Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Mom finally settled

It's taken 15 months but we finally have mom settled in the nicest nursing
home in the Halifax area. (physical structure anyway)

She started off in a local hospital back in Jan 2007, moved to a
'transistional care unit' for about six months until the first bed became
available in a rural town about 45 miles from here. I knew winter was coming
so by October I added the largest facility here to her preferred list as a
temp spot. She moved there mid October and last week we finally got the
word that a room in her 'first choice' facility came open.
Nice bright spot.. 6 year old building, everyone gets a private room with
bath, phone and cable tv.
Her wing was dominated by the Sisters of Charity... but as they thin out,
lay residents now make up almost half of the 24 spots in her wing. Another
nearby wing holds a group of Sisters in 'assisted living'. What a beautiful
spot...all dark woods with a library & small chapel
I joke about getting in there myself when the Sisters leave for their oun
facility in a couple of years.
Interesting group these Sisters. A lot of them came from the Boston area...
recruited and shipped north to the main training facility on a large chunk
of land overlooking Bedford Basin and the narrows bridge.
They have a hugh 'Mother House' residence there and what was once a Catholic
womans university ...now open to the general public.
At one time the sisters taught in most of the catholic elementary/jr high
schools here. http://www.schalifax.ca/sub/06roots/04atour.html
Anyway they were quick to pop in and invite mom to their daily 11 am mass on
the 3rd floor
Hopefuly this will be it.

Now...just as we get mom settled, my wifes' mother is starting the same long
process...exactly one year behind my mom. She even spent time in the same
hospital room/bed for a bit.

Settled science? HA!! Short Wave Sportfishing General 104 December 21st 07 07:10 PM
Finally! KLC Lewis Cruising 8 April 23rd 07 07:27 PM
I finally did it! Bart Senior ASA 1 August 18th 04 04:11 PM
Finally ...Its done Zinagon Power Boat Racing 1 February 3rd 04 03:55 AM
FINALLY! Scott Vernon ASA 13 September 11th 03 08:19 PM