Default Florida Keys Dinghy Operation

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 13:36:49 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
.. .
There has been a lot of discussion about the proper way of operating a
dinghy in the Florida Keys, some of which has been well intentioned
but somewhat misinformed. There is really only one proper technique
in the Keys, and those who have actually cruised there will recognize
it immediately. A picture is worth a thousand words:

http://img178.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ytechniev2.jpg

or

http://tinyurl.com/2pujel

Whew... don't hit anything or you'll do a flip in front of the dink, then
get chewed by the prop.

Yes, the "quick stop" manuever could be hazardous. Of course the
rationale for standing up is that you can see what's ahead. The water
in most of the Keys is crystal clear and obstructions are easily
spotted if you have a little altitude.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:49:48 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

There has been a lot of discussion about the proper way of operating a
dinghy in the Florida Keys, some of which has been well intentioned
but somewhat misinformed. There is really only one proper technique
in the Keys, and those who have actually cruised there will recognize
it immediately. A picture is worth a thousand words:

http://img178.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ytechniev2.jpg

or

http://tinyurl.com/2pujel

That's not unigue to the Keys. When I was growing up, that's the way
we used to run around Marblehead Harbor - we never sat down. :)

Then again, we were young and stupid, although I see a lot of yard
skiffs operated in this manner.

Wayne.B wrote:
There has been a lot of discussion about the proper way of operating a
dinghy in the Florida Keys, some of which has been well intentioned
but somewhat misinformed. There is really only one proper technique
in the Keys, and those who have actually cruised there will recognize
it immediately. A picture is worth a thousand words:

http://img178.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ytechniev2.jpg

Anyone have a problem with this? Water is calm, so what. **** people
gotta have fun, if he does something stupid while in this position so
what. Be young, play, you'll live longer.

Cheers
Marty
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
Senior Member

On Mar 25, 8:23*pm, Marty wrote:
Wayne.B wrote:
There has been a lot of discussion about the proper way of operating a
dinghy in the Florida Keys, some of which has been well intentioned
but somewhat misinformed. *There is really only one proper technique
in the Keys, and those who have actually cruised there will recognize
it immediately. *A picture is worth a thousand words:

http://img178.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ytechniev2.jpg

Anyone have a problem with this?

No life jacket? no kill switch clipped to pilot? He can afford a
zodiak, he can afford a jacket and kill cable. If he had those, I
would have no problem at all, especially with no one else on board.
Looks fun. In fact with jackets and a proper eye on safety, and with
my kids permission, I would do it with them in the boat...

*Water is calm, so what. ***** people
gotta have fun, if he does something stupid while in this position so
what. *Be young, play, you'll live longer.

I play with horses when I can, ride dirt bike, and have been known to
paddle in the dead of winter in Connecticut, I live young, lot's of
others here do too. We just live young, with an old man's eye on the
little stuff that makes all the difference between play, and someone
getting an eye poked out

Cheers
Marty

wrote:
On Mar 25, 8:23 pm, Marty wrote:
Wayne.B wrote:
There has been a lot of discussion about the proper way of operating a
dinghy in the Florida Keys, some of which has been well intentioned
but somewhat misinformed. There is really only one proper technique
in the Keys, and those who have actually cruised there will recognize
it immediately. A picture is worth a thousand words:
http://img178.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ytechniev2.jpg
Anyone have a problem with this?

No life jacket? no kill switch clipped to pilot? He can afford a
zodiak, he can afford a jacket and kill cable.

Ok, I'll give you the kill cable, if he falls of we don't want some
other poor ******* chopped up, but the life jacket; well he looks all
growed up to me, he can make that decision for himself.

Cheers
Marty

On Mar 25, 9:03*pm, Marty wrote:
wrote:
On Mar 25, 8:23 pm, Marty wrote:
Wayne.B wrote:
There has been a lot of discussion about the proper way of operating a
dinghy in the Florida Keys, some of which has been well intentioned
but somewhat misinformed. *There is really only one proper technique
in the Keys, and those who have actually cruised there will recognize
it immediately. *A picture is worth a thousand words:
http://img178.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ytechniev2.jpg
Anyone have a problem with this?

No life jacket? no kill switch clipped to pilot? He can afford a
zodiak, he can afford a jacket and kill cable.

Ok, I'll give you the kill cable, if he falls of we don't want some
other poor ******* chopped up, but the life jacket; well he looks all
growed up to me, he can make that decision for himself.

Cheers
Marty

Done, kill cable and he can kill himself, fair enough.

On Mar 25, 8:23*pm, Marty wrote:
Wayne.B wrote:
There has been a lot of discussion about the proper way of operating a
dinghy in the Florida Keys, some of which has been well intentioned
but somewhat misinformed. *There is really only one proper technique
in the Keys, and those who have actually cruised there will recognize
it immediately. *A picture is worth a thousand words:

http://img178.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ytechniev2.jpg

Anyone have a problem with this? *Water is calm, so what. ***** people
gotta have fun, if he does something stupid while in this position so
what. *Be young, play, you'll live longer.

Cheers
Marty

Not JimH, he's so scared of everything it's a wonder he isn't bubble
wrapped. The one's doing the whining must think he's going 100 miles
per hour!

florida keys wrecks krj Cruising 6 March 10th 07 06:41 AM
Ping: Wayne B (or other SW Florida to Florida Keys veterans) NOYB General 2 February 5th 07 08:32 PM
OT - Florida Keys Finest! Lady Pilot ASA 0 October 14th 05 04:56 AM
Florida Keys Cruise Pictures Wayne.B General 9 January 10th 05 02:28 AM
Florida Keys... WillT Cruising 19 November 20th 04 09:22 PM