HK HK is offline

Default Baja Boats Kaput?

Brunswick Corp. (BC) signed a letter of intent to sell certain assets of
its Baja Marine business to Fountain Powerboat Industries Inc. (FPB).
Financial terms weren't disclosed.
The Lake Forest, Ill., recreation products maker will end production of
Baja boats in Bucyrus, Ohio, by the end of May, consistent with the end
of the 2008 model year.
The company said closing of the Baja plant will result in the
elimination of about 285 jobs.
As a result, Brunswick estimates pretax asset write-downs, along with
severance and other costs, to total between $10 million to $15 million.

"HK" wrote in message
. ..

Brunswick Corp. (BC) signed a letter of intent to sell certain assets of
its Baja Marine business to Fountain Powerboat Industries Inc. (FPB).
Financial terms weren't disclosed.
The Lake Forest, Ill., recreation products maker will end production of
Baja boats in Bucyrus, Ohio, by the end of May, consistent with the end of
the 2008 model year.
The company said closing of the Baja plant will result in the elimination
of about 285 jobs.
As a result, Brunswick estimates pretax asset write-downs, along with
severance and other costs, to total between $10 million to $15 million.

Your post prompted a question in my mind as to the number of US boat
manufacturers.
This link has a list of many .... both past and present .... but does not
include all.

http://www.iboats.com/b/

I didn't count them all, but I estimated close to 3,000 listed just at this
source.

I wonder how that compares to the automotive industry and the number of
different car manufacturers.

Eisboch

Tim Tim is offline

On Apr 8, 3:37*pm, "Eisboch" wrote:
"HK" wrote in message

. ..

[...]

Richard, before ww2 there were about 10,000 registered auto
manufacturers in the US. Some of them only made one car

Even Briggs & Stratton, made a buckboard type motorized wagon.

"Tim" wrote in message

On Apr 8, 3:37 pm, "Eisboch" wrote:

I didn't count them all, but I estimated close to 3,000 listed just at
this
source.

I wonder how that compares to the automotive industry and the number of
different car manufacturers.

Eisboch

Richard, before ww2 there were about 10,000 registered auto
manufacturers in the US. Some of them only made one car

Even Briggs & Stratton, made a buckboard type motorized wagon.

-------------------------------

That's an amazing statistic.

Eisboch

Tim Tim is offline

On Apr 8, 4:19*pm, "Eisboch" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

On Apr 8, 3:37 pm, "Eisboch" wrote:

I didn't count them all, but I estimated close to 3,000 listed just at
this
source.

I wonder how that compares to the automotive industry and the number of
different car manufacturers.

Eisboch

Richard, before ww2 there were about 10,000 registered auto
manufacturers in the US. Some of them only made one car

Even Briggs & Stratton, made a buckboard type motorized wagon.

-------------------------------

That's an amazing statistic.

Eisboch

I used to have a book I bought int heearly '70's that was the
"American Automobile Encyclopedia" Dang, I loaned it out to a friend
and in a couple months it was cooked in his house fire. I've never
seen another like it. It was an amazing book with lots of pics and
stats in it.

RLM RLM is offline

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 18:08:21 -0700, Tim wrote:

On Apr 8, 4:19*pm, "Eisboch" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

On Apr 8, 3:37 pm, "Eisboch" wrote:

[...]

I also have that book (wife reassures me it's still here anyhow). The
photos are of the finest quality for the time on clay paper like many
magazines. You are correct, as it has one of the most complete historic
accounting of automobiles in America up to the time of the Mussel cars.

I met a fellow that was working on a reproduction of a curved dash
Oldsmobile in St.Pete years ago. He had never seen the medallion on the
side of one. I took the book to him so he could copy the life size
medallion to have one made for the reproduction that was powered with I
believe a Briggs engine at the time. I believe he was doing upholstery and
top work on it at the time. Not sure if he was the owner.

He owned a business that had large metric bolts that couldn't be found any
place locally and saved my ass on the job I was finishing up. Saved a
local company air freight charges for four large bolts. I think the bolts
were around 22mm in dia. that's not the hex head size either.

This may well be the car here with the red and gold medallions on each
side. It's located in the right part of the state if you are familiar with
the history of Oldsmar, Florida.

Thanks for the memory!

Watch wrap.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu... Den%26sa%3DG

On Apr 8, 9:08*pm, Tim wrote:
On Apr 8, 4:19*pm, "Eisboch" wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message

On Apr 8, 3:37 pm, "Eisboch" wrote:

I didn't count them all, but I estimated close to 3,000 listed just at
this
source.

I wonder how that compares to the automotive industry and the number of
different car manufacturers.

Eisboch

Richard, before ww2 there were about 10,000 registered auto
manufacturers in the US. Some of them only made one car

Even Briggs & Stratton, made a buckboard type motorized wagon.

-------------------------------

That's an amazing statistic.

Eisboch

I used to have a book I bought int heearly '70's that was the
"American Automobile Encyclopedia" *Dang, I loaned it out to a friend
and in a couple months it was cooked in his house fire. *I've never
seen another like it. It was an amazing book with lots of pics and
stats in it.- Hide quoted text -

My father was a Ford man, and growing up in a family of gearheads, I
was one, too. When I was in grade school every library day I studied
about Henry Ford. The more I learned the more my fascination made me
read more about him. A true visionary and one who had some eclectic
ideas that were ahead of his time. Did you know that he invented
charcoal briquettes? His seats had oak frames and he didn't like
having waste, so he came up with the process around 1920. BBQ grill
and Ford charcoal was available at Ford dealerships!

http://www.grillershallofflame.com/i...coal_grill.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/3ntljy

Tim Tim is offline

On Apr 8, 2:46*pm, HK wrote:
Brunswick Corp. (BC) signed a letter of intent to sell certain assets of
its Baja Marine business to Fountain Powerboat Industries Inc. (FPB).
Financial terms weren't disclosed.
The Lake Forest, Ill., recreation products maker will end production of
Baja boats in Bucyrus, Ohio, by the end of May, consistent with the end
of the 2008 model year.
The company said closing of the Baja plant will result in the
elimination of about 285 jobs.
As a result, Brunswick estimates pretax asset write-downs, along with
severance and other costs, to total between $10 million to $15 million.

maybe not totally out harry, it';s possible that Brunswick feels they
have enough and thought that sales were down far enough to not justify
having Baja around. Fountain might pump them up into something
different than what they were.

Look at Marquis. They used to make runabouts and cuddies, now they
don't make anything small.

285 jobs eliminated? If Reggie F. decides to open up a new maket for
Baja, it will add back into the workfors at least a percentage.

I don't really know, but Baja being bought out might not be a bad
deal.

Tim Tim is offline

On Apr 8, 2:46*pm, HK wrote:

The company said closing of the Baja plant will result in the
elimination of about 285 jobs.
As a result, Brunswick estimates pretax asset write-downs, along with
severance and other costs, to total between $10 million to $15 million.

Well, at least they employees are getting a severance. I may be wrong,
but If I rememebr correctly when Mariah in W. Frankfurt IL closed its
doors, I think the employees got a final paycheck and that was it.

HK HK is offline

Tim wrote:
On Apr 8, 2:46 pm, HK wrote:

The company said closing of the Baja plant will result in the
elimination of about 285 jobs.
As a result, Brunswick estimates pretax asset write-downs, along with
severance and other costs, to total between $10 million to $15 million.

Well, at least they employees are getting a severance. I may be wrong,
but If I rememebr correctly when Mariah in W. Frankfurt IL closed its
doors, I think the employees got a final paycheck and that was it.

I feel for American workers who gave their all for the corporation and
in the end got screwed by it in losing their jobs, or their health care,
or their pensions.

To me, a shareholders' equity in a corporation is worth only a small
time fraction of a longtime worker's "sweat equity." Capital is not
worth more than labor. Capital is only money; labor is life.

Albin Marine kaput HK General 4 November 9th 07 05:08 PM
Baja Joe ASA 8 January 27th 07 02:20 AM
What to take to Baja for freebeez? Richard J Kinch Cruising 1 April 22nd 06 09:23 AM
What not to do in Baja Jonathan Ganz ASA 3 February 11th 06 11:10 PM