, my insurance company
thinks there stainless, sprayed them before the survey.

HK wrote:

Ernest Scribbler wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote
I've seen in several sources that you should remove
your prop when setting up for winter. Why is that?

To keep somebody from stealing it while you're parked?

Not everyone lives in or near Atlanta.

Jim Jim is offline

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
I've seen in several sources that you should remove your prop when
setting up for winter. Why is that?

It's easier to grease the splines that way
Makes it easier to check the seals and remove any fish line that might have
wrapped around the shaft

Also I'm curious why you grease
the prop shaft.Is that to prevent rust?

Not really. The propshaft is stainless. Corrosion or oxidization is the
culprit. It only takes a little to bind the prop to the shaft.

-Robert

Jim Jim is offline

"bullschitter" wrote in message
I leave my props on hoping that they are stolen, my insurance company
thinks there stainless, sprayed them before the survey.

HK wrote:

Ernest Scribbler wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote
I've seen in several sources that you should remove
your prop when setting up for winter. Why is that?

To keep somebody from stealing it while you're parked?

Not everyone lives in or near Atlanta.

Don't listen to Krause. He doesn't know the difference between a prop and a
screwdriver.

HK HK is offline

Jim wrote:

"bullschitter" wrote in message
I leave my props on hoping that they are stolen, my insurance company
thinks there stainless, sprayed them before the survey.

HK wrote:

Ernest Scribbler wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote
I've seen in several sources that you should remove
your prop when setting up for winter. Why is that?

To keep somebody from stealing it while you're parked?

Not everyone lives in or near Atlanta.

Don't listen to Krause. He doesn't know the difference between a prop
and a screwdriver.

Don't listen to Jim of Florida. He's upset because he was drafted and I
wasn't.

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 11:40:32 -0700 (PDT), "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

I've seen in several sources that you should remove your prop when
setting up for winter. Why is that? Also I'm curious why you grease
the prop shaft.Is that to prevent rust?

Well, think it through.

You pull the prop for winter, you have to cover the prop shaft with
something - plastic bag, some tape and it's not terrible secure unless
you wrap the whole lower unit. Then in the Spring, remove the plastic
and tape, grease the prop shaft and reinstall the prop.

On the other than, you leave the prop on, cover the prop exhaust with
a wide piece of duct tape (or two pieces), then in the Spring, pull
the prop, grease the shaft and reinstall.

Which is easier?

I leave my prop on, use some heat shrink tape to cover the exhaust,
pull the prop in the Spring, grease and reinstall - takes five minutes
and I don't have to do more than that. Been doing that forever.

With respect to theft, if you store the boat at your house, then theft
isn't really a problem. If you store the boat elsewhere, the storage
facility will probably want the lower unit removed and stored
separately - that's what is going to be stolen because that's the most
vulnerable and the most sought after used part.

Remind me to tell you how I sold my 2000 FICHT sometime.

It was an amazing experience.

Motor maintenance Toller General 17 October 18th 07 01:19 AM
gearcase maintenance Michael General 4 April 9th 07 02:43 AM
Boat Maintenance Dr. Dr. John Smith General 4 March 21st 05 08:20 PM
Low maintenance head jimthom Boat Building 0 May 17th 04 08:32 AM
Catalina 25' Maintenance Help Bud Curtis Boat Building 6 April 17th 04 02:30 PM