Default Bass Pro's Megacast combos...

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 20:35:59 -0700, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

The Ugly sticks are mostly too heavy for the size. And not as much
sensitivity as a lot of rods.

I used to think you knew what you were talking about - now? Not so
much. :)

My heavy rod is a Penn Sabre and my light rods, except for Kokanee,
are Shimano and Fenwick.

See above.

My reels are Abu's, Avet SX and Shimano 251 for and smaller
sal****er fish.

I like the Avet reels, but for some reason I find them a little
awkward to use - it seems like the handles have too much leverage for
me - I have trouble controlling the rod. But they are great reels.

Don't care for Shimano reels - I've had a few of them over the years
and every one has either stripped a gear or blew through the drag
clutches on a heavy fish. I know others like them and I have no
reason to complain except my eperience with Shimano reels has not been
positive.

By Kokanee rods are Vance Tackle Roberts wraps and small Garcia left
hand reels.

I've never understood the mechanics of the Vance spiral wrap. I
understand the concept and it makes some sense, but the dynamics of E
glass rod blanks are all in how the guides worked with or against the
spine of the blank. It seems counterintuitive to work guides against
the weak sides of the glass.

Also, when you think about it, changing direction of the line in 90
degree segments doens't work with the strengths of the blank or
guides. I know other custom builders who have done this with heavier
rods, but it never seems to work out. The whole idea of the half
cast/half spinning rod seems silly - spinning rods have their
strengths and casting rods have theirs.

Then again, a lot of folks on the Left Coast like them, so they must
have something going for them.

The heavy rods in the San Diego area with the spiral wraps are know as ACID
WRAPS. Some guy when he saw the first one done by a custom builder stated
the guy must be on acid to wrap like that. I think it takes a lot of the
torque out of the rod. Does not want to twist in your hands with a lot of
flex. My Vance rods are very flexible as Kokanee have paper mouths, and
stiff rods cause you to lose a lot to enlarged hook holes.

wrote:

[...]

stiff rods cause you to lose a lot to enlarged hook holes.- Hide quoted text -

Bill, do you fish for Kokanee in the bay area? If so, where abouts?

wrote:

[...]

Melone's is probably the best lake. http://www.gloryholesports.com/
But lots of the lakes are stocked with them.
http://www.kokaneepower.org/ is one of the 2 big groups pushing kokanee.

Lake Pardee is also good for kokanee, trout, and bass. Is a non contact
lake, so just fishing.

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:47:20 -0700, Calif Bill wrote:

Lake Pardee is also good for kokanee, trout, and bass. Is a non contact
lake, so just fishing.

Curious, what's a non contact lake?

wrote:

[...]

lake, so just fishing.- Hide quoted text -

Cool, I'll have to look into it when I get out there next time. When's
the season?

wrote in message
t...
On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:47:20 -0700, Calif Bill wrote:

Lake Pardee is also good for kokanee, trout, and bass. Is a non contact
lake, so just fishing.

Curious, what's a non contact lake?

Water district lake, that does not allow swimming or wading. The deer, and
cows grazing and the birds can all swim and defecate in it. Odd thing is
the lake below it is used also for drinking water, and it allows contact and
skiing.

wrote:

[...]

Pardee is open from end for Feb. to end of October. The rest are open all
year. Problem is the fishing for Kokanee ends Sept. They school up to
spawn and get unfit to eat. And seems as if they are hard to catch
consistantly in Winter. Trout in lakes are open all year as are Bass
everywhere.

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 22:01:09 +0000, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

Here in New England, lakes can be placed in no-contact status if there
is a problem with algae, rock snot, weed reduction - stuff like that.

Rock snot, now there's a problem. It's already documented in the Upper
Delaware and Connecticut watersheds. From there ... I've read a little
about it. It seems one drop of water is enough to carry it to another
stream. Unfortunately, it seems fishermen might be the culprit, felt
soles and all.

Shrinkwrap Pro's and Con's...help John H. General 53 November 10th 07 10:17 PM
BOWRIDERS- Pro's and cons gilly General 30 September 22nd 07 10:05 PM
Bass Tracker 175 Eck General 0 February 2nd 06 10:31 PM
Bass on the Shenandoah Don White General 5 May 4th 05 01:15 AM
VIP pro's and con's Seriola Dumerili Boat Building 0 March 30th 05 08:52 AM