david c.

Default garmin 152 gps

can anyone tell me if a garmin 152 gps, bought from the good ol'
U.S.of A is the same as one from the U.K? Does it work in the same way
or do I have to have a U.K. version? The reason I ask is that I can
buy from America a lot cheaper than I can in Rip-off Britain!
David C.
Don White

Don't forget Canada. Sometimes electronics are actually cheaper here than
the US.
Probably something to do with supply & demand. As a rule we don't have as
much disposable income due to taxes etc so
some companies sell cheaper.
see http://ca.binnacle.com/online/produc...&pf%5Fid=28182
take that $500.00 CDN and convert to Brit funny money. Should be about 200
pounds sterling.

david c. wrote in message
om...
can anyone tell me if a garmin 152 gps, bought from the good ol'
U.S.of A is the same as one from the U.K? Does it work in the same way
or do I have to have a U.K. version? The reason I ask is that I can
buy from America a lot cheaper than I can in Rip-off Britain!
David C.

Andy K.

"The GPS 152 is a 12 parallel channel GPS receiver loaded with a database of
American cities and nautical navigation aids such as lights, buoys, sound
signals, day beacons and tide data."

The sentence above was cut and pasted from the Garmin web site. I would be
concerned about what information you receive if you purchase a unit from the
states. Where I work, we use nothing but Garmins, handhelds and fixed-mount.
Unless we are using a chart chip, we turn all the database crap off. In
other words, if we are going to go somewhere we will plot a course and enter
waypoints of our own.

Don't ever trust a chart chip either as they also have errors. Ever wonder
why you have to acknowledge a disclaimer on the newer GPS unit when they
power up?

Andy K.

om...