posted to alt.sailing

Default Marina

I may be buying a boat in the Maryland / DC / Virginia area, but I don't
have any idea how to find a marina in the area. I'm new to sailing, so
please don't assume any knowledge whatsoever.

How does one go about finding a suitable marina in the area?

I have some idea of my needs, and I'll have a better idea once I select a
boat, but I'm unable to find marinas that meet these requirements, much
less compare and contrast them or understand pricing structures.

Thanks,

--
Kenneth P. Turvey
posted to alt.sailing

Kenneth P. Turvey wrote:
I may be buying a boat in the Maryland / DC / Virginia area, but I don't
have any idea how to find a marina in the area. I'm new to sailing, so
please don't assume any knowledge whatsoever.

How does one go about finding a suitable marina in the area?

I have some idea of my needs, and I'll have a better idea once I select a
boat, but I'm unable to find marinas that meet these requirements, much
less compare and contrast them or understand pricing structures.

Thanks,

Each marina will have a different set of requirements on what you have
to provide before they will let you in. Typically current registration
and insurance coverage of a certain level are required by all.

Some things like a recent marine survey, if required, take time to
schedule and may require hauling out. I don't know of any insurance that
doesn't require a survey before they will insure a used boat. i.e. State
Farm Insurance will accept an in water survey, Boat US wants a haul out.
You could end up spending $800 in order to get a $60/year insurance
policy. A marine survey won't be required if it is a new boat but you
should have done prior to purchasing a used boat.

Some marinas have a wait list to join. Typically you pay a fee to be put
on the wait list and they will predict ~how long before you get a slip.

You will want to visit personally and talk with the people running the
marina. I would suggest you look at four or more marinas before you
decide on one. The range of personalities running marinas ranges from
people you wish you were related to, to nut jobs you can't stand. More
then any other criteria, go for a marina with simpatico people behind
the desks.

Some marinas have a wait list to join. Typically you pay a fee to be put
on the wait list and they will predict ~how long before you get a slip.

The whole process can be as short as a couple of days if you have all
your ducks in a row or take a couple of months if you don't.

Second behind marina management would be location. Absolutely,
positively, get into a marina you want to sail. If you want to sail in a
bay or ocean and you are 10 miles up a river or estuary, you are screwed
with a sailboat. You'll be spending 3-4 hours every time you take your
boat out listening to the drone of an outboard motor getting in and out.

Third would be location related, specifically how far you live from the
marina. Given equals for the first two criteria I would select the
shortest driving distance.

Forth would be their stay aboard policy. My current marina allows 2
nights a week and for me it's plenty. You are just going to have some
nights where you are too tired to drive home or want to get an early
start in the morning where overnight is important. They also allow live
aboard for something like an extra $300-400/month with a minimum boat
size of ~30'. To tell the truth, I would almost prefer it if they didn't
allow live aboards. Most of them keep a pristine boat and are great
people but I did have one neighbor who pitched a plastic tarp over his
boat for extra living space and his boat looked like the truck from the
Beverly Hillbillies. He was still a good neighbor but...

The other criteria are all important but lower priority for me. If you
got an in your face jerk running things, the best marina in the world
will be hell to be in. Things like gated entry, water, laundry
facilities, power, are all positives. Some of the things like phone
lines are less important since the advent of cell phones. My current
marina even has a picnic area with bar-b-que pits! I have never used
them but it is a nice touch.

Rick

Off to the marina Eisboch General 13 December 21st 07 02:11 PM
Marina Information on_the_water Electronics 20 February 20th 07 08:35 PM
Marina perspective [email protected] Cruising 16 June 21st 05 05:39 PM
A marina with no water [email protected] Cruising 9 May 9th 05 02:05 AM
trajedy in marina del rey Brien Alkire ASA 28 April 25th 05 08:01 AM