Default Finally, a boat launched in the DC area...

....of course, it wasn't in the Chesapeake, but beggars can't be choosy.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...iverPatrol.jpg

--
John *H*

On May 12, 7:35*pm, John H. wrote:
...of course, it wasn't in the Chesapeake, but beggars can't be choosy.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...iverPatrol.jpg

--
John *H*

She's a beaut! I actually built a two man hovercraft, belonged to a
local hovercraft club. I bought the plans from a guy in Illinois.
Universal Hovercraft. I believe the guy's name was Windt, or something
similar. Now he's building this hybrid thing that actually flies low
over the water! A lot of people don't understand the hovercraft, they
think it rides on the blown up skirt. The skirt is actually just a
gasket to keep the air under the craft, and in perfect trim, the skirt
actually is about a half inch above the water/ground. They work well
where the land to water transition isn't steep. I had a tilt flat bed
trailer, and loved to show up at a pond somewhere, start the lift
motor up, and the craft would just slide right off the trailer! I
built the UH-14p.

http://www.hovercraft.com/content/in...ain_page=index

On Tue, 13 May 2008 05:53:35 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On May 12, 7:35*pm, John H. wrote:
[...]

Very cool. That 18SPW looks fun, but it's probably not great for trolling!

We took a hovercraft from Calais to Dover and back a few years ago. Very
fast and very smooth. I've got a picture of it somewhere. If I can find it
I'll post it.

No, I didn't build it!
--
John *H*

On May 12, 7:35*pm, John H. wrote:
[...]

John *H*- Hide quoted text -

I want to build another sometime. It was a fun project. The last
project I got to do with my uncle, the aviation machinist. One thing
with those that will freak someone out, is that because theres not
much drag and it doesn't dig in, you can get ripping down the lake,
shove the stick all the way to one side and do fast donuts while going
40 or 50 mph!

On May 12, 7:35*pm, John H. wrote:
[...]

Sounds like fun!
--
John *H*

On May 12, 7:35*pm, John H. wrote:
[...]

40 or 50 mph!- Hide quoted text -

Always wanted to build one of those.. Hey, if you are still interested
I scanned in the plans for the 16-22 foot plywood work skiff..
DK DK is offline

wrote:
On May 12, 7:35 pm, John H. wrote:
[...]

Not a bad price, either - less than $3000. What else do you have to buy
to complete it?

On May 12, 7:35*pm, John H. wrote:
[...]

I scanned in the plans for the 16-22 foot plywood work skiff..- Hide quoted text -

I'm interested! When I get some free time, I'll give you a shout! I
may still have the rather archaic plans for the hovercraft I built.

On May 13, 8:20*pm, DK wrote:
wrote:
On May 12, 7:35 pm, John H. wrote:
[...]

to complete it?- Hide quoted text -

I didn't buy the kit, just the plans. I bought a couple of sheaves and
such off of him, the lift fan, and the prop, basically specialty items
like that. I built the ducts and things myself, bought my own motor,
etc. The steering mechanism was all home built. I bought the material
for the skirt from him, and sewed it on an old sewing machine. It was
a fun project, and fun to run!

YAY! Boat's finally launched! katy ASA 8 October 16th 06 04:47 PM
We finally launched the boat- Deux Freres-Magog. Donny General 2 July 13th 03 11:22 PM
We finally launched the boat- Deux Freres-Magog. Donny Boat Building 1 July 13th 03 04:29 AM
We finally launched the boat- Deux Freres-Magog. Donny Cruising 1 July 13th 03 04:29 AM
We finally launched the boat- Deux Freres-Magog. Donny Electronics 1 July 13th 03 04:29 AM