HK HK is offline

Default Mercs Made in China

Just saw an interview with Pat Mackey, president of Mercury Marine, in
which he mentioned that *all* 30-40-50 hp outboards sold in the USA were
totally manufactured in...China.

Boattest.com

On Mar 26, 12:13*pm, HK wrote:
Just saw an interview with Pat Mackey, president of Mercury Marine, in
which he mentioned that *all* 30-40-50 hp outboards sold in the USA were
totally manufactured in...China.

Boattest.com

I can't figure out why everybody is so freaked out about things being
made in China. After all, the U.S. government is borrowing money from
them at a staggering rate to pay for the Iraq folly

If all trade with China was to stop this moment, our economy would
collapse with a loud thud, be careful what you wish for.
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

Though it may be a contributing factor, I wouldn't say it's totally
due to the Iraqi folly. Perot had it right about the "huge sucking
sound" thought on constant outsourcing.

If all trade with China was to stop this moment, our economy would
collapse with a loud thud, be careful what you wish for.

No kidding.

Being in the auto/electric industy I'm finding it more difficult to
find and purchase American-made components, regardless of price.
They're just not there. Even OE aftermarket is outsourced to
somewhere. Look at a NEW "American Made" Detroit automobile or truck
and you'll see how much "US" stuff isn't on it. That is even if the
auto was built in the "US" at all!

sad situation, but that's life.

Unfortunately.
HK HK is offline

Tim wrote:

wrote:

Though it may be a contributing factor, I wouldn't say it's totally
due to the Iraqi folly. Perot had it right about the "huge sucking
sound" thought on constant outsourcing.

If all trade with China was to stop this moment, our economy would
collapse with a loud thud, be careful what you wish for.

No kidding.

Being in the auto/electric industy I'm finding it more difficult to
find and purchase American-made components, regardless of price.
They're just not there. Even OE aftermarket is outsourced to
somewhere. Look at a NEW "American Made" Detroit automobile or truck
and you'll see how much "US" stuff isn't on it. That is even if the
auto was built in the "US" at all!

sad situation, but that's life.

Unfortunately.

It's not as if "nothing" can be done about it. We at least try in this
household to not buy manufactured goods from the PRC.

It's absurd to be buying and selling everything under the sun to
communist China and for it to be illegal to have trade with or visit Cuba.
Tim Tim is offline

HK wrote:
Tim wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I aggree with you Harry. But in my circumstances I have very little if
any control over the situation.

HK HK is offline

Tim wrote:

HK wrote:
Tim wrote:
wrote:

[...]

You have some. If you need a toaster, buy the one not made in China.

On Mar 26, 3:11*pm, HK wrote:
Tim wrote:

wrote:

[...]

communist China and for it to be illegal to have trade with or visit Cuba.- Hide quoted text -

I agree. If we want a global economy, so be it. But to say well, we'll
trade with so-and-so but not those-and-those IS absurd, especially
when some of them are logistically close and we could have a free
trade that would be beneficial for everyone involved.

"HK" wrote in message

It's not as if "nothing" can be done about it. We at least try in this
household to not buy manufactured goods from the PRC.

It's absurd to be buying and selling everything under the sun to communist
China and for it to be illegal to have trade with or visit Cuba.

Being "communist" has nothing to do with it.

China, starting back in the Nixon administration, signaled that it wanted to
negotiate trade to become part of a global economy. More modern, progressive
leadership led to this. Although not as far along as some would like, the
leadership in China has made concessions and efforts to negotiate issues of
differences and has allowed much more individual opportunity and freedom to
citizens compared to what existed even 20 years ago. It's a slow process,
but progress is being made.

Cuba, under Castro, has not. He has vehemently remained anti-USA, anti-west
and has not indicated any willingness to negotiate differences. Things may
change when both he and his brother are out of the picture.

Eisboch

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:10:10 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

Cuba, under Castro, has not. He has vehemently remained anti-USA, anti-west
and has not indicated any willingness to negotiate differences. Things may
change when both he and his brother are out of the picture.

The cigars - think of the cigars!!