Default Gas prices, quesiton from a Wrecked boater....;)

On Tue, 27 May 2008 06:44:47 -0400, "Jim" wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 26 May 2008 20:46:22 -0500, (Geoff Miller) wrote:

Jim writes:

Carrying gas down to the docks gets old real fast.

Doesn't everybody who keeps a boat at a marina have one of these?:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/4zdgmf

If not, *why* not?

Not to mention the hazards involved.

How is pouring gas from a jerrycan any more hazardous than pouring
it from a gas pump hose? It's more awkward, granted (gas is heavy),
but that's a different matter entirely.

Plus, It's time consuming and you get to smell like raw gas when
you are done.

Feh. When I was racing (SCCA), I poured fuel from jugs like these
all the time:

http://www.atlanticjetsports.com/fue...&_carriers.htm

I don't remember ever spilling gasoline or getting any on my hands.

All this to save $2.50 per Jerry Jug full of gas. Is it worth it?

Depends on the individual: what sort of boat he has, whether he keeps
it in the water or on a trailer, and how much boating he does. It's
the sort of thing about which rasonable people can differ.

Geoff

Shoot. All my life I've use gas to clean my hands with, and now I'm
hearing
it's not a good thing to do.

Crap.
--
John *H*

Remember the little droplets of mercury we used to play with as kids. With
every hazardous material we have touched, its a marvel that our hands
haven't rotted and fallen off. ;-)

I think mercury affects your brain. Mine dropped off years ago.
--
John *H*
Senior Member

On May 27, 1:47*pm, John H. wrote:
On Tue, 27 May 2008 06:44:47 -0400, "Jim" wrote:

.. .

Jim writes:

[...]

John *H*- Hide quoted text -

Anybody remember the SBS tags in the eastern corridor on the toll
booths?

Just Wait a Frekin' Minute!?.... SBS 1969

Jim writes:

A hazzardous condition exists while transporting gasoline in
the trunk of the car.

So can we take it that you're terrified when you bring home gas
in a jug for your lawnmower, then? Do you wear one of those
shiny silver suits with the tinted window in the hood, like
airport crash crews wear, while you're behind the wheel?

Gee, all my racing friends and I never realized that we were
taking out very lives in our hands by transporting several jugs
of gasoline to the track at a time in our tow vehicles. Oh, the
humanity!

A hazzardous condition exists when pouring gasoline while standing
on a shaky finger pier.

But not while boarding or disembarking from a boat with other
items in you hands while standing on a shaky finger pier?

A hazzardous condition exists when trying to load gas cans over
the gunnel [sic] onto the deck which you just can't seem to reach.

But not when you're trying to load whatever other, usual stuff you
bring aboard over the gunwale onto the deck which you just can't
seem to reach?

Perhaps this is a "boat too far from the dock" problem and not a
"gasoline in jugs" problem, and it could easily be addressed by
simply *pulling the boat closer?* That always worked for me.

Maybe you do your boating in some Lovecraftian universe with
non-Euclidian geometry, where such a straightforward approach
wouldn't apply. "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh Wgah'nagl
fhtan!"

A hazzardous condition exists when the guy on the next boat is
enjoying a cigarette while watching you fuel up, or maybe he
decides to fire up the barbee.

Well then, *look around* and see if something like that is happening
before you begin, and pay attention to what's going on nearby while
you're fueling. Anyone who has such a weak sense of situational
awareness that he wouldn't notice such things has no business boating
to begin with, I'm confident you'd agree. Would *you* want to share
the waterways with such a person? Didn't think so.

You could even move the boat to the fuel dock or some other open area
if it would make you feel better. There's no cosmic law that says this
has to be done in your slip. In fact, I never even suggested that,
necessarily.

: How is pouring gas from a jerrycan any more hazardous than pouring
: it from a gas pump hose? It's more awkward, granted (gas is heavy),
: but that's a different matter entirely.

A handy little lever on the pump nozzle safely starts and stops the
flow of gasoline after the nozzle is inserted into the fill hose.

Hoses for fuel jugs with shutoff valves on them are both available
and effective. I've used them.

The nozzle is much easier to handle than a 35 pound gas can.

If you'd rather pay out the nose for gas from a fuel dock than heft
a few fuel jugs, it's certainly your call. Although I have to say
that if you can't life 35 pounds, this is a "physical fitness" problem
and not a "fuel jug" problem. Maybe your wife could help you. *grin*

The spouts on gas cans seem to want to leak at the most inappropriate
time.

Not on the jugs I've used while racing. But then, they weren't $5.00
specials from the neighborhood auto-parts emporium.

It is virtually impossible to withdraw a partially full gas can without
some spillage.

The horror! You mean you've never had a little bit of gasoline come
out your tank vents while filling from a nozzle?

Actually, you should know the capacity of your fuel tank, be able to see
how full it is from the gas gauge, and thereby easily be able to estimate
how much gas it'll take to fill it. As you approach that volume, start
lowering the jug to reduce the flow rate. This is a problem...why?

Have you ever tried filling a boat from these cans?

Not yet. Until now, gasoline wasn't so expensive that it ever occurred
to me. Then again, I've fuelled race cars with them, and I really don't
see that the fuel jug is going to know or care what kind of vehicle it's
being used to fuel, do you?

Why are the cans so expensive?

It's the cost of materials. It's apparent from the picture that they're
sturdy, with thick walls, and have a lot of plastic in them.

: Depends on the individual: what sort of boat he has, whether he keeps
: it in the water or on a trailer, and how much boating he does. It's
: the sort of thing about which rasonable people can differ.

Reasonable people certainly can have differences; but not on wrecked
boats ;-)

You haven't made much of a case that wrecked boats are a significant
possibility. Indeed, you're grasping at straws and are arguing just
to argue. If you were really as concerned about "hazardous conditions"
as you're pretneding to be, you'd be afraid to set foot outside your
house, much less go out on the water.

Geoff

--
"The problem isn't that Johnny can't read. The problem isn't
even that Johnny can't think. The problem is that Johnny
Jim Jim is offline

"Geoff Miller" wrote in message
et...
Have you ever tried filling a boat from these cans?

Not yet. Until now, gasoline wasn't so expensive that it ever occurred
to me. Then again, I've fuelled race cars with them, and I really don't
see that the fuel jug is going to know or care what kind of vehicle it's
being used to fuel, do you?

Geoff

Come back and tell us how it went. Up until now, you have no basis for an
informed opinion. And, oh yeah, you have some anger management issues.

"Jim" wrote in
:

"Geoff Miller" wrote in message
et...
Have you ever tried filling a boat from these cans?

Not yet. Until now, gasoline wasn't so expensive that it ever
occurred to me. Then again, I've fuelled race cars with them, and I
really don't see that the fuel jug is going to know or care what kind
of vehicle it's being used to fuel, do you?

Geoff

Come back and tell us how it went. Up until now, you have no basis for
an informed opinion. And, oh yeah, you have some anger management
issues.

Watching jetskiiers refuel several times on saturday from jugs, it's
amazing more haven't exploded in flames....(c;

Jim writes:

Come back and tell us how it went. Up until now, you have
no basis for an informed opinion.

Translation: I shot down each of your objections, but you're
too stubborn to concede defeat.

I have no basis for an informed opinion, eh? I said more than
once that I've used those jugs many times. The laws of physics
aren't any different just because one is fueling a boat as op-
posed to a race car.

And, oh yeah, you have some anger management issues.

You've got to be kidding; I had fun writing that, especially
the Lovecraft part. Maybe it's the inherent limitiations of
the printed word that prevented you from grasping that.

Alternatively, maybe it was just that you need to stop taking
yourelf so bloody seriously and "man up," as they say.

Geoff

Larry writes:

Watching jetskiiers refuel several times on saturday from jugs,
it's amazing more haven't exploded in flames....(c;

The fuel tanks on most, if not all, boats are farther from their
engines than the fuel tanks on jetskis are, simply by virtue o
the fact that most boats are bigger than jetskis if nothing else.

A few summers ago I rented a 40-foot houseboat on Lake Sonoma in
the wine country of Northern California. There'd been an incident
a year or two previously where a kid swimming near the dock had
been electrocuted by straw current, so the "solution" was to cut
off all electricity to the dock. As a result, the houseboat-
rental guys had to refuel their boats from jugs.

Geoff

Jim writes:

Come back and tell us how it went. Up until now, you have
no basis for an informed opinion.

Come back and tell us all about your boat fueling experiences after you've
done it a couple of times. Till then you're just blowing smoke.

Jim writes:

Come back and tell us how it went. Up until now, you have
no basis for an informed opinion.

Come back and tell us all about your boat fueling experiences after you've
done it a couple of times. Till then you're just blowing smoke.

Does anyone have any popcorn to share with me?