Default Time to give up on garmin?

On Apr 17, 1:20*pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:
"HK" wrote in message

. ..

Gene Kearns wrote:
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 21:18:39 -0700, Josh Assing penned the following
well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

|for years; I've been a garmin fan -- I've liked their UI and generally;
I've
|been really pleased with their products. I sitll have a working 12xl....
|
|2 years ago I bought, what I thought was, a nice system (Garmin 498
sounder) --
|however, I soon found out it was discontinued.
|
|I began to have problems with it. *So I hauled and replaced the
tranducer as
|that's what their tech support said it was... Same issues remained.
|
|I have been told "no more software updates for it" -- but they'll take
$175 from
|me to "look at it and fix it if they can"
|
|I thought I'd update to a non-discontinued model so I can get software
updates
|as they come out -- however, I need to use an external antenna. |I
wanted their G2 Vision cards --- but the jump from 498 cost to a 4xxxx
series
|is 3x the cost ($2000 for a cheap 4xxxx series) . *Apparently that's the
|cheapest unit that uses an external atenna according to their tech
support; the
|rest are internal antennas.
|
|Is it time to move on to something different? *I've been responsible for
close
|to $10,000 in garmin purchases and feel like they've always been
helpful; but
|now that it's just little old me, "thanks for your money send us more"
is their
|attitude.... |They won't say if the issues I'm having are 'fixable' -- *
so Im stuck with
|sending my unit for a month or more + 175 or putting that 175 towards
towards a
|new (non-garmin) unit.
|
|Anyone have any helpful thoughts?
|
|Thanks
|-josh

I presently have a Garmin 225 GPS. When it dies, it will NOT be
replaced by another Garmin unit. I'll probably go Raymarine, like
SWS...

Hmmm. I have an almost new Garmin 4000 series chart plotter that works
well for me. I "borrowed" a G2 Vision card for it, and decided it wasn't
worth the effort it takes to use it. Over the years, I've had a number of
Garmin products, starting with a Model 75 GPS many years ago. On the few
occasions I've had to interact with Garmin tech support, I found the
company's people to be competent.

I do own a bit of Garmin stock. Not much.

I thought you said you own no stock these days.- Hide quoted text -

And Harry's caught in yet ANOTHER lie............
Jim Jim is offline

wrote in message
On Apr 17, 1:20 pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:
"HK" wrote in message

. ..

Gene Kearns wrote:
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 21:18:39 -0700, Josh Assing penned the following
well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

|for years; I've been a garmin fan -- I've liked their UI and
generally;
I've
|been really pleased with their products. I sitll have a working
12xl...

|2 years ago I bought, what I thought was, a nice system (Garmin 498
sounder) --
|however, I soon found out it was discontinued.
|
|I began to have problems with it. So I hauled and replaced the
tranducer as
|that's what their tech support said it was... Same issues remained.
|
|I have been told "no more software updates for it" -- but they'll take
$175 from
|me to "look at it and fix it if they can"
|
|I thought I'd update to a non-discontinued model so I can get software
updates
|as they come out -- however, I need to use an external antenna. |I
wanted their G2 Vision cards --- but the jump from 498 cost to a 4xxxx
series
|is 3x the cost ($2000 for a cheap 4xxxx series) . Apparently that's
the
|cheapest unit that uses an external atenna according to their tech
support; the
|rest are internal antennas.
|
|Is it time to move on to something different? I've been responsible
for
close
|to $10,000 in garmin purchases and feel like they've always been
helpful; but
|now that it's just little old me, "thanks for your money send us more"
is their
|attitude.... |They won't say if the issues I'm having are 'fixable' --
so Im stuck with
|sending my unit for a month or more + 175 or putting that 175 towards
towards a
|new (non-garmin) unit.
|
|Anyone have any helpful thoughts?
|
|Thanks
|-josh

I presently have a Garmin 225 GPS. When it dies, it will NOT be
replaced by another Garmin unit. I'll probably go Raymarine, like
SWS...

Hmmm. I have an almost new Garmin 4000 series chart plotter that works
well for me. I "borrowed" a G2 Vision card for it, and decided it wasn't
worth the effort it takes to use it. Over the years, I've had a number
of
Garmin products, starting with a Model 75 GPS many years ago. On the few
occasions I've had to interact with Garmin tech support, I found the
company's people to be competent.

I do own a bit of Garmin stock. Not much.

I thought you said you own no stock these days.- Hide quoted text -

And Harry's caught in yet ANOTHER lie............

This isn't news anymore. Let us know when you catch him telling the truth.
That would be news.

"HK" wrote in message

Gene Kearns wrote:
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 21:18:39 -0700, Josh Assing penned the following
well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

|for years; I've been a garmin fan -- I've liked their UI and
generally;
I've
|been really pleased with their products. I sitll have a working
12xl...

|2 years ago I bought, what I thought was, a nice system (Garmin 498
sounder) --
|however, I soon found out it was discontinued.
|
|I began to have problems with it. So I hauled and replaced the
tranducer as
|that's what their tech support said it was... Same issues remained.
|
|I have been told "no more software updates for it" -- but they'll take
$175 from
|me to "look at it and fix it if they can"
|
|I thought I'd update to a non-discontinued model so I can get software
updates
|as they come out -- however, I need to use an external antenna. |I
wanted their G2 Vision cards --- but the jump from 498 cost to a 4xxxx
series
|is 3x the cost ($2000 for a cheap 4xxxx series) . Apparently that's
the
|cheapest unit that uses an external atenna according to their tech
support; the
|rest are internal antennas.
|
|Is it time to move on to something different? I've been responsible
for
close
|to $10,000 in garmin purchases and feel like they've always been
helpful; but
|now that it's just little old me, "thanks for your money send us more"
is their
|attitude.... |They won't say if the issues I'm having are 'fixable' --
so Im stuck with
|sending my unit for a month or more + 175 or putting that 175 towards
towards a
|new (non-garmin) unit.
|
|Anyone have any helpful thoughts?
|
|Thanks
|-josh

I presently have a Garmin 225 GPS. When it dies, it will NOT be
replaced by another Garmin unit. I'll probably go Raymarine, like
SWS...

Hmmm. I have an almost new Garmin 4000 series chart plotter that works
well for me. I "borrowed" a G2 Vision card for it, and decided it wasn't
worth the effort it takes to use it. Over the years, I've had a number
of
Garmin products, starting with a Model 75 GPS many years ago. On the few
occasions I've had to interact with Garmin tech support, I found the
company's people to be competent.

I do own a bit of Garmin stock. Not much.

I thought you said you own no stock these days.- Hide quoted text -

And Harry's caught in yet ANOTHER lie............

This isn't news anymore. Let us know when you catch him telling the truth.
That would be news.- Hide quoted text -

That'll be a long time coming!

Thanks -- I'll check it out -- I want an external antenna -- but I'm sure they
have something that will work.

This last (G498) was the 1st unit from garmin I purchased in about 8 years... I
recall emailing their tech support about a problem on a unit that was out of
warranty "yes; we've had sporatic reports -- if it's an internal problem, we'll
prelace it" -- less than 10 days later I had a new gps and an apology for the
problem...

They've definately changed.

-josh

wrote:

Anyone have any helpful thoughts?

I've been saying this about Garmin for years - their attitude changed
when they started to takeup market share and apparently it's gotten
even worse.

I switched to Raymarine years ago and haven't looked back since. Their
new A-65 is a great unit and the RayChart 435 has an internal antenna.

Good luck.

wrote in message
On Apr 17, 2:14 pm, "Jim" wrote:
wrote in message

That'll be a long time coming!

You've got some nerve complaining about others lies.

news

wrote:

Anyone have any helpful thoughts?

I've been saying this about Garmin for years - their attitude changed
when they started to takeup market share and apparently it's gotten
even worse.

I switched to Raymarine years ago and haven't looked back since. Their
new A-65 is a great unit and the RayChart 435 has an internal antenna.

Good luck.

Why an external antenna? My internal has no problem getting lock while
mounted to the dash.

Why an external antenna? My internal has no problem getting lock while
mounted to the dash.

My (stolen) 300 series with internal antenna kept loosing locks and had ****
poor accuracy; unless I moved it away from the window frame....

"Josh Assing" wrote in message

Why an external antenna? My internal has no problem getting lock while
mounted to the dash.

My (stolen) 300 series with internal antenna kept loosing locks and had
****
poor accuracy; unless I moved it away from the window frame....

Borrow someones newer model and see if it has a problem.

Borrow someones newer model and see if it has a problem.

I just heard back from (yet another) garmin tech that says the 540s, while
having an internal antenna, has the bnc connector to use an external as well...

I think I'll hve to go to a store tho and hold it in my hand to be sure..

wrote:

[...]

Dump their slimy asses. If they don't stand up for their products in
the proper way, don't give them a dime.

Casady

Garmin GPS Eisboch General 5 June 8th 07 09:31 PM
Garmin GPS II G S General 5 November 11th 04 10:16 PM
WTB Garmin GPS Chuck Baier Electronics 4 October 7th 04 07:17 PM
garmin 152 gps david c. General 3 February 18th 04 12:18 AM
FS: Garmin GPS in NY Bobsprit Marketplace 0 February 16th 04 10:32 AM